Indiana Jones 4 - What direction will they take it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave H, Dec 11, 2001.

1. Dave H

Dave H Producer

With the plans to make another Indiana Jones movie, what direction will they take with it? By that I mean will it be more similar to the first movie (Raiders) or second (Temple of Doom)? Or, will it be more light-hearted and weak such as Last Crusade?

I watched Last Crusade this evening. The last time I saw it was in 1989. I was only 17 then, but I don't remember liking it. After watching it tonight, I remember why. I thought this movie was TERRIBLE. (I think Mummy Returns was even better!) The plot was bad - the humor was weak and ruined the "Jones image" and even all the action in it still couldn't help this movie from being boring and lacking interest.

Raiders of the Lost Ark is probably my favorite movie of all time (at least on of them). While I thought Temple of Doom was pretty good and captured the "Jones" feel, Last Crusade failed miserably. Let's hope Indy 4 doesn't go down the same path.

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

The entire movie will take place in a hospital - Indy will be searching for his I V lines.
    Sorry, I just couldn't resist [​IMG]
    Glenn

3. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    There will never be another Indiana Jones movie. Live with it.

4. Brian Bowles

Brian Bowles Second Unit

That is interesting. Raiders of the Lost Ark is one of my favorite movies too. I also liked The Last Crusade. I hated Temple of Doom. I thought it was too far fetched with all the mine car stuff. The movie to me was the worst of the three. I guess we all have different taste.

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    What Brian said.

6. Leroy

Leroy Second Unit

What Neil sadi Brian said[​IMG]
    I'm thinking theonly way it would work is if it's structured like TLC with Indy as the father adventuring with his son.
    Otherwise I don't see a plausible way for him to carry an entire movies worth of action alone, believably at least.

7. Dave H

Dave H Producer

"There will never be another Indiana Jones movie. Live with it."

Actually, there will be. But, without a doubt, Raiders of the Lost Ark is the essence of Indiana Jones. I just wish they would go back to that kind of film. But, I doubt it.

8. Lane F.

Lane F. Stunt Coordinator

I agree with Leroy, Neil, and Brian [​IMG]

9. Tiffany A

Tiffany A Stunt Coordinator

Ah, Harrison Ford still has a little magic. He rules in these action adventures! Hollywood can work wonders with make-up and the man is in great shape!
    Besides, he was a college professor...ageless, IMO! [​IMG]

10. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

I watched the movies in the wrong order altogether. I turned 16 the year Crusade played in Norwegian cinemas, so that was also the first Indy movie I watched, and I loved it, and I still do. I watched Raiders later that year on TV (P&S, but still) and I loved that as well. In the end I do think Raiders is the best Indy movie. Then I watched Temple years after, after building up my own opinion on who Indy was, and how the movies should be. I found it did clash a bit.

- The strength of the others are the different set pieces, which do differ in environment, but Temple is basically taking place in the same Indian temple and jungle. I did not get the same sense of worldwide searches and travel which I loved about the other two.

- The mood is darker and not as funny, which I also did not think was entirely how I felt an Indy movie should play.

- The change of religion. The other two movies clearly plays in a chrisitian environment, the change of religion seemed unnatural.

- The opening. It was a very good opening. Too bad they didn't finish it. After all, it opens with the bad guys killing Indy's friend, almost killing Indy twice and stealing that diamond. It would have been a good opening, were it not for the fact that they get away with it! There's not even a closing bookend.

- Some parts come off as ignorant, the food stuff in particular. Not that temple is alone in this, but it is far worse.

11. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Brian, Neil, Leroy, Dave, Lane & Bjorn (almost forgot you, Bjorn)...and me. To enhance your memory, and mine, the best Indiana Jones' movies:

1. RLA

2. Last Crusade

3. Temple of Doom

(#'s 2 and 3 fall far short of Raiders, while Temple is even a further away from Last Crusade. Temple was Spielberg's overblown and cheesy attempt to focus attention on the kid theme, ironic given the movie-as-paradigm for PG-13.)

I dunno...I actually like the idea of Ford as an aging and greying archeologist. Kinda fits the archeologist/professor mold, plus lends the character more vulnerability, thus enhancing the harrowing and risky nature of the adventure.

Perhaps he dies on his last quest?

Edit: I would love to see a darker, much more foreboding rhythmn with an edgier Ford in the last movie.

12. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

I don't know if they will make another Indy movie but I would like to see a version of the video game "Search for Atlantis" or something like that. That, to me, would be the end all adventure for Jones.

When I heard Disney was making an Atlantis movie I was real excited until I saw that it was a stupid cartoon.

13. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

I watched the VHS Widescreen(ugh!) LAST CRUSADE this evening and there were interviews with Lucas, Spielberg and Ford at the end. They seemed to be very certain that there will be a fourth film and Lucas even said a script was ready. I wonder how long we'll have to wait for INDY IV? I'm guessing it won't be until Lucas is done with the STAR WARS prequels so we're talking a few years.

14. Terrell

Terrell Producer

Whatever it is, the film better have Ford as Indy, or I won't be there when it opens.

15. Brad Grenz

Brad Grenz Second Unit

Yeah, there wouldn't be much point to an Indy film without Ford. Look at the Mummy 1 & 2... And they should just do a film based on the Indiana Jones and the Search for Atlantis computer game. The story was great and captured the Indy spirit perfectly. Why they were wainting so long for a script when they had such perfect source material for an adaptation, I don't know. I'm not sure Indy 4 will ever actually get produced.

I agree with y'all about Temple being the weakest in the trilogy, but funny thing is I always thought the opening nightclub scene nailed the pulpy, globe trotting vibe the series had been shooting for better than any other in all three movies.

16. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

In a sense, I do agree with you Brad. I think my biggest issue with temple, is the way they seem to forget all about the great set-up once they arrive in the jungle in India.

17. Gruson

Gruson Second Unit

I for one hope they do not make another one. It is a different age in filmmaking now and the film would not have the Indy "feel" to it. Spielberg has changed a lot since the 80s and there would be too many CGI effects.
    I love all 3 Indy movies but my order would be:
    1. Raiders
    2. Temple
    3. Last Crusade
    I am glad I have them on LD [​IMG]

18. Jeff Ashforth

Jeff Ashforth Stunt Coordinator

I agree with everyone on ToD. The best part was the opening and after that it fell apart.

1. RLA

2. TLC

3. ToD

If they do make a fourth, I think it would be cool to open with Indy finally getting back the gold idol from Raiders. That would be a nice bookend.

Cheers.

19. Anthony Moore

Anthony Moore Supporting Actor

As much as I would like to see an Indy 4, I dont think its going to happen. I am a huge Ford fan, and its really just a fact that he's too old for the kind of stuff that ole Indy does.

He still has charisma, yes, and can he still move around? Yes. But its just not enough. Indy is a role for a younger man. But hear me now, IF they do another Indy and they dont use Ford, I will be pretty pissed off. I will not see it.

How does everyone else feel? Would you rather see an Indy movie without Ford or not one at all? I vote none at all.

Side note: did you know the Indy role was first offered to Tom Selleck, but he turned it down? its true!

20. Terrell

Terrell Producer

I find Selleck to be a great actor. I think if he had taken the role, he would have been great, and we'd be sitting here today saying "if Selleck isn't in the next one, I'm not gonna see it." However, Ford took it and made it his own, so he's got to be Indy. And I do think he can do all of the action required. He's not that old. Sean Connery seems to have no trouble with it. He's a lot older than Ford.