What's new

Indicator/Powerhouse Thread. (1 Viewer)

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
I agree that there's no reason to knock a label, which is why I posted here - not knocking Indicator at all, but just clarifying that these transfers are all the same, so if one is blown away by the PQ one should not act like that PQ hasn't been available before. That and that TT is, in fact, licensing them a lot of their extras.
I don't think anyone did?

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
All of these films getting another release. Wow! And Sony doesn't have TT or Criterion release The Age of
Innocence here in the US though it's out in Europe. Just don't understand...

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
...just clarifying that these transfers are all the same, so if one is blown away by the PQ one should not act like that PQ hasn't been available before.

What?

Several films which TT has released, indeed the same transfers, have had prior release in Europe by other labels. So by your reasoning here, should members make the same comment you've made here, whenever there's HTF praise for a stellar TT title that has had prior release elsewhere?

I'm a big TT supporter and have purchased over 40 Blus from them in the past couple of years (which I know is peanuts compared to some). Yet this thread is about Indicator/Powerhouse and I see no need for it to be turned into a face-off versus TT. Both are very fine labels indeed, and there's room for both to serve our wants.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
What?

Several films which TT has released, indeed the same transfers, have had prior release in Europe by other labels. So by your reasoning here, should members make the same comment you've made here, whenever there's HTF praise for a stellar TT title that has had prior release elsewhere?

I'm a big TT supporter and have purchased over 40 Blus from them in the past couple of years (which I know is peanuts compared to some). Yet this thread is about Indicator/Powerhouse and I see no need for it to be turned into a face-off versus TT. Both are very fine labels indeed, and there's room for both to serve our wants.

Absolutely - praise the label that originally released it. Why not? If it's a great transfer, they deserve praise for issuing it first.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
What?

I can't recall anyone ever suggesting that Twilight Time's discs have better picture quality than any previously seen when they derive from the same master. The recent case of Two For The Road is a good example.

Last edited:

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
I can't recall anyone ever suggesting that Twilight Time's disc have better picture quality than any previously seen when they derive from the same master. The recent case of Two For The Road is a good example.

...and neither was there comment of that nature on this thread re Indicator prior to Bruce's post that I quoted above. The OP praised the PQ of Indicator's releases and later wrote about better encodes, which can in some cases have marked impact (see Olive's two The Quiet Man releases, for instance).

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Sorry, the original poster has a long history of disliking the Twilight Time business model (see his post about the pricing in this very thread). It's disingenuous to act like these releases are first releases of transfers that have already been out elsewhere. The bushwa about encodes is hilarious to anyone who's actually taken part in the authoring process. And even the Beaver, when he quotes the usual bits and bytes business qualifies it with most people would not notice any difference. The Olive situation with The Quiet Man is completely different. Anyway, good luck to all labels everywhere.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
A little more information on Indicator/Powerhouse releases:

#PHIDFE001 - CHRISTINE (1983, John Carpenter)
#PHIDFE002 - BODY DOUBLE (1984, Brian De Palma)
#PHIDFE003 - GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER (1967, Stanley Kramer)
#PHIDFE004 - TO SIR, WITH LOVE (1967, James Clavell)
#PHIDFE005 - 10 RILLINGTON PLACE (1971, Richard Fleischer)
#PHIDFE006 - HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME (1981, J. Lee Thompson)
#PHIDFE008 - BUNNY LAKE IS MISSING (1965, Otto Preminger)*
#PHIDFE009 - FAT CITY (1972, John Huston)**
#PHIDFE010 - THE LAST DETAIL (1973, Hal Ashby)*
#PHIDFE012 - THE ANDERSON TAPES (1971, Sidney Lumet)*
#PHIDFE013 - THE NEW CENTURIONS (1972, Richard Fleischer)
#PHIDFE016 - THE BIG HEAT (1953, Fritz Lang)**
#PHIDFE019 - VAMPIRES (1998, John Carpenter)
#PHIDFE020 - GHOSTS OF MARS (2001, John Carpenter)
#PHIDFE027 - THE FRONT (1976, Martin Ritt)**

* Due out next week
** Due out next month

Coming soon:

#PHIDFE007 - THE LADY FROM SHANGHAI (1947, Orson Welles)
#PHIDFE011 - EXPERIMENT IN TERROR (1962, Blake Edwards)

Confirmed:

