Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan B, Feb 1, 2003.

1. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

I've been playing the Xbox demo of this game, which is in the March issue of the Official Xbox Magazine. Although the demo is fairly brief, my experience with the demo has convinced me to purchase the game when it is released...hopefully later this month, February 18th.

The game is developed by The Collective, who previously developed Buffy: The Vampire Slayer on the Xbox, which was well-liked by most for it's deep fighting engine and overall polish.

The graphics engine is all-new for Emperor's Tomb, and features expansive and nicely detailed environments, although the textures in the demo are relatively bland and low-resolution compared to the best Xbox games. Indy himself looks convincing and is animated nicely. Slightly disappointing due to the textures.

I had no complaints with the sound in the game, especially the excellent score which contains the themes you loved from the movies & it has a "big" & fully orchestrated sound. The voice acting is what I would expect & what little dialog the demo featured was acceptable...I'm confident the story will be entertaining in the full version, based on OXM's review. (more on that later)

Indy has all of the moves you would expect including jumping, climbing, hugging walls, swimming, ledge-grabbing, and my favorite...using the whip to swing. You can fling your whip at certain objects & it will wrap around, enabling you to swing to otherwise impossible to reach areas. It's just as fun as it sounds, & is easy to perform. Switching between items is done easily enough through the D-pad, but when you come upon a situation where you need to use an item, there is a quick-select icon that appears. You can then hit the Y button to instantly equip that item. For example, when you reach an area where you can whip-swing, an icon will appear with a picture of the whip & you just tap the Y button to whip out the whip. Overall, the control in the game is responsive and just feels very satisfying.

The fighting system in the demo doesn't seem as deep as it is in Buffy, but as it is a demo level I'm not sure how it differs, if at all. The familiar shovels, bottles, and other objects in the environment can be used to your advantage as they could in Buffy's adventures. There were a couple of firearms as well, plus you can use your whip as a weapon...it has a good range, but I didn't seem to do much damage with it.

OXM has the first review of the game, and gave it a 9.0. They seemed to really enjoy the story presented in the game, and mostly agreed with my impressions from the demo. Also of interest in their review is the mention of mini-games, such as a machine gun chase in the back of a rickshaw, plus they also comment that there are a huge amount of levels with an often epic scale.

Demo verdict: [​IMG]

{EDIT} Thanks to Parker for fixing the subject line typo.

2. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Despite the misspelling, I'm really looking forward to this demo. [​IMG] It's already on my "must buy" list, but the demo will tide me over for a bit.

-Dave

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Well, Indy's fighting system WOULDN'T be as deep as Buffy's. Indy is very meat and potatoes fighing while Buffy is stylized Slayerness

4. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Jeff, yeah I agree that it should be like that, too. And to add to my impressions of the game, I should note that compared to Buffy, the game has much more of an emphasis on exploration and platforming also. Actually, it plays quite a bit like Tomb Raider really...but I mean that in a good way.

It's not really Buffy in the Indy Jones universe...it's an Indy game, and that makes me happy because I didn't really want "just another beat 'em up game".

5. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    I don't know. I'm kinda in the middle ground on this game. I really liked the music in the demo and, I like the fact that they made Indy responsive to the controls. I have this weird fetish where I can only appreciate charactars that can not only run in a game but, walk. Sometimes ya gotta walk.

But, there was something kind of "twitchy" about the way he moved, that bothered me. The "whip swing" could've been made a touch more realistic, imho. You swing waaaaaaay too fast.

Just nitpicking really. But, the worst part for me was that I really felt like I was playing Lara Croft, with a penis. Not enough to pull away from the obvious Tomb Raider comparisions.

6. James T

James T Screenwriter

7. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

Yeah, INFERNAL MACHINE described the way I felt about my computer after trying to play the game. Disappointing. I miss the LucasArts adventure games. Sigh.

8. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris

9. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

10. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

11. Joe michaels

Joe michaels Second Unit

12. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

13. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

I haven't played the game yet but I believe IGN said that the Indy movements were actually pretty good, except for the animations they left in from Buffy.

14. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens

15. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Is the IGN review an Insider review? If not, could someone post the text? I can't get past a page that says "Command & Conquer Welcomes You To IGN".

-Dave

16. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

17. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Thanks Dan!

-Dave

18. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Dave, it is an Insider-only review...

To sum up, he thought the puzzles were crap (really simplistic & repetitive) & the AI was poor (sometimes they don't see you when you're right next to them), plus the graphics have major clipping problems & the textures are poor. Also, he didn't think the game had any replay value & can be completed in about 12 hours. He said the 6.1 score isn't quite indicative of how much he enjoyed the game, but due to it's many flaws he would recommend it more as a rental than something you may want to buy...

...or rent it first & decide for yourself, of course. [​IMG]

19. paul h

paul h Supporting Actor

From the IGN review...

Presentation
    It's got the music and a great Harrison Ford voice double. The storyline is good, but could have benefited from more cut-scenes. 7.0

Graphics
    One of the best-looking N64 games around. Unfortunately, it's on Xbox. Major clipping issues and visible seems. Good character models and animations, though. 6.0

Sound
    A can't miss score with some rock-solid voice-over work, including a near-perfect Harrison Ford voice double. If only those sound effects could rock Indy's world. 7.0

Gameplay
    A weaker version of the Buffy engine. A mixture of AI smarts and serious flaws. Ridiculously easy puzzles saved only by great incorporation of Indy's moves. 5.0

Lasting Appeal
    Despite some major muck-ups in the AI and some weak gameplay areas, it's addictive enough to see through to the end. No replay value, however. 6.0

OVERALL SCORE (not an average) 6.1

20. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I just got the Xbox version.

Meh. Not bad.

It's destined for eBay in a few weeks. [​IMG]

(Those new Star Wars games can't show up quick enough!)