What's new

UHD Indiana Jones UHD Blu Ray in 2020? (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
That box art popped up almost a year ago and claimed release in 1st Q 2020, so it's not been proved wrong yet.

Seems odd that they'd have created box art in early 2019 for a product not coming out until 2020.

I'll believe these are on the way when Paramount announces it. A vague tweet that includes nearly year-old box art doesn't convince me!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
That box art popped up almost a year ago and claimed release in 1st Q 2020, so it's not been proved wrong yet.

Seems odd that they'd have created box art in early 2019 for a product not coming out until 2020.

I'll believe these are on the way when Paramount announces it. A vague tweet that includes nearly year-old box art doesn't convince me!

got it. I sent it on to bill Hunt as well. I’ll
Let you know if I hear back.

the way paramount home video has been going it will probably just be a standard def download release.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
got it. I sent it on to bill Hunt as well. I’ll
Let you know if I hear back.

the way paramount home video has been going it will probably just be a standard def download release.

Seriously doubt that. Paramount knows how important this franchise is - they're not likely to half-ass it..

WillG

Senior HTF Member
There’s a new Indiana Jones movie that is supposed to be coming out at some point. I would tend to doubt a 4K release would be out prior to around the release date of the new film.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
There’s a new Indiana Jones movie that is supposed to be coming out at some point. I would tend to doubt a 4K release would be out prior to around the release date of the new film.

That seems logical, but given that I don't think Indy 5 is even in formal pre-production, Paramount may not want to wait.

Indy 5 may never actually happen, so I doubt they care to hold off and hope it does come out!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
That seems logical, but given that I don't think Indy 5 is even in formal pre-production, Paramount may not want to wait.

Indy 5 may never actually happen, so I doubt they care to hold off and hope it does come out!

it may also be that the new film was supposed to be out this summer and the project for the older films in 4K had already started.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

for the record, I’m leaning toward this movie not happening, so I suppose we shall see. But they still may hold off on the release until the new movie is officially dead, if that is indeed the way it goes.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Agreed.

We also have no idea what the market for physical media, much less the niche market for UHD physical media, will look like around the film’s 2021 anticipated release date.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Last I heard, the fifth one was being rewritten again. In order to make a July 2021 release date, and given that it will likely require lots of special effects and post-production work, they would probably have to begin shooting it at some point in 2020.

If they don't have a script that all involved parties -- meaning Spielberg, Ford, Kathleen Kennedy, Alan Horn and Bob Iger -- think is good very soon, then shooting in 2020 becomes unlikely.

So I agree that waiting to put out this set in conjunction with the fifth one doesn't make much sense. Paramount will not have distribution rights on the fifth movie anyway; that should be all Disney now, because they own Lucasfilm. The Star Wars films that were made by Lucas (with the exception of the original, which Fox owned in full) were on a long-term distribution deal with Fox which was due to expire in 2020. That means Disney would have acquired those next year anyway even if they hadn't bought out Fox in the meantime.

I don't know what the contracts between Paramount and Lucasfilm for Indiana Jones said at the time they were written up, but it seems at the very least possible that the distribution rights could revert to Disney at some point in the future, depending on what the contract says.

If that were the case, it would be in Paramount's interest to release these films as soon as possible while they can still make a buck on them. And certainly they don't really have incentive to support Disney's theatrical release of any possible fifth movie.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Last I heard, the fifth one was being rewritten again. In order to make a July 2021 release date, and given that it will likely require lots of special effects and post-production work, they would probably have to begin shooting it at some point in 2020.

If they don't have a script that all involved parties -- meaning Spielberg, Ford, Kathleen Kennedy, Alan Horn and Bob Iger -- think is good very soon, then shooting in 2020 becomes unlikely.

So I agree that waiting to put out this set in conjunction with the fifth one doesn't make much sense. Paramount will not have distribution rights on the fifth movie anyway; that should be all Disney now, because they own Lucasfilm. The Star Wars films that were made by Lucas (with the exception of the original, which Fox owned in full) were on a long-term distribution deal with Fox which was due to expire in 2020. That means Disney would have acquired those next year anyway even if they hadn't bought out Fox in the meantime.

I don't know what the contracts between Paramount and Lucasfilm for Indiana Jones said at the time they were written up, but it seems at the very least possible that the distribution rights could revert to Disney at some point in the future, depending on what the contract says.

If that were the case, it would be in Paramount's interest to release these films as soon as possible while they can still make a buck on them. And certainly they don't really have incentive to support Disney's theatrical release of any possible fifth movie.

I looked this up a while ago as I was curious if the films would end up on Disney+.

here is what I found:

The Walt Disney Company has owned the Indiana Jonesintellectual property since its acquisition of Lucasfilm, the series' production company, in 2012, when Lucas sold it for $4 billion,[2] and the distribution and marketing rights to future Indiana Jones films since 2013, with Paramount retaining the distribution rights to the first four films and receiving "financial participation" from any additional films.[3][4][5]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_Jones_(franchise)

so I guess paramount would have to create a deal with Disney to distribute the films on Disney+.
I’m sure Disney could source the distribution to Disney but I read it as again it would be a deal created with Disney.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Seriously doubt that. Paramount knows how important this franchise is - they're not likely to half-ass it..

Paramount has been 'half-assing' their illustrious history for decades now. I mean, it's 2020 and we still don't have Oscar winning Best Pictures Ordinary People and The Greatest Show on Earth on regular Blu-ray. Ditto for Audrey Hepburn's Oscar-winning turn in Roman Holiday. The Carpetbaggers? No. Elephant Walk? What's that? TV - no Dynasty Reunion in their endlessly repackaged Dynasty box set. No extra features either, even though there is a ton of material out there to include.

Sorry, but Paramount has one of the spottiest records of any releasing company out there. Neither have they taken the initiative to do things on their own nor farm out their back catalog to third party distributors on a regular basis. Once in a while something sneaks out from them with quality control ranging from near perfect (Top Gun) to just plain awful (the Blu of Witness is an atrocity). And with regards to Indy's legacy - sorry, but the golden/teal lean on the Raider's Blu-ray is just WRONG.

Bad color timing or something. So, no. I'm not going to get my knickers in a ball over a year-old announcement about this set. At this point, its about as exciting as waiting for news that Fox/Disney is planning to release the original unaltered Star Wars franchise, or all the continuous 'rumors' about James Cameron working out the logistics of an Abyss/True Lies hi-def release. For either, I think they ought to call it the 'when hell freezes over' edition. Coming to a video shelf near you - NEVER!

Note to all of the majors still playing this endless mind game. Either do it or don't. Stop jerking your core audience around with promises, promises. Apologies in advance, but I really needed to get this out of my system!

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
?..I don't know what the contracts between Paramount and Lucasfilm for Indiana Jones said at the time they were written up, but it seems at the very least possible that the distribution rights could revert to Disney at some point in the future, depending on what the contract says.
While Lucasfilm has the copyright on the films themselves, Paramount holds the distribution rights in perpetuity - that was the deal they made in exchange for financing the movies.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I will believe it when I see the movies on a 4K disc on the shelf so I can buy it!

IMG_2719aa.jpg

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Well, I only hope that they do a new 4k scan and leave the proper color timing as it was meant to be. I'm not thrilled with the look of the current Blu-ray.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Well, I only hope that they do a new 4k scan and leave the proper color timing as it was meant to be. I'm not thrilled with the look of the current Blu-ray.

im guessing new transfers and color will be done. Especially if the new Star Wars 4k versions on Disney+ are any reference....

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

im guessing new transfers and color will be done. Especially if the new Star Wars 4k versions on Disney+ are any reference....

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
But the Star Wars special editions were finished in 2K in '97, and all subsequent revisions were HD. The Indy movies all have existing 4K masters.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
But the Star Wars special editions were finished in 2K in '97, and all subsequent revisions were HD. The Indy movies all have existing 4K masters.

ahh. I didn’t know that about Indy.

the Disney + Star Wars 4k versions were completed in 2013.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks