What's new

Indicator : HAMMER VOL.4 (1 Viewer)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
It would actually be the 2nd Hammer Adventure film box if that's what they choose to call it. Volume 3 was the 1st one and it must have sold well enough. It was a great set. As a Hammer fan I couldn't see passing up any. This is one of the cases where the extras are almost worth the price. Usually I don't care much about extras but these are so well done and informative. But I like all the films to varying degrees of course but find all of them worthwhile. The adventure films are on par with the 50's adventure films Universal and Columbia were putting out.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I wish some of these titles were sold separately instead of having to buy a whole set of 4. One of the sets I only bought because it had The Stranglers of Bombay on it. Terror of The Tongs is okay too, but I didn't care about the other 2 titles in the set, however in order to get the 1 or 2 you like you have to spend more money than you would want just to get something you do want. These sets aren't cheap either even when they're on sale.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I received the set (mine is #1124) and immediately watched The Revenge of Frankenstein. Amazing transfer! It transported me to 1958 when I saw it for the first time. The next day I watched the Jekyll movie. That must have been edited for US consumption. Anyway, I agree with your comments, and I look forward to the other 2 films.
The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll was heavily edited for US release. It was cut to 75 minutes and released as House of Fright by American International in 1961. A lot of the language that was considered bad at the time was changed to less offensive words as well as removing scenes like the snake dance.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll was heavily edited for US release. It was cut to 75 minutes and released as House of Fright by American International in 1961. A lot of the language that was considered bad at the time was changed to less offensive words as well as removing scenes like the snake dance.
The snake dance is in THE TWO FACES OF DR. JEKYLL that is on the disc, as well as lots of foul language from Oliver Reed, who plays a drunken lout in a bar--now that's a real stretch--so I'm assuming this is the UK version.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
The snake dance is in THE TWO FACES OF DR. JEKYLL that is on the disc, as well as lots of foul language from Oliver Reed, who plays a drunken lout in a bar--now that's a real stretch--so I'm assuming this is the UK version.
There is no bad language from Reed's character it's mostly from Paul Massie as Mr. Hyde.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Yes The DVD and Blu Ray releases of this film have been the 90 minute UK cut under the original title.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
There is no bad language from Reed's character it's mostly from Paul Massie as Mr. Hyde.
How unReed-like of him. My memory is of him mouthing obscenities. So much for memory. I haven't watched the film all the way through yet--though I have watched a really interesting extra about Monty (007) Norman's soundtrack, which includes a clip of the snake dance.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
This is another fabulous box set from Indicator.

My main interest in this set was THE DAMNED and TASTE OF FEAR. I'm not a fan of Hammer's gothic horrors but I do love their black and white thrillers and dramas. I saw both films when first released and although it may seem unlikely today, back in 1961, my teenage friends and I were terrified by TASTE OF FEAR and we were all taken aback by the numerous twists and turns of plot. Joseph Losey's THE DAMNED is one of Hammer's most fascinatingly bold films - intriguing and thought provoking but with the science fiction elements never quite gelling with the parallel biker gang plotline. Both films have never looked better in gloriously crisp black and white 2.35:1 widescreen.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Indicator announced the titles for volume 5:
Visa to Canton aka Passport to China - this is a nice surprise one of the few hammer films I have never seen. I believe this is the 1st home video release ever for this film.
The Pirates of Blood River
The Scarlet Blade aka The Crimson Blade
The Brigand of Kandahar

I'm surprised this volume did not include the Devil-Ship pirates with Christopher Lee but I am happy it includes The Scarlet Blade and The Brigand of Kandahar both fun small scale action movies similar to the adventure pictures Universal made in 1950's. There are still 4-4 Sony Hammers left so hopefully there is a volume 6

Larry Gelfand

Premium
Real Name
Larry Gelfand
Indicator announced the titles for volume 5:
Visa to Canton aka Passport to China - this is a nice surprise one of the few hammer films I have never seen. I believe this is the 1st home video release ever for this film.
The Pirates of Blood River
The Scarlet Blade aka The Crimson Blade
The Brigand of Kandahar

Region B locked according to Indicator's product page.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Yes they were not available to them in the UK even though its Colombia Studio Canal holds the UK rights. But Someone in the US could still obtain the rights.
Good, I hope Twilight Time release Devil Ship Pirates. They released a Nice, Blood River and Sword of SF Bluray.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Good, I hope Twilight Time release Devil Ship Pirates. They released a Nice, Blood River and Sword of SF Bluray.
They don't seem to be releasing anything anymore. Since Shout is doing studio canal I would think they would be the likely ones to release it in the US

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
They don't seem to be releasing anything anymore. Since Shout is doing studio canal I would think they would be the likely ones to release it in the US
Yes I noticed Randy. I don't know what is going on with Twilight Time. ?? But Shout ! has been doing an Amazing job on Hammer and Universal Classics on Bluray. 2019 was a Great Shout year for my Bluray movie collection. It looks like this year is starting off fine with Rasputin,Capt. Kronos and a New Curse of the Werewolf coming ! : )

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks