What's new

Indiana Jones DVD Boxset - October 2003 (1 Viewer)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I was skeptical from the first that I heard of it & my skepticism has been validated. Unfortunately many of the people on this forum & others jumped to the conclusion that the announcement was the real McCoy.
Never trust info except from the horse's mouth
That should be our motto from now on in regards to announcements about DVd releases. Thanks for the accurate report!

Lee L

Supporting Actor
Not to be too pedantic about it, but when they say "this announcement was not made with the consent of Paramount" or that it "came out of nowhere," is that the same as denying that there is anything to announce? ;)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Not to be too pedantic about it, but when they say "this announcement was not made with the consent of Paramount" or that it "came out of nowhere," is that the same as denying that there is anything to announce?
Exactly. Someone blabbed and they're covering up. Just because they're not ready to announce it (13 months away, anyway), doesn't mean it isn't coming.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Guess ah be convertin' mah widescreen VHS tapes to DVD after all. :frowning: I knew that it was too good to be true.
I just don't understand this rationale. The Indy trilogy will sell countless millions. What the hell is Paramount doing??

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
I (like many others) would love to see anamorphic widescreen and DD 5.1 EX audio for each movie, plus UNCUT Temple of Doom for us in the UK. (Apparently the BBFC were all ready to re-certify Temple but 'cos SS didn't give his say-so it remains cut.)

But not yet, eh? Even the remastered LDs were pulled a few years ago, something about remixing the movies into 5.1EX before release. Bullshit. Looks like I'll have to stick with my LDs that look bad but sound terrific...

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Just because they're not ready to announce it (13 months away, anyway), doesn't mean it isn't coming.
In all honesty I thought the same thing when I read Paramount's nuanced reaction to this "announcement". They didn't deny anything, they just seem upset with the timing.

Still, I'll be holding on to my laserdiscs just in case!

CraigL

Screenwriter
Wow...dunno about the rest of you...but it sounds damn near correct to me. Ron's every statement makes me think that someone SOMEWHERE is pissed because this information has been leaked. It doesn't say that this information is WRONG at any point in his posting.
I'm still believing of it...if only because the damn things have to come out SOMETIME...or maybe i'm just not as pessimistic as i'd like to think.

James L White

Supporting Actor
I agree that since Paramount is pissed about the "announcement" than it means October '03 will be the end of the wait, why would they get mad if it was totaly false? :D

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
why would they get mad if it was totaly false?
Perhaps because they thought Lucasarts was moving ahead and making announcements (aka "commitments", as far as the biz is concerned) without consulting them?
I'll believe this set is real when they pry the discs into my cold dead hands. :laugh:

Brenton

Screenwriter
I'll believe this set is real when they pry the discs into my cold dead hands.
:crazy: I'm confused. You're saying that... you won't accept the set alive? Or that the set won't come out during your lifetime? Or are you just trying to confuse me?... THIS IS MADNESS!

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Exactly. Someone blabbed and they're covering up
There is only one HUGE problem with this theory.

The original story said, explicitly, that an OFFICIAL announcement had been made.

Now we know 100 million billion percent that this is NOT TRUE.

That makes the statement a LIE.

Now if you want to look into Paramount's anger over someone lying about their offical software release status as a sign that they actually are coming, then go right ahead.

Just remember you are then trusting a statement that can literally be called a lie. Your source was at least lying about it being an offical statement.

That was my point earlier. If this had been described as an "inside source" or something, then it might have been real and just leaked when it shouldn't have been.

But clearly at least part of the statement has been made up - either the person was not an official or had no authority to act as an official (and the person reporting was too stupid to know this) or the person reporting made it ALL UP (or at the very least lied about it being "official").

Maybe they are coming (eventually they will be), maybe the date was right, maybe some info was leaked. But there was no official statement and that's what was reported.

Just like me saying "NASA just made an official statement saying that the Earth is spiraling toward the Sun and we will all be killed in 5 years". If NASA got pissed about me reporting that statement as a "NASA Official Statement" don't you think they might be just a tad pissed off? Would that then make it the truth?

Even if the Earth did spiral into the Sun at some point later, it wouldn't necessarily mean that anyone really knew this was going to happen when I said it.

Especially when it's the case of DVD release that has long been rumored to be in the works with hints like the HDTV broadcasts we already had. Hell, here's my new info...George Lucas was at my cookout last weekend and PROMISED me that they were going to get Indy out in 2003.

Now if it really does happen you will all know just how tight GL and I are. And if he denies it and gets mad about me saying it, it just means I wasn't supposed to tell you yet. Or maybe I just tried to validate my own rumor wishes by surrounding a reasonable rumor guess with a false air of authority.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I guess the only real reason this rumor has been given any credence here is due to the fact that the "Ain't-it-cool-News" guys reported about six weeks ago that they had heard late 2003 was the current goal for the release of the Indy Trilogy.

So, we've now got two sources stating that the entire Trilogy will be released to DVD in the fourth quarter of next year.

THE BOTTOM LINE here is that we're still over a year away from the rumored release date, so it's hard to get really excited by this news. If it is true, we'll probably know by May of 2003. Until then we may as well all "hang loose" and hope for the best.

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
Yes, I think that Ron's wording is interesting in that it's not a denial, just that it's a rumor! I can get the vibe that '03 will be the release year for these films! With by then certainly 50million homes will have DVD, it would be foolish to continue at wait. Lucas seems a little more attached personally to STAR WARS than he does the INDY films.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I suspect that they will most probably come out in Oct 2003 and Paramount are covering up the leak, or maybe they leaked the info themselves, why wouldn't they come out than? Or any other time in 2003? Just wait and see, Oct 2003 we will finally have the Indy trilogy in our cold hairy dead hands.. I mean.. oh you know what I mean. Ofcourse if I'm dead wrong no one will remember this post or even this thread bwahahaha!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks