What's new

Indicator/Powerhouse Thread. (1 Viewer)

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Indicator's transfer on Bunny Lake is Missing and To Sir With Love is decidedly different than TT's; better contrast on both releases, and on TSWL colors tweaked to slightly more vibrant but natural looking tones. Overall, both look better in motion than TT's. I own them both, from Indicator and TT. Indicator gets top marks for adding bonus features to discs that TT only released as bare bones. Their upcoming Lady from Shanghai will restore Bogdanovich's featurette (never released since the old Columbia Classics DVD release from Sony), plus add an audio commentary. Neither of these extras appeared on the Mill Creek states side release of this deep catalog title, although the Mill Creek did advertise theirs as a 4K remaster - so likely, no new upgrade to video there. Experiment in Terror gets an audio commentary - oh boy!!! Can't wait. Price point is in English pounds, folks, so while they are 'cheaper' than TT's $30 price point, with conversion and shipping, not by much!

Finally, its rather perplexing to see Sony release a 50th anniversary of Guess Who's Coming to Dinner only a month or so after Indicator's release and while TT's has yet to sell out; considering no upgrades have been performed to extras or transfer (not that they were likely needed). But why Sony has chosen to submarine TT and Indicator's chances of reaping the profits is just 'odd'. And someone mentioned elsewhere in this thread that The Age of Innocence has yet to get a release states side. I imported mine from Amazon.jp and it looks stunning and is, as all Sony product is when shopped around Europe and Asia, region free. So if you really want it you can have it without having to wait for Sony to get off its lump over here.

While we're on the subject of MIA Sony product, it would certainly be nice to have an indie label pick up some of the 'forgotten' titles either floating around out there via obscure distributors or not available at all as yet. Madman Entertainment has two highly desirable Columbia classics currently under their banner and rendered in region free Blu-rays: Suddenly Last Summer, and Frank Capra's Lost Horizon - both looking magnificent and, IMO must haves. Fright Night is also available in Germany - region free.

We could also stand to see The Awful Truth, Theodora Runs Wild, The Talk of the Town, The Prince of Tides, The Mirror Has Two Faces, as well as reissues of Steel Magnolias, Places in the Heart and Jagged Edge and Peggy Sue Got Married; the latter two originally released thru Image but now out of print. No criticism of Sony here; but their output of deep catalog has been one of the most fragmented marketing traditions in the biz. TT, Madman, Image, Indicator, their own home video releasing apparatus; not to mention having to hunt this stuff down from virtually every continent on the planet. While Grover Crisp's telescopic focus on restoration and preservation has yielded a very precise and award-winning philosophy on 'how' film restoration work ought to be achieved, Sony's marketing arm could certainly use a little more of that same concentration. Distributing them willy-nilly like Pez candy all over the world really isn't a smart plan. At least, IMO.

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn
Indicator's transfer on Bunny Lake is Missing and To Sir With Love is decidedly different than TT's; better contrast on both releases, and on TSWL colors tweaked to slightly more vibrant but natural looking tones. Overall, both look better in motion than TT's. I own them both, from Indicator and TT. Indicator gets top marks for adding bonus features to discs that TT only released as bare bones. Their upcoming Lady from Shanghai will restore Bogdanovich's featurette (never released since the old Columbia Classics DVD release from Sony), plus add an audio commentary. Neither of these extras appeared on the Mill Creek states side release of this deep catalog title, although the Mill Creek did advertise theirs as a 4K remaster - so likely, no new upgrade to video there. Experiment in Terror gets an audio commentary - oh boy!!! Can't wait. Price point is in English pounds, folks, so while they are 'cheaper' than TT's $30 price point, with conversion and shipping, not by much!

Finally, its rather perplexing to see Sony release a 50th anniversary of Guess Who's Coming to Dinner only a month or so after Indicator's release and while TT's has yet to sell out; considering no upgrades have been performed to extras or transfer (not that they were likely needed). But why Sony has chosen to submarine TT and Indicator's chances of reaping the profits is just 'odd'. And someone mentioned elsewhere in this thread that The Age of Innocence has yet to get a release states side. I imported mine from Amazon.jp and it looks stunning and is, as all Sony product is when shopped around Europe and Asia, region free. So if you really want it you can have it without having to wait for Sony to get off its lump over here.

While we're on the subject of MIA Sony product, it would certainly be nice to have an indie label pick up some of the 'forgotten' titles either floating around out there via obscure distributors or not available at all as yet. Madman Entertainment has two highly desirable Columbia classics currently under their banner and rendered in region free Blu-rays: Suddenly Last Summer, and Frank Capra's Lost Horizon - both looking magnificent and, IMO must haves. Fright Night is also available in Germany - region free.

We could also stand to see The Awful Truth, Theodora Runs Wild, The Talk of the Town, The Prince of Tides, The Mirror Has Two Faces, as well as reissues of Steel Magnolias, Places in the Heart and Jagged Edge and Peggy Sue Got Married; the latter two originally released thru Image but now out of print. No criticism of Sony here; but their output of deep catalog has been one of the most fragmented marketing traditions in the biz. TT, Madman, Image, Indicator, their own home video releasing apparatus; not to mention having to hunt this stuff down from virtually every continent on the planet. While Grover Crisp's telescopic focus on restoration and preservation has yielded a very precise and award-winning philosophy on 'how' film restoration work ought to be achieved, Sony's marketing arm could certainly use a little more of that same concentration. Distributing them willy-nilly like Pez candy all over the world really isn't a smart plan. At least, IMO.
You talk sense............and are correct on the better quality video of Bunny lake and To Sir BD releases.......

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Regarding the pricing of TT vs. Indicator there is really no difference if you live in the US. The Indicator titles are $26.25 USD including shipping to the US. Not hard to get the same price from TT during frequent sales and paying full price is only a few dollars more.. So for people in the US these titles do not have better pricing. But with that said I welcome the titles they are releasing that TT does not have especially the Hammer films. There is always room for one more niche label.

Last edited:

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
The Lady from Shanghai, for example, has had several releases and I would have thought most people who wanted it would have it by now. Others are likely to wait for it to go on sale. TT now have frequent sales and many of their titles are now being released by others.

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
Regarding the pricing of TT vs. Indicator there is really no difference if you live in the US. The Indicator titles are $26.25 USD including shipping to the US. Not hard to get the same price from TT during frequent sales and paying full price is only a few dollars more.. So for people in the US these titles do not have better pricing. But with that said I welcome the titles they are releasing that TT does not have especially the Hammer films. There is always room for one more niche label.

If you live in the UK big difference and Region "A" locked.

Snitch

Auditioning
Real Name
Geoff
If you live in Australia, importing an Indicator title works out to a touch over half the price of a Twilight Time release.

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
Apologies, i thought they were. But hey here we go again talking about TT on the Indicator thread.....now how did that happen.

I was tempted tonight to pick up Vampires, but a bit skint at the moment, PQ on this one is said to be good but not the best.

Ferdinand Hudson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ronnie
Seeing as the Indicator titles drop to £14.99 (price incl. VAT) before release date US customers would only pay about US$19.40 incl shipping and the VAT taken off.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Apologies, i thought they were. But hey here we go again talking about TT on the Indicator thread.....now how did that happen.

I was tempted tonight to pick up Vampires, but a bit skint at the moment, PQ on this one is said to be good but not the best.

It happened because you stated that their releases were Region A locked and someone called you on it (me) and Twilight Time corrected you. I find it rather astonishing that as long as they've been in business you would not know that the majority of their titles were region free.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Seeing as the Indicator titles drop to £14.99 (price incl. VAT) before release date US customers would only pay about US$19.40 incl shipping and the VAT taken off.
Not sure how you are figuring that. Current exchange rate is 1.25 us for pound. They charge 4.99 pound for us shipping so if they dropped the price to 14.99 pounds then that only changes the price from 26.25 to $25.00. Looking at the website I still see 15.99 for all titles including previously released.

Ferdinand Hudson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ronnie
Not sure how you are figuring that. Current exchange rate is 1.25 us for pound. They charge 4.99 pound for us shipping so if they dropped the price to 14.99 pounds then that only changes the price from 26.25 to $25.00. Looking at the website I still see 15.99 for all titles including previously released.
I am talking about Amazon UK prices. They charge £14.99 at time of release. Since they drop the VAT for non-EU purchases the price goes down to £12.49. Add to that shipping of £2.09 + £0.99 that equals £15.47 which now comes to US$19.28 at XE's current conversion rate.

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
It happened because you stated that their releases were Region A locked and someone called you on it (me) and Twilight Time corrected you. I find it rather astonishing that as long as they've been in business you would not know that the majority of their titles were region free.

Nobody is perfect, i don't own that many TT titles. What i find astonishing is the fact you are so riled up over a label that might again be better than TT for a release which comes over with every one of your posts.

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
I'm utterly delighted that Indicator have said they'll be releasing Cash On Demand. It's one of my all-time favourite films, and despite the transfer on the US DVD being pretty good (part of Sony's 'Hammer Icons of Suspense' set), it'll be lovely to have it in HD, and hopefully with some intriguing extras.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Barry, my apologies for lingering a little longer on Indicator comparisons with Twilight Time on your thread, but now that it has come up so forcefully here...

When Indicator recently surfaced, their raft of titles that had already been released by TT, their limited-edition trading model, transfers, booklets, many extras, some with TT's own commentaries etc. all bore an uncanny resemblance to TT.

As they were using TT's own commentaries, I even wondered whether Mr Redman was somehow involved in the Indicator label back in his native homeland. It seemed that there had at least been cooperation between the labels, if not outright collaboration.

Some defensive posts here have given me the impression that perhaps Indicator is now seen as a potential threat to TT. What do I know about these things, but I'd have thought that the lion's share of TT sales are to US customers (especially HTF members), and the remainder to a minor overseas group of devoted classic film-lovers (I count myself in that number). I just can't see that the rise of a new label in the UK threatens TT, nor weakens its rightly loyal following here on HTF.

If there are no links between the two labels and Indicator is seen as a threat, then I wonder why TT would even license its value-adding commentaries to Indicator.

If anyone here knows the nature of the relationship (if any) between the two labels, and is at liberty to share, then I for one would be interested to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks