1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Indicator : HAMMER VOL.4

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by RICK BOND, Sep 5, 2019.

1. RICK BOND

RICK BOND Second Unit

RICK
    Release date is November 18th for ... Revenge of Frankenstein, The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll, The Damned, and Taste of Fear ! All Restored ! Finally !

2. Message #2 of 30 Sep 5, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    Billy Batson

Billy Batson Producer

Alan
    Yup, a new Sony 4K restoration for Revenge Of Frankenstein, & the box is multi-region.

HAMMER VOLUME FOUR: FACES OF FEAR

THE REVENGE OF FRANKENSTEIN (Terence Fisher, 1958)
    THE TWO FACES OF DR. JEKYLL (Terence Fisher, 1960)
    TASTE OF FEAR (Seth Holt, 1961)
    THE DAMNED (Joseph Losey, 1962)

Release date: 18 November 2019
    Limited Blu-ray Edition (UK premieres on Blu-ray)

Four classic Hammer chillers presented on Blu-ray for the very first time in the UK. Accompanied by a wealth of new and archival extras – including exclusive new documentaries, audio commentaries, alternative versions, new and archival cast and crew interviews, a series of appreciations of their female stars, analyses of their composers’ scores, and extensive booklets – this stunning limited edition box set is strictly limited to 6,000 units.

INDICATOR LIMITED BLU-RAY EDITION BOX SET SPECIAL FEATURES:

THE REVENGE OF FRANKENSTEIN

• New 4K restoration
    • Original mono audio
    • New and exclusive documentary about the film, produced by Hammer expert Marcus Hearn (2019)
    • Audio commentary by celebrated horror and fantasy authors Stephen Jones and Kim Newman (2019)
    • A Frankenstein for the 20th Century (2019): video essay by film historian Kat Ellinger and Dima Ballin
    • Hammer's Women – Eunice Gayson (2019): profile of the Hammer star by critic and film historian Pamela Hutchinson
    • David Huckvale on Leonard Salzedo (2019): new appreciation of the renowned composer by the author of Hammer Film Scores and the Musical Avant-Garde
    • Super 8 version: original cut-down home cinema presentation
    • Original theatrical trailer
    • Trailer commentary (2013): short critical appreciation by filmmaker Joe Dante
    • Image gallery: on-set and promotional photography
    • New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
    • Limited edition box set exclusive booklet with new essays by Marcus Hearn and Kieran Foster, archival interview materials, historical articles, contemporary reviews, and film credits
    • UK premiere on Blu-ray

THE TWO FACES OF DR. JEKYLL

• High Definition remaster
    • Original mono audio
    • New and exclusive documentary about the film, produced by Hammer expert Marcus Hearn (2019)
    • Audio commentary by film historians Josephine Botting and Jonathan Rigby (2019)
    • Interview with Paul Massie (1967): rare archival audio interview with the film’s star
    • Hammer's Women – Dawn Addams (2019): British cinema expert Laura Mayne explores the life and career of the UK-born star
    • David Huckvale on Monty Norman (2019): new appreciation of the renowned composer
    • Trailer commentary (2013): short critical appreciation by Josh Olson
    • Limited edition box set exclusive booklet with a new essay by Kat Ellinger, archival interview materials, historical articles, contemporary reviews and film credits
    • UK premiere on Blu-ray

TASTE OF FEAR

• High Definition remaster
    • Original mono audio
    • Alternative presentation with US Scream of Fear title sequence
    • Audio commentary with Kevin Lyons, editor of The Encyclopedia of Fantastic Film and Television (2019)
    • The BFI Interview with Jimmy Sangster (2008): archival audio recording of the celebrated filmmaker and screenwriter in conversation with Marcus Hearn at London’s National Film Theatre
    • The BEHP Video interview with Jimmy Sangster (2008): archival video recording, made as part of the British Entertainment History Project, featuring Sangster in conversation with Jonathan Rigby
    • The BEHP Interview with Douglas Slocombe – Part Two (1988): archival audio recording, made as part of the British Entertainment History Project, featuring the renowned cinematographer in conversation with Sidney Cole
    • Fear Makers (2019): interviews with camera operator Desmond Davis, assistant editor John Crome and clapper loader Ray Andrew
    • Hammer's Women – Ann Todd (2019): Melanie Williams, author of Female Stars of British Cinema profiles the English star and producer
    • David Huckvale on Clifton Parker (2019): new appreciation of the renowned composer
    • Super 8 version of Scream of Fear: original cut-down home cinema presentation
    • Trailer commentary (2013): short critical appreciation by Sam Hamm
    • Limited edition box set exclusive booklet with an essay by Marcus Hearn, archival interview materials, historical articles, contemporary reviews and film credits
    • UK premiere on Blu-ray

THE DAMNED

• New 2K restoration
    • Original mono audio
    • Two presentations of the film: The Damned, the original UK theatrical release version; and These Are the Damned, the complete and uncut restoration which first premiered in 2007
    • Audio commentary by film historians Samm Deighan and Kat Ellinger (2019)
    • Beneath the Surface (2019): new interview with filmmaker Gavrik Losey, son of director Joseph Losey
    • Interview with actor Shirley Anne Field (2019)
    • Interview with screenwriter Evan Jones (2010)
    • Children of 'The Damned' (2019): new interviews with actors Kit Williams, David Palmer and Christopher Witty
    • Hammer's Women – Viveca Lindfors (2019): profile of the renowned actor by critic and film historian Lindsay Hallam
    • David Huckvale on James Bernard (2019): new appreciation of the celebrated composer
    • Beyond Black Leather (2019): appreciation by film expert I Q Hunter
    • No Future (2019): analysis by author and film historian Neil Sinyard
    • Trailer commentary (2013): short critical appreciation by filmmaker Joe Dante
    • Limited edition box set exclusive booklet with a new essay by Richard Combs, archival interview materials, historical articles, contemporary reviews and film credits
    • UK premiere on Blu-ray

Limited edition box set of 6,000 numbered units
    All extras subject to change

#PHILTD089
    BBFC cert: 15
    REGION FREE
    EAN: 5060697920024

3. Message #3 of 30 Sep 5, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    marcco00

marcco00 Second Unit

marc
    Yesss!!! Revenge of Frankenstein is my favortie Hammer Horror!!!

And look at all the extras!!!

aPhil likes this.
  4. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Another great set with a new 4K transfer of Revenge of Frankenstein. The previous old transfer released by Mill Creek was not very good so this should look a lot better. Looking forward to this set. 4 good Hammer films.

5. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    I only wish that Indicator could have gone outside the Columbia catalog and given us X-THE UNKNOWN rather than or in addition to TWO FACES OF DR. JEKYLL. I rather guess that X will come from Shout!/Scream eventually, though.

Great news about REVENGE, as it looked pretty shoddy on the Mill Creek double-feature and not up to the usual Sony transfer quality.

Wish Warner Bros would do the same for CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN!

6. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Indicator only has deals with Columbia and Universal.

7. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    No love for the great The Damned directed by Losey?

8. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Producer

Big love from me and my chief reason for getting the set (well, that, and that I have all the others). "Black leather...black leather...!"

9. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Yes its a great Hammer sci-fi and one rarely seen in the US which accounts for the lack of love

Timothy Bodzioney likes this.
  10. aPhil

aPhil Supporting Actor

Phil Smoot
    The Mill Creek Blu-ray of The Revenge of Frankenstein was just the awful HD transfer used for the old DVD.
    This new 4K Restoration is really exciting to me.
    I’ve longed for this classic to look its best.
    My favorite of the 6 Peter Cushing @ Hammer Frankenstein films.

Agreed as to Warner doing the same for The Curse of Frankenstein,
    but Warner really stuck the middle finger to Hammer Film fans with their re-use of a decade old scan for Horror of Dracula -- That was not what fans of the Hammer Vampire Classic had waited to see.

Stephen PI and marcco00 like this.
  11. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    Hopefully that will change, as it did for Kino as they struck deals with several new studios, and Shout! even got hold of some Paramount stuff. This may be the last hurrah for studios who wish to monetize their catalog beyond streaming, which (contrary to contentions by supporters), is clearly inferior to the PQ quality of Blu-ray.

Randy Korstick likes this.
  12. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Producer

Alan
    Yup, a Sony 4K restoration, so however it looks, I'm sure it'll look as good as it possibly can do.

aPhil likes this.
  13. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Cinematographer

CraB
    I wish Indicator had the rights to the entire Hammer catalogue. The first three sets are amazing.

14. Message #14 of 30 Dec 6, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    lark144

lark144 Supporting Actor

mark gross
    I received this set today.

As stated above, it's Region Free & also limited to 6,000 units. Mine, for the record, was 3704.

Anyway, the big draw of course is THE REVENGE OF FRANKENSTEIN, the first Hammer film I ever saw, on a double bill with CURSE OF THE DEMON, It's a 4k scan from the original negative, and to these eyes on my 32 inch screen, it looks perfect. The detail is amazing, as well as the color, which is muted, considering the surroundings, yet boldly saturated (especially when Eunice Gayson appears in her brightly colored frocks). The scene near the beginning where Peter Cushing is showing Francis Matthews a mechanism that approximates the human brain with eyes and a hand in separate jars of formaldehyde looks three-dimensional. I remember being wowed by the color in this scene at the tender age of seven, which certainly wasn't the case with the atrocious DVD and even worse Mill Creek BD. Well, we can now all be wowed again. This is by far the best BD I've seen so far of a Hammer film, especially in that the detail is so precise you can revel in the specifics of the sets and familiar faces, as well as Jack Asher's colored spotlights. It looks very healthy. I think they did a remarkable job.

THE DAMNED (THESE ARE THE DAMNED) is possibly the most packed with informative extras; lots of stuff both in the booklet and on the disc about Joseph Losey's involvement, the panicked reactions of the people from Hammer and Columbia when they saw his cut, etc. The master is from "a 2k restoration supervised by Grover Crisp" according to the booklet, and it looks magnificent. To me, it looks even better in terms of the light and contrast than the German BD which was released over the summer and I believe has the same master. The first disc has what I believe is Losey's original 96 minute cut and the second disc has the original UK 87 minute cut, which appears to be from a print with minor scratches and debris but excellent contrast.

TASTE OF FEAR/SCREAM OF FEAR appears to be from an older master, possibly prepared for DVD (the booklet states "HD remaster prepared by Sony". It's exactly the same as on the Mill Creek BD, and I really like the way it looks. There are two versions of the same master with different credits; one US and the other UK.

The booklet with THE TWO FACES OF DR. JEKYLL also states "HD master prepared by Sony" so one would think an older master, the same as the one used for the Mill Creek BD. But this is way better; especially the color. The scenes in night cubs with can can dancers wearing mauve and yellow dresses really pop.

Anyway, I've watched THE REVENGE OF FRANKENSTEIN all the way through, which is even better, to my eyes, than I expected, and the others I've only sampled.

15. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Producer

What a great series of sets these are.

16. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    I received the set (mine is #1124) and immediately watched The Revenge of Frankenstein. Amazing transfer! It transported me to 1958 when I saw it for the first time. The next day I watched the Jekyll movie. That must have been edited for US consumption. Anyway, I agree with your comments, and I look forward to the other 2 films.

lark144 likes this.
  17. dana martin

dana martin Producer

Dana Martin
    Keep telling me more how end up picking the setups myself

18. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Good news is they have confirmed that set 5 is coming but they have not revealed which titles yet but most likely only Columbia titles again. Speculation is that it will be an adventure set. And there aren't many Colombia titles left. Probably: The Devil Ship Pirates, The Crimson Blade, The Brigand of Kandahar and Creatures the World Forgot. Two other possibilities would be The pirates of Blood River and Sword of Sherwood Forest which have both been released by Twilight Time. It was previously reported that Indicator did not have the rights to these two so probably not unless something changed.

19. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Producer

I’m glad they’re finishing it out but I may not be alone in stopping at 4. Good for Hammer adventure fans though.

20. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Producer

Alan
    Yup, the only adventure film I'd be interested in is Pirates Of Blood River & I bought that one in the TT sale. Looking forward to digging into this box (esp. Revenge), but as it's going to be a Christmas present it'll be after the holidays. Indicator do seem to have a good relationship with Sony, so looking forward to seeing what they release next year, maybe: Barabbas, Lord Jim & Mackenna's Gold. Well, one can hope :)