1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

'independance Day 2'??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Inspector Hammer!, Jul 20, 2002.

1. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I read a small article in the new issue of 'Cinescape' and Dean Devlin stated that he and Roland Emmerich were waiting all this time for just the right storyline, and now they think they have it.

I don't really know what to think about this to tell you the truth, i'm part excited because I love the original, but part skeptical because what else can they do with this story?

Oh well, it should be very interesting though. Who knows, maybe the new storyline will work.

2. Barry Woodward

Barry Woodward Second Unit

They can't call the sequel Independance Day 2 because what are the chances the aliens would return to Earth for the same holiday. But this is Hollywood we're talking about so maybe they will have it take place on Independance Day just so they can call it Independance Day 2 and not confuse the average "Joe".

3. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    I'll reserve judgement on this till I see the movie. While my initial reaction is that there's no place else to take the story I would have said the same thing about T2.

4. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Good point Barry. I guess they could call it 'Thanksgiving Day' or how about 'Easter'. [​IMG]
    BTW, to the mods, I don't know what happened but when I typed the words 'Independance Day 2' in my topic header, I typed it in capitals like I usually do when I mention a films title, but when I submitted the topic the letter 'I' is now lower case as is everything except the letter 'D'? [​IMG]

5. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Hmm. Maybe they could turn the tables and have us go to the alien world to whipe them out as retribution and then have our ships whiped out by the alien equivelent of an Imac. [​IMG]
    Hell, better yet, have it where it turns out that Jeff G.'s character is actually a shaved up version of his famous alien from "Earthgirls are Easy" and that he was only able to destroy the aliens because of his already vast otherworldy knowledge, and he's now prepared to invite back Damon Wayons and others in a takeover attempt.

6. Barry Woodward

Barry Woodward Second Unit

Don't forget Jim Carrey as the shaved alien Wiploc!

7. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

That's right! Jim Carrey too. I smell blockbuster!

8. LennyP

LennyP Supporting Actor

What do you mean there is nowhere to take the story? Ever since I saw it for the first time I've always thought about and hoped for a sequel, there are plenty of aliens that might have survived. Maybe another mothership, thousands somewhere landed on earth without getting destroyed, plus post apocalyptic life and issues, clean up and lawsuits for the nukes, lots of subplots.

9. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

10. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

My initial reaction is "noooooo!!!!". But I will try to keep an open mind. I guess the first one isn't that bad...kind of a guilty pleasure.

11. Dean Kousoulas

Dean Kousoulas Second Unit

I don't see the point of a sequel. If the aliens couldn't handle a 1996 Mac, what they gonna do against a Pentium 4 processor with a DVD-RW drive?

Besides, didn't Will Smith say he wasn't interested in doing the sequel?

Dean

12. Steeve Bergeron

Steeve Bergeron Cinematographer

Steeve Bergeron

13. Timothy Alexander

Timothy Alexander Second Unit

14. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

Nah, they will find out that the aliens use the Blue Tooth standard and won't even need to send up Will Smith. They can do it from home while streaming an alien bootleg of Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.
    I loved this movie and can't wait for a sequel. I hope it covers how the alien ships got cleaned up. That is alot of space junk near every wonder of the world. [​IMG]

15. Dana Fillhart

Dana Fillhart Supporting Actor

I liked ID4 quite a bit, one of those rare "I know it's pulp trash but can't help myself" movies that fall into the guilty-pleasure pile. At least I don't try to pass it off as Citizen Kane like some do with Arm(pit)ageddon (ugh).
    Now, with ID4 Part Deux (or whatever its new name will be), I'm seriously wondering what (if ANYTHING) they're gonna do to top the city-annihiliations that occured in the first -- there's no WAY we're going to see a tall building get blown to bits in this one (though granted there wouldn't be too many of those left at the start of this sequel, unless a lot of time has passed since the first attack).

16. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Independence Day 2???
    Shouldn't it be War of the Worlds 3? [​IMG]

17. ElAhrai

ElAhrai Stunt Coordinator

"I'm seriously wondering what (if ANYTHING) they're gonna do to top the city-annihiliations that occured in the first -- there's no WAY we're going to see a tall building get blown to bits in this one (though granted there wouldn't be too many of those left at the start of this sequel, unless a lot of time has passed since the first attack)."

I'm thinking a massive ground assault is what they'd probably go with.

El'Ahrai

18. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

I could see some space battles in the sequel. They could figure out the alien technology left on Earth to build spaceships.

~T

19. DanHaya

DanHaya Second Unit

Coming Attractions has a pretty good page on the history of ID4 2. You can check it out at:

20. Markus Lidstrom

Markus Lidstrom Stunt Coordinator

Considering the US's first strike policy against nations (planets?) with the ability to inflict mass destruction upon American soil, there should be plenty of room for a sequel.