What's new

Indicator/Powerhouse Sale International Good Deals /Expensive Shipping to US (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
POWERHOUSE October Sale is slated to started Friday October 7 (2pm BST -- I think that's 9am ET) ending 11:59pm UK time October 16 (7pm ET)

Many of their items are Region Free, but certainly not all. They are one of the best at labelling the Region status of their discs and one of trhe few retail sites I actually trust (assuming folks require region open discs)

Often some very good deals of quality disc.
Yes shipping can be expensive -- normally they ship some variation of FedEx Priority/Express so items arrive 3-5 days after shipping.

Assuming the usual pattern FS is £200 so making 1 large order can be very useful if you have a long wishlist. With current exchange rates, that's significantly less USD/CAD than in prior sales. Many HTF and.or Blu-ray.com members have often combined orders to meet the FS threshhold and saved a significant amount so if you only have a few items, it's definitely worthwhile to find a small group

Normally there has been around a 6 month window on releases before they are part of a sale so items released mid-late March and earlier.
I placed my order for 16 titles.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
the last sale was 5 for 40 and I grabbed all of the Randolf Scott titles they had, that was previouly in a box set currently OOP!! Now this one...3 for 15 is even nicer, but I do have a lot of thier titles!!

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Nothing that's newer than six months and since Remember the Night is a pre-order, the answer is no.
Actually "Remember The Night" did go down in price a bit. It was 18.99 pounds. It s currently 15.83 pounds. So not included in the big sale but there is a discount. Also remember if you include a preorder, all movies in your order won't ship until the preorder is released and you are charged at the time you place your order, not when the order is shipped.

s vers

The dollar is currently very strong against the pound make these deals even better.

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I used to buy from Amazon UK because their charges were reasonable but after the internationally agreed shipping charges hike in 2020 (that I believe was repealed by the Trump administration) Amazon UK have yet to reduce their charges. I find the item cost, shipping charges ($5 fixed) and service at Rarewaves better suits my physical media needs!
You have it backward - it was the Trump administration that *insisted* on the higher charges to "level the field" - mostly against China but other countries as well. It's not yet been repealed and some vendors just eat the increased cost. But that's venturing into political stuff... no further comment...

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Dang! Between the sale and the historically great exchange rate (for us Americans) -- had not realized quite how low the GBP sank til I checked just now -- will be very hard to resist placing a big (enough for FS) order even though I just placed a huge order in the Kino sale... :lol:

_Man_

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Dang! Between the sale and the historically great exchange rate (for us Americans) -- had not realized quite how low the GBP sank til I checked just now -- will be very hard to resist placing a big (enough for FS) order even though I just placed a huge order in the Kino sale... :lol:

_Man_
I feel your pain!!! :eek::eek::eek:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I feel your pain!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Pain indeed (and not just on the wallet, but my limited storage space too, LOL)... Gonna need to widdle down my cart a bit for this one too now... after initially finding it hard to get to that free-shipping point, LOL -- given the current, extraordinarily favorable exchange rate, even the non-sale items/titles are essentially/effectively on sale because of that, which opened up the possibilities... :lol:

_Man_

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
Having just placed this order last Friday, here it is Wednesday and I’ve received the FedEx box with all 22 titles ordered, securely bubble wrapped and taped in bundles. Very impressed with not just the prices but the prompt shipping (expedited was only a tiny amount more than regular). I’m particularly thrilled to get Young Winston (1972, directed by Richard Attenborough), a really fine film. Other treasures I could never find available on Blu-ray in the US were See No Evil (1971) with Mia Farrow, The Collector (1965, William Wyler), Footsteps in the Fog (1955), The Pumpkin Eater (1964), Missing (1982, one of 2 Region B locked I ordered), and I bought extra copies of The Wrong Box (1966), which has been a top 10 favorite since its original release. Most of the films at £4 apiece were incredible bargains, particularly with current exchange rates. I’ll certainly keep an eye out for future sales and new releases from the Indicator website.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Having just placed this order last Friday, here it is Wednesday and I’ve received the FedEx box with all 22 titles ordered, securely bubble wrapped and taped in bundles. Very impressed with not just the prices but the prompt shipping (expedited was only a tiny amount more than regular). I’m particularly thrilled to get Young Winston (1972, directed by Richard Attenborough), a really fine film. Other treasures I could never find available on Blu-ray in the US were See No Evil (1971) with Mia Farrow, The Collector (1965, William Wyler), Footsteps in the Fog (1955), The Pumpkin Eater (1964), Missing (1982, one of 2 Region B locked I ordered), and I bought extra copies of The Wrong Box (1966), which has been a top 10 favorite since its original release. Most of the films at £4 apiece were incredible bargains, particularly with current exchange rates. I’ll certainly keep an eye out for future sales and new releases from the Indicator website.
My 16 disc order from last Friday arrived today and chose the same shipping method as you did. Securely bubble wrapped and taped in bundles.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

NEW YEAR OFFER​

As a special one-off to celebrate the start of a new year, we are running a 10% discount offer across all still-in-print Limited Editions which were released prior to December 2022 (so, for the sake of clarity, that includes UNIVERSAL NOIR #1, but does not include REMEMBER THE NIGHT, ENTER SANTO, THE BIG GUNDOWN, MAGIC, MYTH & MUTILATION, or any of our Standard Editions). If you wish to take advantage of this very limited catalogue discount offer, just add any eligible title, or titles, to your cart and enter the code NEWYEAR at the checkout. This special one-off offer runs for four days only and ends at 10am GMT on Monday 16 January.

Also FYI This is all international not just Powerhouse so items will not ship until situation is resolved.

ROYAL MAIL INTERNATIONAL EXPORT SERVICES

Royal Mail is experiencing severe service disruption to our international export services following a cyber incident.

We are temporarily unable to despatch items to overseas destinations. To support faster recovery when our service is restored and to prevent a build-up of export items in our network, we’re asking customers not to post international items until further notice. Items that have already been despatched may be subject to delays. We would like to sincerely apologise to impacted customers for any disruption this incident is causing.

Last edited:

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Is anyone able to confirm whether the Indicator release of Remember the Night (1940) is the same transfer as the old Universal blu-ray from 2014 (which was recycled again in 2018, scratches and all? There's nothing on their website to suggest otherwise ("UK Premiere"). They would have said "new scan/remastered/restored", if this was the case. But there certainly are a lot of exclusive extras, and improved subtitles.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Is anyone able to confirm whether the Indicator release of Remember the Night (1940) is the same transfer as the old Universal blu-ray from 2014 (which was recycled again in 2018, scratches and all? There's nothing on their website to suggest otherwise ("UK Premiere"). They would have said "new scan/remastered/restored", if this was the case. But there certainly are a lot of exclusive extras, and improved subtitles.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I was pretty impressed with the two movie Hammer Robin Hood set. Enjoyable, and it looks great.
However I did not know that it was region locked. Luckily my Panasonic player could bypass that and play it.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
MARCH SALE starts tomorrow -- 2pm UK time which I think is around 10am ET currently

Often very good deals IF you have a large order since shipping is Free and Express if you buy over £200. Some people save up and buy once a year, others find doing a combined group buy and having one person ship to a small number of others to be far more cost effective than each person paying $20+
There are some US versions of POWERHOUSE titles now, but often are significantly more expensive than the UK Sale prices and sales on US versions have been minimal so far (and an tiny number or titles).

Region Coding on the Powerhouse site is pretty accurate. About 2/3 of the items are Region Free and if you have an unmodded Panasonic player the TOP MENU trick is nearly 100% effective.

I think I wiped out most of my wishlist in Nov

Normally sale items exclude most things released in the last 4-6 months so many of the very nice newer LE will not be part of the sale.

cinefan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stephen
I just ordered from this sale and picked up the following 14 titles (heavy on Ray Harryhausen and Stanley Kramer):

FIRST MEN IN THE MOON - BD
MYSTERIOUS ISLAND - BD
THE 3 WORLDS OF GULLIVER - BD
THE GOLDEN VOYAGE OF SINBAD - BD
SINBAD AND THE EYE OF THE TIGER - BD
THE 7TH VOYAGE OF SINBAD - BD
IT CAME FROM BENEATH THE SEA - BD
20 MILLION MILES TO EARTH - BD
SHIP OF FOOLS - BD
THE WILD ONE - BD
THE 5,000 FINGERS OF DR. T - BD
BODY DOUBLE - BD
SUDDENLY, LAST SUMMER - BD
THE DAMNED - BD

These were all on their 3 for £15 list (they require, I think, a minimum of 3 titles but not an exact multiple of 3 to realize the savings) and all are supposed to be Region Free (I've found Indicator's region reporting on their website to be accurate in the past).

So this was nowhere near their £200 free shipping threshold. But after VAT removal and selecting their least expensive shipping option to the states ("US & Canada Parcel Tracked Shipping") my total was £75.50 GBP. My no-international-fee credit card charged me USD $92.86. So about $6.63 on a per title basis. I think that's pretty good.

We'll see how long the shipping takes but my past experiences with ordering from them was been 100% positive (shipping, packaging, the discs themselves) and I really like their curation of extras -- high quality stuff.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I just ordered from this sale and picked up the following 14 titles (heavy on Ray Harryhausen and Stanley Kramer):

FIRST MEN IN THE MOON - BD
MYSTERIOUS ISLAND - BD
THE 3 WORLDS OF GULLIVER - BD
THE GOLDEN VOYAGE OF SINBAD - BD
SINBAD AND THE EYE OF THE TIGER - BD
THE 7TH VOYAGE OF SINBAD - BD
IT CAME FROM BENEATH THE SEA - BD
20 MILLION MILES TO EARTH - BD
SHIP OF FOOLS - BD
THE WILD ONE - BD
THE 5,000 FINGERS OF DR. T - BD
BODY DOUBLE - BD
SUDDENLY, LAST SUMMER - BD
THE DAMNED - BD

These were all on their 3 for £15 list (they require, I think, a minimum of 3 titles but not an exact multiple of 3 to realize the savings) and all are supposed to be Region Free (I've found Indicator's region reporting on their website to be accurate in the past).

So this was nowhere near their £200 free shipping threshold. But after VAT removal and selecting their least expensive shipping option to the states ("US & Canada Parcel Tracked Shipping") my total was £75.50 GBP. My no-international-fee credit card charged me USD $92.86. So about $6.63 on a per title basis. I think that's pretty good.

We'll see how long the shipping takes but my past experiences with ordering from them was been 100% positive (shipping, packaging, the discs themselves) and I really like their curation of extras -- high quality stuff.

Shipping is a bit of a hit or miss though packaging in normally 1st rate.
Unless you have a preorder or something is oversold at the warehouse, I've often had dispatch notices in less than 24 hours and once in 6.
Their £200 free shipping is normally FedEx Express and I've never had to wait more than 4 Business days
The one time I used their cheap/tracked shipping a couple months ago I think it took around 14 days Royal Mail/USPS (2/8 to 2/23)

I thought I had cleaned out the list, but I found just enough items to sneak into the FS so why not. I bout 3 of the new release items to get me over the threshold, but it ended up less than $10 more to buy those now than the £160 order + £35 shipping

cinefan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stephen
Shipping is a bit of a hit or miss though packaging in normally 1st rate.
Unless you have a preorder or something is oversold at the warehouse, I've often had dispatch notices in less than 24 hours and once in 6.
My 3/25 order took a while to dispatch, not shipping until 4/5. They said they were a bit overwhelmed by the volume of orders in this sale. But my discs arrived today at my NYS address only a week after shipping. Royal Mail/USPS. The packaging for shipment was impeccable. I'm looking forward to a Ray Harryhausen fest.

20230412_151020.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks