What's new

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023) (1 Viewer)

Mikey1969

Second Unit
Real Name
M. Fox
I thought the three of them (Ford/Spielberg/Lucas) had decided there wouldn't be an Indiana Jones film without all three of them involved. Times change, I suppose, and Lucas likely burned bridges with Disney over his comments on SW: TFA. I'm glad personally as Lucas his ratio of good ideas to poor ones has been pretty bad since about 1982.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
The aliens in and of themselves were not the biggest problem, IMO. You could chalk up any number of other issues:

- Nuke/Fridge
- Prairie dogs mugging to the camera
- Silly jungle chase scene
- Silly tarzan vine swinging
- Over-reliance on cheesy CGI effects that strain suspension of disbelief to absurd levels.

I'm sure there are more things to include, but honestly the film left such a sour taste in my mouth, I haven't bothered to watch it again in a very long time.

There's definitely a part of me that would be happy if they'd just let it go. KotCS has already spoiled what was a perfect ending to the IJ story, IMO.

Not to mention casting Shia LaBeouf and giving Karen Allen nothing to do but smile and overact.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I for one am rather fond of Crystal Skull - I think it's a much better movie than Temple Of Doom - and am looking forward to the next one. Just wish I didn't have to wait three years for it!

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
I agree with the article that it's strange that people criticize the aliens in Indy 4 and yet forget all the fantasy elements of the first three movies. Indiana Jones is fantasy. :blink:

I have not seen Indy 4 that many times to decide how good or bad it is but it is certainly not because of the aliens.

It wasn't the aliens, it was the execution. The ending just felt flat to me. Some people wanted religion based artifacts in keeping with the original 3 movies. I didn't mind the Aliens, it played more to the 50s era sci-Fi.

Oh, and Temple Of Doom is awesome!!

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I agree with the article that it's strange that people criticize the aliens in Indy 4 and yet forget all the fantasy elements of the first three movies. Indiana Jones is fantasy. :blink:

I have not seen Indy 4 that many times to decide how good or bad it is but it is certainly not because of the aliens.

The difference was that the fantasy elements in the first three were all based on some historical myth or reality and were actually well integrated in the construction of the stories.

My issue with CS wasn't so much the aliens. It was all the less than interesting characters and situations that revolved around the the whole alien thing. The story and characters were so uninvolving that a person started focusing on how preposterous it was at the core.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I found Red Tails to be an enjoyable and deliberate throwback to WWII era Hollywood movies. Plus, I give Lucas credit for sticking with the project for two decades because no one else was interested in telling their story.

Nobody else was interested in telling their story? What about "The Tuskegee Airmen"?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Nobody else was interested in telling their story? What about "The Tuskegee Airmen"?
I was talking about theatrical releases and The Tuskegee Airmen was a TV movie for HBO but fair enough. There's also been plenty of documentaries and books over the years so my saying "no one" isn't particularly accurate but my point was that even George Lucas had trouble getting the movie made and he stuck with it because he cared about telling their story.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I was talking about theatrical releases and The Tuskegee Airmen was a TV movie for HBO but fair enough. There's also been plenty of documentaries and books over the years so my saying "no one" isn't particularly accurate but my point was that even George Lucas had trouble getting the movie made and he stuck with it because he cared about telling their story.

Well, that was my mistake as well. I always forget that that film was a TV film, not a theatrical one. So, looking at from the point of theatrical film releases, I see your point.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Big gamble... While I admire Ford for flying vintage airplanes (wish I had that luxury), there should be a clause in his contract to stay away from them while filming!

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Indy 5 is now scheduled for July 10, 2019, according to starwars.com.

http://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-episode-ix-and-next-indiana-jones-get-release-dates

The article you linked states "the fifth chapter of the Indiana Jones series is now confirmed for a July 10, 2020 release." Thus, the title of this thread needs to be edited to reflect 2020 and not 2019.

Sidenote: This means the film will be released just three days shy of Harrison Ford's 78th birthday (July 13, 1942).

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Yup, it's been moved to 2020. Fixing above.

Makes sense, since Disney has the sequel to Spider-Man Homecoming penciled in for 7/5/19. They wouldn't release a big film 5 days later.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
My favourite trilogy is Back to the Future for many reasons, one of which is that Zemeckis and Gale have said they will not allow their magnificent creation to be meddled with during their lifetimes. If only Star Wars and Indiana Jones had been given the same respect by their creators.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
We completely forgot. There is Shia LaBeouf! Is he going to be the main character?!!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
We completely forgot. There is Shia LaBeouf! Is he going to be the main character?!!
Given the mixed-to-poor reception to his character, I don't think we'll be seeing much if anything of him in Indy 5.

I wouldn't be surprised if we meet Indy's illegitimate daughter, though, the product of another of his conquests while on an adventure.

Actually, I could see us getting a new Indiana Jones offspring in each successive movie, like Ray Charles on a retrospective tour to all of his favorite cities, until they find a young Jones that clicks with audiences in a way that you can build a franchise around.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
They should just cast Sean Patrick Flanery as Indy. He played young Indy 25 years ago; he's now old enough (51 yrs) to play the adult version.

Personally, I'd shed no tears if they retired Harrison Ford and recast, regardless of what Spielberg wants. Why is he calling the shots anyway? Doesn't Disney control the franchise now?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation615
Recent bookmarks