What's new

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023) (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Yep, Lucas only directed A New Hope. Irvin Kershner directed Empire and Richard Marquand directed Jedi.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Yep, Lucas only directed A New Hope. Irvin Kershner directed Empire and Richard Marquand directed Jedi.

Technically yes, but they're clearly all Lucas' movies. So I think you can be forgiven for calling Lucas the director.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Disney May Be Planning an Interconnected ‘Indiana Jones’ Movie Universe

http://collider.com/indiana-jones-movie-universe/
Collider is making some pretty large conclusions based on very limited information. The quote from ILM President Lynwen Brennan mentions that Kiri Hart and her team are responsible for maintaining the Star Wars canon -- building off the original six movies, the Clone Wars series, and the Rebels series -- going forward so that nothing contradicts. And that they have to be respectful about maintaining the continuity of Indiana Jones going forward too.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
No, but it could be one movie, some video games, some tie-in novels, etc. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they have big screen plans for the franchise beyond Indy 5, but I don't know that I'd leap from there to a Marvel-style cinematic universe. Though I would be interested in seeing movies built around other colorful characters in this version of history where the Judeo-Christian God exists alongside South Asian mysticism and aliens from outer space.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Disney May Be Planning an Interconnected ‘Indiana Jones’ Movie Universe

http://collider.com/indiana-jones-movie-universe/

Cool: George Lucas-I have an idea for a character better than James Bond, his name is Indiana Jones.
Steven Spielberg-Sounds good lets make a movie.
Genuine
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not Cool: Disney-Lets do an entire universe of
Indiana Jones movies, spin-offs, prequels, and threequels. Lets make a timeline one film every year for the next 12 or so.
Greed

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I'm sure some people will cheer that Lucas isn't involved. I kinda wish he was, but I do think the end result could be a sharper movie.

I'm a little surprised at the slow pace the film seems to be taking to meet Disney's 2019 date.

Agreed on all of the above!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I still wonder if Lucas had some input- in the sense of "How about..." or "What if they had a car chase where they..." or "It'd be cool if..." rather than making a major contribution to the story.

I'm a little surprised at the slow pace the film seems to be taking to meet Disney's 2019 date.
Spielberg usually works fast. Plus, he's doing Ready Player One right now so once he's done that, things will probably really start to move on Indy.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
I'm a bit disappointed that Lucas won't be involved but I'm not surprised. It's too bad the Prequels and CS have tarnished his legacy, he's not the only one responsible for the problems with CS.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
*cough* Red Tails *cough*

Sure he was uncredited for the story in that one, but his fingers were all over it and it was terrible. Lucas lost his storytelling skills a long time ago.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
Never seen Red Tails. I like to think his story telling skills a really rusty and he doesn't always have a strong Producer behind him anymore.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Exactly. Gary Kurtz was responsible for a lot more than he is ever given credit for by Lucas. Return of the Jedi is evidence of that.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I agree with the article that it's strange that people criticize the aliens in Indy 4 and yet forget all the fantasy elements of the first three movies. Indiana Jones is fantasy. :blink:

I have not seen Indy 4 that many times to decide how good or bad it is but it is certainly not because of the aliens.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
The aliens in and of themselves were not the biggest problem, IMO. You could chalk up any number of other issues:

- Nuke/Fridge
- Prairie dogs mugging to the camera
- Silly jungle chase scene
- Silly tarzan vine swinging
- Over-reliance on cheesy CGI effects that strain suspension of disbelief to absurd levels.

I'm sure there are more things to include, but honestly the film left such a sour taste in my mouth, I haven't bothered to watch it again in a very long time.

There's definitely a part of me that would be happy if they'd just let it go. KotCS has already spoiled what was a perfect ending to the IJ story, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks