Indians and Fluorescent Lighting?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Don_Houle, Sep 19, 2002.

1. Don_Houle

Don_Houle Stunt Coordinator

Don
    I've been curious about this for a while. I live in central New Jersey which has a very large Indian population (Indians of asian descent, not Native Americans!). The apartment complex I used to live in was probably about 50% Indian residents.

Whenever I would walk through the complex at night or when I was invited into my neighbor's apartments, I usually noticed that they had installed fluorescent lighting fixtures on the ceilings or walls. These were used almost exclusively, leaving the incandescent fixtures off most of the time.

I find the harsh lighting to be bothersome. So, is there some reason for this?

I mentioned this to an a coworker of mine who's of Indian descent, and he agreed that it is strange, but he didn't really know why this was the case.

Anyone care to take a stab at this one?

PS: Before I get flamed, this is not a "racist" question! It's just something I've noticed and I think it may be related to the culture. I mean, how many of us have fluorescent lighting in any part of our homes besides the basement or kitchen?

thanks

2. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    My guess would be because fluorescent lighting uses less electricity, thus your electric bill is lower. All I use in my home are fluorescent bulbs.

3. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

4. Don_Houle

Don
    I considered this as a possibility as well. It just seems odd to me that the overwhelming majority of my Indian neighbors use this type of lighting.

Perhaps they are way ahead of the rest of us in the west as far as energy saving lighting?

Another thought was that this might be the popular lighting in India and it's just more comfortable and familiar. I don't know. Anyway, thanks for your responses!

If anyone of Indian descent would care to post a response, it would be much appreciated!

5. Don_Houle

Don
  6. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor

Its because they provide more light, temperature is closer to sunlight, and the light is diffused, which means no shadows. The fact that they use less electricity is pure coincidence.
    When working on a computer or watching TV, i can't bear to have yellow light shining anywhere. (Those 6500K lights, anyone?)
    Plus, in India, incandescent lights are much more likely to go dim when voltage fluctuates.
    The only place they use incandescents are often the restrooms. [​IMG]
    But then, what do i know? :p)
    PS: Incandescents are easier to power by battery, so i'd say those explanations are BS.

7. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

In India, just about everyplace has fluorescent lights. They are cheaper and last longer. A lot of times sudden loss and then resumption of power will cause a light bulb to "blow".