THE SINBAD TRILOGY
- THE 7TH VOYAGE OF SINBAD (1958, Nathan Juran)
- THE GOLDEN VOYAGE OF SINBAD (1973, Gordon Hessler)
- SINBAD AND THE EYE OF THE TIGER (1977, Sam Wanamaker)
THE REVENGE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1958, Terence Fisher)
NEVER TAKE SWEETS FROM A STRANGER (1960, Cyril Frankel)
CASH ON DEMAND (1961, Quentin Lawrence)
MYSTERIOUS ISLAND (1961, Cy Enfield)
THE CURSE OF THE MUMMY'S TOMB (1964, Michael Carreras)
FIRST MEN IN THE MOON (1964, Nathan Juran)
MICKEY ONE (1965, Arthur Penn)
THE CHASE (1966, Arthur Penn)
THE DEADLY AFFAIR (1966, Sidney Lumet)
THE WRONG BOX (1966, Bryan Forbes)
THE MIND OF MR. SOAMES (1970, Alan Cooke)
SEE NO EVIL (1971, Richard Fleischer)
THE NATIONAL HEALTH (1973, Jack Gold)
THE STONE KILLER (1973, Michael Winner)
EYES OF LAURA MARS (1978, Irvin Kershner)
HARDCORE (1979, Paul Schrader)
BIRDY (1984, Alan Parker)
STARMAN (1984, John Carpenter)
WOLF (1994, Mike Nichols)

I'm definitely thrilled that these guys have joined the ranks of boutique labels releasing films on blu-ray. So far I have not picked anything up from them because I have been a regular buyer of Twilight Time releases and they have been covering a lot of the same titles. However, I am keeping an eye on what they are doing and appreciate having a thread about them here that keeps track of what they have coming out. I will certainly support Indicator/Powerhouse by purchasing their releases when they put out something I am looking for. And there are some titles on that list that fit that bill.

Do you have any releases from them yet, Barry, and what do you think of them?

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
STARMAN is not on their future releases:

Not sure where they received that information, we don't have that title in our deal with Sony. It's obviously one we would love to have, so it's high on our wishlist as you can imagine. Hope that helps clear things up.
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=13264894&postcount=1847

I'm also looking forward to seeing announcements from this label.
In terms of extras, some blurays seem to have more comparing to the TT ones:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-ray_reviews_70/the_last_detail_blu-ray.htm
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-ray_reviews_71/10_rillington_place_blu-ray.htm
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-ray_reviews_62_/body_double_blu-ray.htm

Maybe I'll wait on some TT blurays in case Indicator releases them, since they are cheaper too.

Does anyone know, do they have a deal only with Sony right now?

Last edited:

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
i noticed they are using some TT supplements on certain titles. Notably Nick Redman and Julie Kirgo's audio commentary.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, the original poster has a long history of disliking the Twilight Time business model (see his post about the pricing in this very thread). It's disingenuous to act like these releases are first releases of transfers that have already been out elsewhere. The bushwa about encodes is hilarious to anyone who's actually taken part in the authoring process. And even the Beaver, when he quotes the usual bits and bytes business qualifies it with most people would not notice any difference. The Olive situation with The Quiet Man is completely different. Anyway, good luck to all labels everywhere.

Yes, the original poster did seem to have a bit of an agenda that I almost asked him if he was employed or connected in any way with this label.

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
Yes, the original poster did seem to have a bit of an agenda that I almost asked him if he was employed or connected in any way with this label.
Sorry, an agenda? I started a thread about Indicator Powerhouse releases and a certain person has jumped all over it with various claims and put downs and you are honestly saying it is me with the agenda????

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
No one in this thread has put anyone down at any time in any post.

Then why post in the manner you have in an international thread that had nothing to do with TT?

I answered your posts with honest reply's and i have nothing against TT business model.

"Slightly better encode but very close"

" I believe TT to be overpriced IMO"

Neither of which has never been said before.

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
I'm definitely thrilled that these guys have joined the ranks of boutique labels releasing films on blu-ray. So far I have not picked anything up from them because I have been a regular buyer of Twilight Time releases and they have been covering a lot of the same titles. However, I am keeping an eye on what they are doing and appreciate having a thread about them here that keeps track of what they have coming out. I will certainly support Indicator/Powerhouse by purchasing their releases when they put out something I am looking for. And there are some titles on that list that fit that bill.

Do you have any releases from them yet, Barry, and what do you think of them?

Yes Reggie i have Christine and 10 Rillington Place both excellent, PQ is superb, and a very informative booklet.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Got this email with the announcements.
indiciator.png

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks