What's new

Individual Matrix discs vs. Ultimate Matrix Collection (1 Viewer)

Robert Burkes

Second Unit
So...a search for information on the Ultimate Matrix Collection has yielded little comparative discourse. What do you guys think? If a person owns all of the individual discs, are the audio/video upgrades enough to justify a double dip? How dramatic are the improvements? Of course, the extras are vastly expanded, but personally, the film presentation matters most by a long shot. Let's get some comparisons going! Thanks, everyone!
Rob

I'd post a link but unfortunately i haven't made 15 posts yet. Am i allowed to at least say DVDanswers has a great comparison on the video quality - only of course for the first movie, as i'm pretty positive it's the only one with an updated transfer.

As for sound - i never purchased the originals

Jonny_L

Stunt Coordinator
For the upgrade on the first movie alone justifys the $50 or so the set costs. There are lots of documentaries too. Plus the Animatrix if you didnt have that before.

Harry UK

Auditioning
The transfer on the first Matrix movie is a substantial improvement. The 5.1 track also sounded much better to me.

Some compression artefacts have been removed from Reloaded as well, so there's that improvement too.

The extras are incredible. I didn't think twice about upgrading and even though I've found it very hard to sell on my previous versions, I don't regret it at all. It's a fantastic set :)

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
Might as well wait for the High Def version to come out and see what that offers. You already have the movies, so that is the important part. By the time the High Def version is out, you could probably get the Box Set for $20. I would guess that this will be one of the first HD discs out.

I do have the box set, and I have enjoyed some of the extras and I really enjoyed the Animatrix. I don't think the extras are worth the double dip unless you are really a fanatic.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I'm still expecting Warner to release the new Matrix transfer in a single-disc edition sometime... I got the Ultimate set as a Christmas gift, so it was a painless upgrade. More room on my shelf for other DVDs! I was a bit dismayed to find that the hilarious MTV Movie Awards "Reloaded" spoof wasn't ported over, though.... guess I'll be keeping my original "Reloaded" disc.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Don't like what I've heard about The Matrix being color-timed after the fact to match the sequels.

That's almost as bad as colorizing B&W movies.

When I recently saw Matrix Revisited for $5 used, I bought it.

I'm keeping the originals.

Later saw Reloaded and Revolutions being sold together used for $13 total.

I grudgingly picked up the set just for the solid A/V experience (although I think they're empty shells film-wise).

If I can get Animatrix for $5, I'll add that too.

Spent $50 upgrading my Alien series set and sold off the old ones, but the Matrix series doesn't warrant that trouble (IMHO).

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Well, for me the new transfer of The Matrix is night-and-day in terms of improvement. I like how it matches the color of the sequels and no longer has that poo brown tint to it. :D

Ben_@

Stunt Coordinator
I think you mean green tint.
But I'm a big proponent of the Ultimate Matrix set. I'm an extras nut and the additional discs (Burly Man Chronicles and Roots of the Matrix) are great additions to the Revisited discs. The additional commentaries (especially the philosophers track) is also very interesting.
Plus, you get a sweet looking box! :)

Brian_cyberbri

Stunt Coordinator
Here is a comparison between the transfers:
http://dvd.ign.com/articles/566/566215p1.html

The first Matrix gets new colors, while the 2nd and 3rd films receive minimal upgrades.

I used this website, which lists all DVD reviews, to find it (forgot it was under "Ultimate Matrix...")
http://www.dvd-basen.dk/uk/home.php3

So whether it's worth the upgrades depends on how much of an improvement on the original you think the new colors are, how much you want to see the new behind-the-scenes stuff, and if you can think of better ways to spend $50 to upgrade a single DVD.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I hate the single-disc transfer of the first movie. The DVD beaver comparisons show about as dramatic in upgrade as I've ever seen between 2 DVDs of the same title. I just may have to spring for the $50 set (but that's the ONLY thing I need from the set! :frowning: )

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks