What's new

Indiana Jones on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Well, Raiders and Doom are going to be on AMC all month in March. So if they are trying to get one last round of airplay out of the movies, they are about to start.

- Steve

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
As for the Star Wars films:

All the information

coming from reliable sources says no original trilogy

on DVD until after EP3 hits DVD.

George Lucas has

officially confirmed that he's shot

additional scenes to be added

into the original film Trilogy

to "complete the story".

We've all heard this rumor. However, it also makes some sense for Lucas to get the '97 SE's out on DVD before the "Definitive Editions" with the additional scenes hit in 2006-2007.

If he chooses to do that, then 2003-2004 would be the logical window for that to occur. Lucas has indicated in a Los Angeles radio interview that aired last year that he has decided to respond to the fans' wishes to get these films on DVD prior to 2006. (Besides, if he waits until 2006 he may miss out on the entire DVD party!!) There were also many rumors floating around THE FORCE last year that indicated that there would be one Star Wars release a year, starting with Episode I, all the way up to the Definitive Edition Six-Episode-Plus set that would hit in December 2006.

Anyway, as we all know, everything is just rumor until LucasFilm says it's not. *Sigh*

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Paramount has not announced their big Christmas title for this year, and the fact that Spielburg recently declined commentary says to me that they are at the very least in production. A title of this magnitude wouldn't come out at any other time BUT Christmas
Ordinarily, this kind of logic makes perfect sense; however it may not to LucasFilm, who may already have a big Christmas release planned this year with Attack of the Clones.

If that's the case, LucasFilm would probably want Raiders out a few months earlier. Late August would fit this window perfectly. Besides, let's look at what Paramount has released to DVD in that window the last few years: Titanic, in 1999; Braveheart in 2000; and Forest Gump in 2001.

Anyway, if Raiders (or more?) is coming in late August of this year, there should be an official announcement on this no later than mid-March.

DanR

Supporting Actor
Well, I hate to tell you guys, but you guys are assuming a lot. Everyone assumes that this Spielberg confirmation of Lucas asking him to do a commentary is actually a recent request. This request by Lucas took place back in 1999. In fact, an "inside rumor" was that Lucas, Ford, and Spielberg were all actually scheduled to sit down together in late summer 1999 to do it. The session was later cancelled.

I'm of the opinion that there is a lot of "business" taking place behind the scenes with the entire Indiana Jones franchise right now. I've heard this from at least two good sources.

The only two valid points I see in this thread are that:

1.)Lucasfilm could very well consider that Episode II is their BIG DVD release of the year. Which means no Indy.

2.)Paramount has historically released a BIG title in August of every year. However, this does not mean it's going to be the case this year or that it is even going to be Raiders if they do another big title.

My only hope in this whole Indiana Jones saga lies with Ron Epstein. Didn't he say in his 2001 year in review that Paramount would "blow our minds" in 4th Quarter of 2002 (or something like that?)? He never posts anything on Indy Jones, so in this case, perhaps his silence on this issue is our best indicator. Then again, he could know nothing as well. Who knows?

Regards,

Dan

PS: If Raiders is August, I don't think it would be announced by mid-March; I'd say more like April or early May. I think that's when Paramount announced their other big August titles if memory serves me.

DanR

Supporting Actor
Oh no, I just found this on the web. If true, this could be a bad sign for any possible Indy Jones DVD release:

-----------------------------------------------------------

Raiders of the Lost Ark: SE: During a recent ET screening, Frank Marshall talked with Dreamworks Fansite and some juicy Indiana Jones stuff was mentioned - here's the key statement: "Without a doubt, one of the high points of the experience was talking to Marshall about the future of Indiana Jones. We simply that mentioned that Raiders had been the movie that started our lifelong obsession with film, and he seemed thrilled by the prospect of talking about it. We re thinking about doing this with Indy he said, bringing it back out and spiffing up the effects. Before seeing the new E.T. , we would have had mixed feelings about seeing Raiders touched in any way. Now the prospect is mouth-watering. Marshall also confirmed what everybody wants to hear, that they are starting to get serious about Indy IV. Harrison told me we need to do this before I m in a wheelchair, he joked.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Regards,

Dan

John Knowles

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Is AMC going to show Indy in widescreen? Too bad it's not TCM--I'm thinking about dubbing an SVHS tape to tide me over (or to hold onto if the original is altered).

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Regarding the Indy series

Why doesn't Paramount just wait for the currently discussed HD-DVD format. These would be better titles to lauch the the format since no one owns them on DVD.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Regarding the Indy series

Why doesn't Paramount just wait for the currently discussed HD-DVD format. These would be better titles to lauch the the format since no one owns them on DVD.
And wait 10-15 years to repromote Indy? No way

I wouldn't be too worried about any of it, seriously. Even if they are going to clean up Indy, there'll be enough time to do it in time for the DVD

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
"We've all heard this rumor. However, it also makes some sense for Lucas to get the '97 SE's out on DVD before the "Definitive Editions" with the additional scenes hit in 2006-2007. "
Joseph- What "some sense" does it make?
Why does it make sense for Lucas to release his
films in a form he is not satisfied with?
Why does it make sense when he appears to have
already shot addtional scenes to be added to them?
Why release the 97' versions on DVD at all?
It does not make sense.
Also, it is not a rumor
[that he has or will shoot addtional scenes for
EP4-6] is Lucas has "officially confirmed" it.
If Lucas can be predicted based on past actions,
then it is clear we will be seeing ep2 and ep3 on
DVD before we see ep4-6.
As you stated,
Lucas has bowed to fan pressure to release some Star
Wars films on DVD...which is why we finally got
EP1 when we did. He has made no indication that
he is going to release EP4-6 earlier than he orginally
stated. And Lucas has confirmed at the presentation
"at the ranch" to a host of web people, including
Bill Hunt, that the next Star Wars film we'll see
on DVD will be EP2 in the fall of 2002.
Do you really think he would release Episode 4
in the fall of 2003, just to have something in
the home video marketplace? When has that ever
been a concern of his?
Oh, that was "my bad" with BTTF. So, that leads
to all the more that Paramount should needs to have
a big 4th quarter release on DVD.
Mark

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Do you really think he would release Episode 4

in the fall of 2003, just to have something in

the home video marketplace? When has that ever

been a concern of his?
Well ... Lucas has released the '97 version of the Original Trilogy to VHS twice (in both fullscreen and widescreen formats); the latest release being November of 2000, which did seem to be just "having something for the home video market". I think it's Lucas' plan to keep Star Wars in the forefront of the fans' minds in some form or fashion every year from May 1999 through December 2006. Last year it was Episode I to DVD. Again, assuming that this is his plan, the window exists in 2003 and 2004 for the Original Trilogy to be released to DVD. The rumor regarding ANH to DVD in November of 2003 is coming from multiple sources; some of which are not internet related. Please remember that the 2006 release WILL NOT be the Original Trilogy; rather, it will be the entire Star Wars saga presented as one (very long) movie.

Brian-W

Screenwriter
Well, the ABC broadcast demonstrates that a Hidef master DOES exist, and it looks (and sounds) DAMN good
Hey Robert, I recorded it on D-VHS and edited out the commercials. We should do a movie night in the near future. It was a great transfer (Temple/Doom was a bit oversaturated, but still looked good)

Now, if only one of the HD channels would show Showgirls

:b

-Brian

Vic_T

Stunt Coordinator
__________________________________________________ _________

"We're thinking about doing this with Indy he said, bringing it back out and spiffing up the effects."

__________________________________________________ _________

They'd better not. I want Indy untouched!! While your at it, why don't you colorize Citizen Kane.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I'd definately like to see some Indy DVD's.

I'd just by Raiders and Last Crusade...I didn't care for Temple of Doom.

They'd better not. I want Indy untouched!! While your at it, why don't you colorize Citizen Kane.
Recompositing the effects are a far cry from screwing up the picture. I guess we should avoid the DVD restorations of Citizen Kane and Snow White while we're at it because they take away the grain!

Come on, it's one thing to just clean up a movie and another to totally redo it like the SW trilogy.

DanR

Supporting Actor
You know, I forgot to mention, but what are the TV rules regarding the word "shit"? I was watching Temple the other night, and I think it was after 10PM EST. One of my favorite Indy lines is when he's on the bridge, and he mumbles to himself, "Ahhhhhshit." That's CLASSIC, I was disappointed they cut that out. Since I can't find the Laserdiscs anymore (I had the "1999 versions" on pre-order, but they were later cancelled), we have no DVDs, I cannot watch Indy uncut. It really pisses me off Paramount and Lucasfilm are doing this to us (though I will admit I could always watch P&S VHS, but I haven't watched VHS since 1995 I think).

Regards,

Dan

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
You know, I forgot to mention, but what are the TV rules regarding the word "shit"? I was watching Temple the other night, and I think it was after 10PM EST. One of my favorite Indy lines is when he's on the bridge, and he mumbles to himself, "Ahhhhhshit."
Actually, that line was in Raiders, not Temple. It was changed from "oh shit" to "Oh my God".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks