Indiana Jones And The Emperor's Tomb

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe michaels, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Joe michaels

Joe michaels Second Unit

Does anyone else have Indy? No one seems to be discussing it. Here's my little review.
    [​IMG]

Platform: XBOX
    Release Date: AVAILABLE NOW
    Genre: 3rd person action/adventure
    Number of Players: 1
    Difficulty: 3 available difficulty levels. I played the game on medium.

Premise:
    You play as Indiana Jones traveling through 1935 China to prevent a powerful artifact from falling into enemy hands. You face, Nazis, Chinese Martial artist assasins,Squids, and other people and creatures. Weaponry includes German And American firearms, Grenades, Demo charges, harpoon guns and a few other weapons.

Graphics:8.5
    The Graphics of Indiana Jones are pretty good. Not fantastic but good. Good enough to round out this game. Much Clipping in this game however.
    Indy looks great. We know the XBOX can do better though.

Sound: 8
    I would have given this game a 9 but there are many problems with the sound in this game. At points it gets very choppy and even drops out.
    Voice acting is decent and the Indy voice impersonation is very believable. The revolver sounds just like the one in Indiana Jones.
    The Indy Soundtrack is there and when it isn't choppy it sounds great.

Control: 8
    You know, I can't understand why they can't make a decently controlled character in these tomb raider style games. It seems to be a chore just to move the character around at times because they can be very twitchy. Sometimes it takes a few seconds just to line up a jump. For the most part though, Indy is pretty responsive. Swimming can be a bit of a pain.

Gameplay: 9
    Make no bones about it, Indiana Jones is probably one of the most technically glitchy games I have played in a while. To put it in perspective however it would be more fair to compare this title to the fun of OBIWAN which was playable despite numerous twitchy glitches than compare it to Prisoner of War. POW was unplayable and frustrating due to technical and camera issues.
    Some of the notable technical issues include numerous amounts of clipping. For the uninitiated, clipping occurs when objects are allowed to pass through other objects such as a character popping through a door from the other side. The clipping is forgivable. Having to turn the game off because Indy got stuck in mid-air is not.
    Then there are various odd things. For one, health is very easy to find when you need it but there are two levels where health is very,very scarce. I don't know if that was intentional but it certainly was frustrating.
    All that said, I thought Indiana Jones was a blast. Very rarely do I find a game that I keep wanting to return to at my next moment of available free time. The last game that happened with was Eternal Darkness for the Gamecube.The combination of weapons, Hand to hand combat and puzzle solving makes for a good fun game. Th egame moves along at a decent pace while still offering a challenge.

A few highly respected sites such as Gamespot and IGN have given IJ:ET a score in the 6 range and I think this is very unfair. On the other hand I am a big Indy fan and that helps. 2 EGM reviewers gave this game an 8.5.
    Also for those wondering how this compares to The Infernal Machine, There are similarities in the gameplay but I found Internal Machine to be highly frustrating.
    I am surprised though, that this game wasn't give a tad bit more time to be polished. I may have rated this game a point higher if not for the technical issues.
    My final score 8.5 out of 10

2. Matt Wooten

Matt Wooten Second Unit

thanks for the review. i may actually check this one out for myself now. [​IMG]

3. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

4. Joe michaels

Joe michaels Second Unit

5. Scott "E"

Scott "E" Second Unit

6. ChrisV

ChrisV Second Unit

Nice review. I found Indy far too buggy for my tastes, however. I'd lean more towards the six-range scores if I had to rate it.

7. Joe michaels

Joe michaels Second Unit

OK, I removed the 'no 480p'.
    Lately I have been playing my XBOX on a regular TV so I didn't have the ability to check 480p support.
    As far as rating the game in the 6 range, I would have to say that the bugs did not ruin the experience for me as I have seen in some games. I guess it depends on your toleration level. I was able to overlook those flaws to a point because I kept returning to the game to play. I found a buggy game like POW it ruined the experience to the point of frustration.
    I will say that it is a shame that they did not polish this game a bot more. Since it is from LUCASARTS, do they have to pay any kind of licensing fees? Usually that is what causes shortcuts in a licensed game.

8. James T

James T Screenwriter

I played it, loved it, passed it, now I'm thinking of selling it...as soon as I figure out what that bonus is for collecting all those relics. I'm missing a whole bunch, but if it's worth it, I may play through the game to unlock the bonus feature

9. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

I really enjoyed this game too. Scott, your new sig pict is friggin classic [​IMG] love it [​IMG]

Dean

10. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

I've been playing off and on now that I have finished Splinter Cell. What is the best strategy for getting away from or killing the Croc's in the first level?

11. Scott "E"

Scott "E" Second Unit

12. James T

James T Screenwriter

13. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

I got the skull thing OK but kept getting attacked by the other croc because I swam too far at one time. I eventually figured out you can swim with your machette out and a few good whacks will kill the crocs dead.