Indiana Jones 5 (2022)

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Man, Shia LaBeouf is a mess. Like so many others do these days, he has blamed external factors for his actions for his previous arrest. Hard to feel bad for someone who won't fully take personal responsibility.

As for Indiana Jones 5 -- It's hard to muster any excitement. I have no doubt that Disney is going to continue the Indiana Jones legacy, but with Kathleen Kennedy's failures with the Star Wars franchise, I expect she'll do the same with Indiana Jones.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
You do realize that Kathleen Kennedy has been a producer on all of the previous Indiana Jones films, too, right? All the way back to Raiders.
I have nothing against her, but she was Spielberg's assistant on Raiders, an associate producer on Temple of Doom (as well as one of the dancers in the opening sequence, apparently), and had minimal involvement with Last Crusade, so I don't think she was making major creative contributions to any of those films.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Kennedy gets a lot of flack for stuff I don't think she deserves flack for. The most obvious one is the Solo situation with Lord and Miller, which ballooned out of her control. She put the movie first, which is her job.

That being said, the thing I will lay at her feet is a failure to develop a cohesive vision for what the arc of the sequel trilogy would be in advance of shooting it.

That's not really an issue with Indiana Jones because this is not being developed as the first installment of a new trilogy. It will be a complete narrative unto itself, as were the others before it.

Whether or not she was making major creative decisions on the previous films, she was a part of them. She knows how they worked and she obviously cares about them.

I don't see any reason to doubt her ability to do this. I don't think the movie needs to happen at all, but Disney is going to do it. Since that is going to happen, I can't think of anybody better qualified to produce this than her. Well, maybe Spielberg, who will also be involved in that capacity. But I really don't see the issue here with her involvement here.

Reactions: Sam Favate

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
That being said, the thing I will lay at her feet is a failure to develop a cohesive vision for what the arc of the sequel trilogy would be in advance of shooting it.
Even that can’t be wholly thrown at her feet. Lucas sold the company to Disney with the expectation that Disney would use his story outline for the last three films. Disney wasn’t interested in using his outline. Disney set a release date for the first film and wouldn’t budge on it, despite pleas from the creative team to do so. Kennedy was given a very rigid framework within which to do her job, and all things considered, she did a very respectable job within those immovable parameters.

In hindsight, I think the biggest issue was simply that the corporate culture at Lucasfilm was wholly different from the culture at Disney. Whereas Marvel was also producing multiple films a year and was in a position to utilize Disney’s resources to support the direction they were already moving in, Lucasfilm historically had been a much more deliberate and methodical company, taking years to develop products and content and being unafraid to walk away from ideas that weren’t panning our regardless of the expense in doing so. I don’t think they were built for or prepared to be developing a film for release every single year and while that’s not objectively a crazy request, it might not have been reasonable to ask a company that had always been one thing to pivot into something else overnight.

Reactions: Jake Lipson

Sam Favate

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Kennedy gets a lot of flack for stuff I don't think she deserves flack for. The most obvious one is the Solo situation with Lord and Miller, which ballooned out of her control. She put the movie first, which is her job.

Yes. Kennedy's done a very good job under very difficult circumstances, not least of which is the demands of the parent company and the insane expectations of the fanbase. She's tough, and has always put the movie first, even when it wasn't the best business decision (Lord & Miller, Treverow, Gareth Edwards, etc.). Not many producers would go to the lengths to which she has gone to protect the film.

FWIW, Bob Iger has taken the blame for the failure of Solo, saying it was he who insisted it be out in the summer of 2018, when it probably should have waited until December when it might have been better received.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dan13