What's new

Indiana Jones And The Raiders Of The Lost Ark (1 Viewer)

DanR

Supporting Actor
All we know for sure is that Lucasfilm acknowledges that they are aware of the demand for these titles. Whether they (or Paramount) are doing anything about it, nobody knows for sure. I think once Episode II is done for DVD, they will turn their attention to these, but that's just my opinion. I also am of the opinion that we should expect these one at a time, leading up to Indy 4.

But yes, it is a travesty these aren't available on DVD after 5 years. Blame BOTH Paramount and Lucasfilm.

Regards,
Dan

Greg Z

Stunt Coordinator
I would blame Lucas only, if Paramount had there way I think they would be out already, or coming out really soon.

Gruson

Second Unit
It will always be just "Raiders of the Lost Arc" to me.
Also, some us were lucky to see this in HD, 1080i, when it and Temple of Doom were aired a couple of months ago. It looked amazing. I really need to get a HiPix :)

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
I also am of the opinion that we should expect these one at a time, leading up to Indy 4.
They would be the most logical move for Paramount/Lucasfilm.
Release the Indy trilogy special edition boxset on DVD just when Indy 4 is released theatrically.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Personally, I follow the Sight & Sound convention of only ever taking the name that appears on the screen as the correct title of the film. Thus this is still called just 'Raiders Of The Lost Ark', in the same way that there is no actual film called 'M:I-2' as it was called 'Mission: Impossible II' in the opening credits.

LeeL

Stunt Coordinator
Release the Indy trilogy special edition boxset on DVD just when Indy 4 is released theatrically
Assuming there is an Indy 4, won't Harrison Ford be a little old to whip things and buckle swash like he did in the first three movies? [SARCASM]Or will they get Ben Affleck to take over this role, too?[/SARCASM]

Just release them already, Paramount. Go for the quick buck, then release 'em all in a box down the road when the new feature is due. Please.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
All 3 of my LD's (CLV and CAV full screen and CLV widescreen), my CED, my 2 copies of the script (one of them is illustrated), my 3 copies of the soundtrack (original LP, expanded CD and even more expanded 2 LP set), my complete set of trading cards, 5 copies of the novelization (each with a different cover), my "Making of" book and "Making of" LD and my 5 posters all refer to this movie as Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Neil

TheoGB

Screenwriter
BTW, I broke down and purchased this VHS Widescreen set in the Spring of 2000 (the first and only VHS purchases I had made since I acquired my DVD player in the Fall of '98); and as of right now, just a little over two years later, only Temple of Doom is still playable. I think it's time for these titles to be out on DVD ...
Jeez - how many times have you watched these? My widescreen set from 1996 is doing just fine!!

Marty Christion

Stunt Coordinator
All 3 of my LD's (CLV and CAV full screen and CLV widescreen), my CED, my 2 copies of the script (one of them is illustrated), my 3 copies of the soundtrack (original LP, expanded CD and even more expanded 2 LP set), my complete set of trading cards, 5 copies of the novelization (each with a different cover), my "Making of" book and "Making of" LD and my 5 posters all refer to this movie as Raiders of the Lost Ark.
What Neil, you don't have the comic book? I must have read that 1000x in the days before it was available on VHS.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Damn, your right. They'll probably remove all references to Nazis and Indy will be protecting the relics from Saddam or Osama. Nothing like a CGI Saddam signing "Dad's Diary" at the book-burning in Berlin....
Jeremy, hadn't you heard? White Supremacist Nazis are the only politically correct villains we can now have in movies. The last thing you'll see nowadays is a movie with Sadaam (or any Muslim sounding name) as the villain.
See the Hollywood interpretation of "The Sum of All Fears" for further clarification.
-Lyle J.P.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Jeez - how many times have you watched these? My widescreen set from 1996 is doing just fine!!
When my prior VHS deck died, it took the Raiders tape with it.

After I purchased a new VHS deck, I discovered that the Last Crusade tape had been stretched so bad by the prior deck that it was no longer playable. (It would "break up" every few minutes or so.)

These kinds of incidents are just part and parcel of the many "joys" of the VHS format.

I really envy those of you who own these titles on LD ...

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
What? You can't have Nazi's in the film! They might be offensive to some Germans. In addition by mentioning Nazi's you might induce post-war stress to some Jews. You can't use anyone of Arab or Middle Eastern decent for similar reasons.

All Nazi's will be digitally superimposed by androgenous and faceless robots. At least until such time as the robot population gains a vote. Then the robots will be digitally superimposed by balls of light.

Brenton

Screenwriter
The point isn't what the film was originally called, it's whether or not the title Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark is official.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Which means that when the DVD is released it will probably have the title altered in the movie.
I agree with David on this one. I doubt it'll happen.

Granted, all involved have made some dumb calls about various things over the years, but this is a bit different.

I think if they weigh the smallness of the actual change on the film against how huge the fan complaints would be, it just wouldn't be worth doing.

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
I just don't want a PC watered down 4'th Indy movie. I'd rather not have a 4'th movie if it's gonna be watered down due to PC children friendly Lucas and Spielberg, although they could do it. I just watch some of the originals and they have some violent moments, like the Tank fight in Last Crusade. I just want it done right if they do another movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks