What's new

Independence Day DVD - what version to get? (1 Viewer)

Nevin

Agent
What version is best in terms of A/V quality and bonus features, the Five Star Collection or the Double Digipack? Thanks!

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
IIRC, the 5-star collection version was discontinued a while back and has been replaced with the current digipack release.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Yes, it's really a question of which case you want.

Also, they do offer a movie-only, single disc.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Well the "Movie Only" disc does have both versions of the film and the commentaries and everything else that was on the 1st disc of the set. The "Full Screen Version" is the version that is bare bones. Of course, that is a moot point as I'm sure you are interested in Widescreen

david*mt

Second Unit
You might want to wait for the upcoming LE. DVDempire has it up for preorder. I don't know if it is any better than the current version though.

link

Shane Roach

Stunt Coordinator
That LE looks like the 1-disc version with a new promo piece for "The Day After Tomorrow." Considering you can get the 2-discer at Best Buy for $20 any day (or $15 last week if you got another Fox SE at the same time), I'd say the extras on the second disc make that the one to go for.

Nevin

Agent
I haven't heard anything about a Limited Edition release. Any more info. on this, Shane? Unless it's a new transfer, I'll just get the 2-disc Digipack. Of course I want Widescreen! ;)

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I have preordered the LE version and it's a 1-disc package (flipper?) that includes both the theatrical and a new version with 9-minutes of extra footage (director's cut?). Also have some extra features, some new, some old. It's coming out to tie into The Day After Tomorrow which I'm looking forward to:) Love disaster movies! Supposed to be a real FX extravaganza.

Sten F

Second Unit
Forget all about the new LE. It´s a single disc only.

Get either the 5 Star or the double digi-pack. They are the same, and are the best versions out there.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I'm confused. Does the Five-Star (or Digipak) have this longer cut of the film that is going to be released in this new Limited Edition?

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
It's with seamless branching. Personally, I prefer the packaging of the double digi-pack myself.
Watch the longer, personally preferred director's cut of the movie. It has much more story, plot and sub-plot and a better character development for the actors involved. Hope this helps!

Jake Johnson

Second Unit
I thought the point of limited editions was to give a small market what they wanted, or to produce an expensive version of a dvd. Like the limited editions of Bad Taste(for the former) and Evil Dead(the latter). Not to put out a cheap 1 disc set of a movie that already has a full-blown special edition. I hope that this has some kind of cool packaging scheme.

Mark Basile

Stunt Coordinator
Now if they re-released a 1-disc version of ID4 with a DTS track, I think many of us might pick it up. I know I would love to have it. But just a repackaging of Disc 1 with a new featurette really won't give us any reason to buy it again.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I would have picked it up even if the transfer was better. The current version still looks good, though it's a little soft and a few compression artifacts are present. But, these things are pretty minor and probably not even worth Fox's time and money to fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks