What's new

Independent Online Gaming Network for XB/PS2/GC/PC? (1 Viewer)

Brae

Supporting Actor
BrianB, I am not arguing. I am trying to see if there is any interest in playing games on an independent gaming network that have the potential to be played on all platforms. That is all.
I certainly did not mean for this thread to get into a discussion about what Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, and Intel felt about the matter. I wanted to know if gamers would be interested in a no-fee gaming-server offering not sponsored by the concole or CPU manufacturers.
BTW, what consoles are you using, BrianB, Morgan, Romier? :)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I have a GameCube and PS2. I'm looking to get an X-Box sometime in the future (maybe by the summer).

The idea of an online network and all is sound and works on paper, we all pretty much agree on this. The only problem is that there are too many issues that could keep it from happening as one would like.

Personally, I'd rather have each console have it's own unique online setup. I would prefer if they were all similar (XBL probably has the best setup overall) but I'd rather not have to share the bandwidth with a bunch of people playing a console I might not even own.

Actually, Square, Enix, and Capcom made a partnership where they would all contribute money to an online network that they could all use (I assume it all went to Square's PlayOnline). So any future online games that require a network to be played online will most likely be using the network those companies created. True, this isn't what MS wants, but Sony and Nintendo don't have any sort of system set up where this can't happen.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
The only reason I haven't (and probably never will) get a network adaptor for any of the consoles is because they don't all talk to each other and online play isn't free. I refuse to pay for the adaptor, game, and then pay again to play the game. Online play is not the holy grail that some of these companies make it out to be.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I refuse to pay for the adaptor, game, and then pay again to play the game
Only Phantasy Star Online and X-Box Live require additional fees for online play. For PS2 and GameCube, you just need to buy the adapter and any additional fees for online gaming are required by the developer of the individual game you're playing (none of which exist for the PS2 so far; the only GCN online game is PSO, which requires a fee).

JayV

Supporting Actor
JayV, legally, anyone can publish games for the PS2, XBox or GameCube.
I believe you are correct, sir! But what I should've said is that 1) They would nevertheless be unable to use the manufacturer's indicia and 2) A publisher is most likely prevented from a white room approach by current agrements with manufacturers.

I just don't see any benefit to a publisher in Brae's proposal.

And to be fair to Brae, I am treating this in the spirit he offered this: an interesting notion worth discussing. So, thanks, Brae, because I do enjoy these discussions amongst intelligent people who do not fall back on fanboyism, personal attacks and sloganeering. This includes everyone who posted here, including the much-maligned Morgan who made some cogent points.

Brae, as for your explicit question: Would people be interested in such a set-up, I suspect the answer is "yes." But would people be willing to pay the costs? I don't think so.

-j

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks