What's new

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Back in 1981, Harrison Ford donned the world’s most famous fedora and whip for the first time in gratifyingly entertaining adventure as the now legendary Indiana Jones. Ford’s portrayal of the bullwhip-cracking, fedora adorned adventure-hero has been highly consistent through now four adventures – with a fifth one on the way! As with his lovable rogue character Hans Solo from the Star Wars films, Ford provides Indiana Jones with a skill and prowess that is matched only by his vulnerability and venerable charm. Brains and brawn as foundation for the hero make him much more interesting a man to follow and to root for. As comfortable throwing a punch to get out of a jam as he is to decode a cypher to save his skin, Indiana Jones is without question one of cinemas greatest characters and as much a delight to watch today as he was all those years ago.

Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)

Released: 12 Jun 1981...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Have they added some more oomph to the low end on Temple of Doom's new mix? The Blu-ray, which I think was just the original 4.1 with some reverb added, seemed a bit sedated to me.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Good review, Neil! Thanks.

For what it's worth, I actually found that the 4k remasters improved the look of the special effects.

Most of the worst offenders have been dramatically reduced. The matte lines (most notably the blue lines in many scenes) have been all but eliminated. In the Temple of Doom scene when they are lowering the cage into the lava the remaster adds a bit of extra fire to cover up the noticeable comp. In the Last Crusade scene where the plane "flies" through the tunnel the team has removed the bit of the "rail" part of the model (in previous versions you could actually see the part of the model that the special effects person physical used to guide the model). The team even slightly cleaned up the "aging" scene in Last Crusade but bulking up the shirt collar so it doesn't look quite as wonky.

The colour timing is fantastic.

This is a great remaster. Easily the best they've looked and sounded at home.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I cannot wait for my set to arrive, either late this week or early next.

Raiders has remained my favorite film of all-time since I first saw it in the theater (the Eric 3 Montgomeryville, possibly in 70mm, likely 35mm Dolby) back in June 1981. I would then see the film theatrically 15 times over the next 12 months! The two additional screenings that stand out to me was riding my bicycle nearly 8 miles on busy suburban streets (with hills), not really knowing my way, to see it at the Eric Feasterville in 70mm one summer afternoon (and not telling my parents where I was going!). The other was when it was finally playing at my neighborhood theater (Eric Twin Village Mall in Horsham, PA) nearly a year later, in 35mm mono, and the print they received had spliced the end credits directly after the opening credits (Directed by Steven Spielberg, cut to old guy wheeling the Ark and the end credits roll, cut away just before the Paramount logo back to our regularly scheduled movie).

This was the film that REALLY got me interested in wanting to be a director, something I am still striving for 40 years later!

Last edited:

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Raiders Opening Day.jpg

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I wasn’t around in ‘81 to go see it, but I saw 35mm prints several times in the 80s and 90s, the IMAX release in 2012 (I think that was it) and the 4K DCP in repertory midnight screenings in the years since. It’s always a good time.

Tino

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Raiders Of The Lost Ark may the best movie experience I’ve ever had.

I saw it as a sneak preview before it opened and knew zero about it other than it was from Spielberg and Lucas. I thought it was something about Noah’s Ark. Two hours later my friends and I had witnessed an instant classic and a forerunner of countless films to come.

I saw it countless times that summer in 70MM Six Track Dolby Stereo. And the audiences loved it at every showing.

Ark”

Read more at
in70mm.com
The 70mm Newsletter
Compiled by: Michael Coate, Hollywood, USADate: 19.07.2010
raiders_poster.jpg
A quick-reference tribute to the greatest action-adventure movie ever made…

CAST:
Indiana Jones – Harrison Ford
Marion Ravenwood – Karen Allen
Rene Belloq – Paul Freeman
Arnold Toht – Ronald Lacey
Sallah – John Rhys-Davies
Marcus Brody – Denholm Elliott

DIRECTOR: Steven Spielberg

SCREENPLAY: Lawrence Kasdan (Screenplay), George Lucas and Philip Kaufman (Story)

RELEASE DATE: Friday, 12 June 1981

PROMOTIONAL SLOGAN: “Indiana Jones—the new hero from the creators of JAWS and STAR WARS.”

PRODUCTION BUDGET: $22 million

OPENING-WEEK BOOKINGS: 1,078

OPENING-WEEKEND BOXOFFICE GROSS: $8.3 million

DOMESTIC BOXOFFICE GROSS: $242.4 million

RANK ON YEAR-OF-RELEASE’S TOP-GROSSING FILMS: 1

RANK ON ALL-TIME BOXOFFICE LIST AT CLOSE OF RUN: 3
More in 70mm reading:

Apocalypse Now: The Original 70mm Engagements
Blade Runner: The Original 70mm Engagements
Remembering “Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade”
Remembering “Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom”

Internet link:

Memorable Dialogue​

“I hate snakes, Jock. I hate ’em.” — Indy

“Bad dates.” — Sallah

“Trust me.” — Indy

“Asps. Very dangerous. You go first!” — Sallah

“Truck? What truck?” — Indy

“Jones, do you realize what the Ark is? It’s a transmitter. It’s a radio for speaking to God.” — Belloq

“It’s not the years, honey, it’s the mileage.” — Indy

“The thing to keep in mind about this film is that it is only a movie. It takes all the license of an exotic entertainment that aims to thrill and scare and strike one with a sense of wonder.” — Steven Spielberg

What the Critics Said​

“The guys who made 'Jaws' and 'Star Wars' have done it again. It’s too good to be true.” — David Ansen, Newsweek

“Two hours of non-stop thrills.” — Rex Reed

“Hurrah and hallelujah! It’s hats-in-the-air, heart-in-the-mouth time at the movies again.” — Sheila Benson, Los Angeles Times

“'Raiders' has it all—the best two hours of pure entertainment anyone is going to find—a blockbuster on the order of 'Star Wars' and 'Jaws'.” — Richard Schickel, Time Magazine

“Saturday afternoon is back! — Hank Burchard, The Washington Post

Awards​

raiders_1.jpg
AWARDS: Film Editing (Oscar), Art Direction (Oscar), Sound (Oscar), Visual Effects (Oscar), Sound Effects Editing (Special Achievement Oscar), Favorite Motion Picture (People’s Choice Award), Golden Reel (Motion Picture Sound Editors), Best Fantasy Film (Saturn), Best Edited Feature Film (ACE Eddie), Production Design/Art Direction (BAFTA), Film Music (BAFTA), Best Album of Original Score written for a Motion Picture or Television special (Grammy), Best Dramatic Presentation (Hugo).

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I first heard of Raiders through the Star Wars fan club newsletter. What was this new movie that Lucasfilm was working on? And if they had time for this, why did I have to wait three years for the next Star Wars film?

I used to buy the newspaper on my way to school in the 8th grade. I remember sitting in class in early June 1981 and opening to a full page ad that read "Indiana Jones - the new hero from the creators of Jaws and Star Wars," and I was very excited. It opened on June 12, which was the same day as my graduation. But graduation wasn't until the evening, so I hatched a plan to get my mother to drive me and my best friend to the theater (about 30 minutes away) to see this that day. I was excited for graduation, but this was better.

The following weekend, my father asked if I wanted to see it again with him. Of course I did. He freaking loved it. It brought him back to the movies of his youth - he'd been my age when the films that inspired Lucas and Spielberg were released. He liked Star Wars, which I made him see a few times, but he never loved it - the cutesy robots he didn't like, and for some reason Carrie Fisher annoyed him. Not so with Karen Allen, whom he thought was terrific, and he was already a Harrison Ford fan.

That summer (and into the fall), he and I saw Raiders again and again. I didn't have to ask or beg him to take me - often, it was his idea. I remember one hot summer day, when the movie had been out for at least 6 weeks or more and we decided to go see it again for the 6th or 7th time, and we waited in line for 2 hours to get it. I was used to that kind of thing and he usually complained about the long waits, but not this time.

He even asked to see and read my Marvel Comics magazine adaptation of the movie - that was a first. He was disappointed in Temple of Doom, like many of us, and especially didn't like the cute kid or the screaming woman. He loved Last Crusade, especially since it co-starred Sean Connery. (He passed away before Crystal Skull, although I suspect he would have liked visiting Indy one last time.)

So, yeah, huge fond memories of seeing Raiders in the theater. Easily one of my top three films of all time.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I first heard of Raiders through the Star Wars fan club newsletter. What was this new movie that Lucasfilm was working on? And if they had time for this, why did I have to wait three years for the next Star Wars film?
I wish there was an index of the various SW fan club newsletters and magazines over the decades so I could easily see things like where the various movies were first mentioned, etc. (yeah, I'm a nerd). Those SW mags have run so long now that they've become a pretty amazing time capsule of every era of Star Wars and Lucasfilm.

[WARNING: DEEP NERD STUFF]
Going through Bantha Tracks, it looks like the first mention of Raiders was in issue #8 from spring 1980 which has an interview with Lucas mentioning that Raiders was going into production that spring, issue 9 from summer 1980 has a small story about Ford getting the lead, issue 11 from February 1981 has a behind the scenes pic of Lucas and Howard Kazanjian, a synopsis of the movie ("Raiders of the Lost Ark is the story of a desperate race between two great super powers to locate the lost Ark of the Covenant, believed to contain the original tablets on which the Ten Commandments were inscribed. The movie is an action adventure that takes place in exotic locations around the world.") and plugs the upcoming books about the movie. Issue 12 from May 1981 has an interview with Spielberg.

Here's links to copies of those issues:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceirj1879
Recent bookmarks