Indianapolis 500

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Henry Gale, May 29, 2005.

1. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Danica Patrick has me interested in today's race. I was born not far from the track, but I've never been there.

[​IMG]

2. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

SHE'S LEADING THE RACE!!!!!!!!

Only 15 laps to go, but she is running on fumes.... [​IMG]

All the more amazing considering she did a 360 after she lost control during one of the restarts which ended in a huge collision with another car.

3. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

Quite the exciting finish!
    She ended up in 4th, but will be a contender in the future.

Congrats to Dan Wheldon and the entire Andretti team.

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I forget which driver it was to complain that Danica has a weight advantage (weighs probably 60-80 pounds less than her male counterparts), but he might a point... [​IMG]

5. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

Off topic but shes's a hottie [​IMG]

If the other drives are concerned about her weight, then they better diet. A new breed of skinny-estrogen fueled drivers are coming........[​IMG]

6. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

The simple answer is to do what Formula One does: include the driver in the minimum weight of the car that way all the cars weigh the same apart from their particular fuel load.

7. Joey Skinner

Joey Skinner Second Unit

What an exciting race. I was really on the edge of my seat for the last 40 laps. Haven't watched much Indy-style or NASCAR racing in a long time and was impressed with the production of the broadcast. The announcers beat me down a little but I guess it's hard to come up with something profound to say for 200 laps. The best driver won but of course the big story is the Patrick lady. She can really drive and I thought she handled herself well in the after race interview with all the "female driver" questions. The announcers said she was on the gas too hard in the incident where she spun out but it looked like she was dodging the car in front of her that may have unexpectedly slowed. Either way in was a rookie mistake that could have happened to anyone. I'm surprised there aren't more comments this race. If this had been a NASCAR race with a woman leading near the end this thread would be on fire!

8. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

Don't they have a double amputee racing? What's his weight? [​IMG] Seems to me they don't like the thought of getting beat by a "girl." I saw the ending and found it far more interesting in caution mode than the Nascar garbage on Fox. She did very well and brushed off the puff questions posed to her afterwards. If it was in HD I would have watched more.

9. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    What's that car she's standing in front of in your picture, Henry? If I see things correctly....

She's standing in front of her Contour SVT just like I had. Same color even.

I told my friends it was a real driver's choice for a car.

10. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Too bad, I am not even a race fan but I am glad I went to it once. It's quite an event that watching on TV does not capture at all.

11. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob

While that would even things out a bit more, there would still be someone complaining that a lighter driver like Danica allows more ballast to be added in the most strategic places on the car, creating another "advantage".

Rob

12. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

That's certainly true, but not nearly as big an advantage as weighing only 100lbs. She had a 57 lb advantage on the eventual winner, that may not sound like much, but in racing that is a significant advantage. Not to take anything away from Danica Patrick, she is clearly a very capable driver and did very well despite making some mistakes, but a 50+ lb weight advantage is significant.

Look what happened to BAR in Formula One with their special fuel tank within a fuel tank... their potential weight advantage (which got them banned for two races) was something like 10lbs.

13. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

So if a driver is overweight, does that mean that all the cars have to be modded to meet his weight so its fair? I'm sorry, but a 100lb difference is about a tenth of a second dfference in a 1/4 mile, and at that level of racing, it seems like whoever has the best driving ability, and pit crew would win. I am not a race fan by any means, but just seems whiney to me, more like they are worried about a woman beating them.

14. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

Couldn't agree with you more. My wife and I went to a practice session with Helio Castroneves at Indy two years ago, and just watching him alone on the track going over 220 MPH was simply incredible! I would recommend good fitting earplugs though. I thought I would never hear anything louder than the Who concert I went to in the 80's, but the Indy 500 made that sound like a Saturday morning visit to the library. [​IMG]

15. Jeff_CusBlues

Jeff_CusBlues Supporting Actor

It was Robbie Gordon who made the comment. It doesn't seem like a big advantage to me, but I'm not a driver, just a spectator. I was at the race and it was indeed exciting. There is nothing like being there hearing and smelling it. This was my 12th Indy 500 in a row and 14th overall. Ever since the CART/IRL split, open wheel racing has taken a big dump in this country. I'm really a NASCAR fan, but the last few years, the IRL has had many exciting races. I go to the NASCAR and IRL races in Michigan also and lately, the IRL races have been more exciting. OH...and yes. Danica is quite the hottie!!!

16. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

The weight difference between Gordan and Patrick (probably around 100lbs) would be just a bit over 7% of the total weight of the car, which is a pretty significant difference, not just in how the car accelerates and stops, but it's handling as well. That's probably good for a potential 1-1.5mph difference in lap speeds (that's average around the track) assuming all else being equal between a "heavy" driver and a light driver.

Increase the weight of your car by 10% and you'll feel a difference pretty easily, even more so if you start pushing the car closer to it's limits.

Andrew

17. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Does that mean it gives a 200 second difference in a 500 mile race? Pretty significant, if you ask me. [​IMG]

18. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

Yes, if they ran non-stop without any yellows and there was no such thing as draft... in the real world both of these more than compensate for any minimal weight difference that might exist.

Besides, if weight was that big of an advantage why don't we see jockeys racing cars, after all, they too have superb reflexes. In NASCAR especially, there are, and have been quite a few 'bulky' winners.

Boys are just going to have to learn to play with girls. [​IMG]

19. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

"Baby, you can drive my car..."

[​IMG]

20. Trey Fletcher

Trey Fletcher Second Unit

[​IMG]

Um, the reflexes need to ride a horse at 30 mph is nowhere near the reflexes needed to drive a car at 220+ mph.