Indiana Jones 5 (2022)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
This is concerning.

David Koepp said:
“I tried a couple different versions with Steven and they all had some good stuff about them and they all had some stuff that didn’t work, which happens. But it was just very hard to have everybody come together and have all the elements — Steven, Harrison (Ford), the script and Disney — come together at once. And it didn’t.”

It really makes me very nervous that script issues contributed to Spielberg's decision not to direct this film. If he doesn't like the script they're going to use, it probably shouldn't be made at all. I like James Mangold a lot, and if they're going to do this, I guess he's as good as anyone who isn't Spielberg to do it. But...yikes.

If Spielberg liked Crystal Skull enough to direct it, but doesn't like what they've come up with for the fifth one, what does that say about where the fifth one is now?

Just to restate, because I don't want to look like I'm threadcrapping here, but I genuinely hope that this movie turns out good. I'm certainly not rooting against it.

But -- at the same time -- yikes.

Reactions: Tino

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The thing is, script disagreements doesn’t have to mean that Disney is in favor of a bad script. It can be something as simple as Spielberg not being interested in doing something that was perfectly appropriate for Indy but felt to him like something he had already directed before, whereas a new director might not feel the same.

Reactions: Jake Lipson

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think Spielberg is at a point in his career and life, and this is just my take so I could be totally off base, where he knows there’s less ahead than there is behind, and that he’s just not as into repeating himself. Look at his projects of late, like West Side Story, which is something he’s never done before. Or look how quickly he did The Post. I bet he’d love being on set with Harrison, but the years of pre and post production to make a similar movie to what he’s already done just might not be worth it to him anymore. If he could do Indy in six months, I bet he’d feel differently about it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think Spielberg is at a point in his career and life, and this is just my take so I could be totally off base, where he knows there’s less ahead than there is behind, and that he’s just not as into repeating himself.
I definitely think that's what it is too. Even the 'action movies' that he's done over the last 15 years have had some kind of new (for him anyway) use of digital technology that probably was part of the attraction to doing the movie. The only one that doesn't fall into that category was Indy IV which I'm sure he at least in part wanted to do because they were getting the band back together.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Wasn't Crystal Skull mostly Lucas's idea?

It's much harder to say "No" to a close personal friend as Lucas is for Spielberg than it is to say "No" to a big company like Disney which Spielberg doesn't really need anyway.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Wasn't Crystal Skull mostly Lucas's idea?

It's much harder to say "No" to a close personal friend as Lucas is for Spielberg than it is to say "No" to a big company like Disney which Spielberg doesn't really need anyway.
Yeah and he walked away from Jurassic Park a couple decades ago so it's not like he hasn't let someone else play with his toys after he's done.

Reactions: Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Right.

But Indy feels a little bit different because he did four of them over a much longer period of time, rather than just two. At this point, there are more Jurassic movies that he didn't direct than that he did.

• Agreed
Reactions: TravisR

Sam Favate

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
If Disney has their way, there will eventually be more Indiana Jones movies without Spielberg (or Ford) than with. Like Lucas said back in 1977, this is the next James Bond.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I've always felt that Spielberg's heart was only in the first two Indy movies. With Raiders, I think he wanted to prove that he could make a big movie without going over budget and schedule, and with Temple of Doom, he had nothing left to prove and was just having fun. I know most people prefer Last Crusade to Temple of Doom - and it does have a better script and benefits from the presence of Connery - but the direction is very uninspired. The boat chase is lame and the motorcycle chase isn't much better than what you could see on TV at the time. It feels like it was ghost-directed by someone else. And Crystal Skull is like a greatest-hits reunion tour, less about the end product and more about hanging out with old friends and reliving past glories. It's like Spielberg's Adam Sandler movie.

Reactions: Tommy R

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yeah, with Spielberg stepping out, I'm more interested/excited I am about upcoming film(s). Frankly, I'm surprised Disney has let the franchise remain fallow as long as they have, likely in deference to Spielberg. Now that he's moved aside, let's get it on!

And hopefully they'll recast Indiana Jones as well. Let Ford have a cameo as Jones' father/grandfather, if he's interested.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, with Spielberg stepping out, I'm more interested/excited I am about upcoming film(s). Frankly, I'm surprised Disney has let the franchise remain fallow as long as they have, likely in deference to Spielberg. Now that he's moved aside, let's get it on!

And hopefully they'll recast Indiana Jones as well. Let Ford have a cameo as Jones' father/grandfather, if he's interested.
I'm all in for "Mutt Jones, and the Hemp Crusade"

Reactions: Osato

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm not sure that's the direction I'd go. :unsure:

I've said it a few times, but I think Chris Pratt might make a good new Indy. He'll be done with the Jurassic World trilogy shortly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny Angell

Tommy R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tommy
I've always felt that Spielberg's heart was only in the first two Indy movies. With Raiders, I think he wanted to prove that he could make a big movie without going over budget and schedule, and with Temple of Doom, he had nothing left to prove and was just having fun. I know most people prefer Last Crusade to Temple of Doom - and it does have a better script and benefits from the presence of Connery - but the direction is very uninspired. The boat chase is lame and the motorcycle chase isn't much better than what you could see on TV at the time. It feels like it was ghost-directed by someone else. And Crystal Skull is like a greatest-hits reunion tour, less about the end product and more about hanging out with old friends and reliving past glories. It's like Spielberg's Adam Sandler movie.
Agree with pretty much everything here. I’ll just add that I’m in the minority that loves Temple of Doom to death. Seeing Connery and Ford together in the only reason to watch The Last Crusade (though it’s definitely a GOOD reason).

If a 5th Indy film with Ford ever gets made, I’ll go see it with an open mind, but if it never does get made, I won’t care at all.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasquezlane