Incubus

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dean DeMass, Apr 30, 2002.

1. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

I am suprised that there isn't much talk around here about this great band. IMHO, they are by far the best "new" band to come around from todays current crop of mostly bad bands. They have a very talented singer and the band playing behind him are also excellent.
    Anyway, myself and a couple of friends of mine went to Ft. Wayne, IN last night to check them out live. Needless to say, Incubus is even more impressive live then they are on studio recordings. They played for a good hour and a half and also played a good variety of old and new. My only disappointment was that they didn't play "Blood on the Ground", that is probably my favorite song from them (go through a divorce and you'll know why [​IMG] ), but it didn't detract from the rest of the show. Everyone in the band was spot on and I didn't hear one single mistake. The big surprise for me was that they played the Middle Eastern sounding "Aqueous Transmission". They actually closed with that song and it sounded amazing.
    Now for the reality..... boy did I feel old at that show. When we arrived, I thought I may be one of ten that would be drinking. The average age had to be about 16 or 17. I was expecting a young crowd, but this just was too much. After all was said and done I was one in about 15 who was drinking. [​IMG]
    My friends and I were talking about how when we started seeing bands like Alice in Chains, Tool, Pearl Jam, NIN, Rage Against the Machine, Primus, etc..., those kids were probably about 7 years old. [​IMG]
    Anyways, Incubus is fantastic live and any fan should check them out...... old and young. [​IMG]
    -Dean-

2. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    Agreed. This is a great band full of great musicians. I haven't seen them live yet, but hope to soon. Their last cd stayed in my cd player for about 4 months. The funny part is someone gave me the cd because she didn't like it.
    As for the old feeling, I get that myself at concerts. But at least seeing people that young at a rock concert is a good sign. I was beginning to think all teens listened to that prepackaged pop crap. It looks as if rock is regaining some popularity.
    Just think...people used to say the same about us when we were going to see bands like AIC, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, and Rage. Man it sucks getting older. [​IMG]

3. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Dean, I totally agree.

Incubus has a totally unique sound and great musicianship that doesn't tire on you like a band like 311 for instance.

I agree with the live statement. I saw them about 3 years ago open up for Third Eye Blind (what a joke that band is) and they blew them off the stage.

Question for ya...did the drummer still have his kit sideways so you can see him attack the bass drum and hi-hat? I thought that was the coolest part of the show. They faced him off directly with the guy on the turntables and it was like they were competing all night for superiority. I loved that part of the show.

4. StevenW

StevenW Second Unit

Im a huge Incubus fan! I just saw them live 2 times in three days when they were in the Los Angeles area about a week ago. They are very awesome live....and the dude knows how to sing [​IMG] Science, Make Yourself & Morning View have been playing constantly in my player for a very very long time now. Some people give them slack because they are getting a more younger crowd now., ie teenage girls. As long as they stay true to their art and sound as good as they do now, I could care less (altho it is eye candy to be at their concert with cute chicks every where you look) [​IMG]

5. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

I'm new to their stuff (try last weekend on the recomendation of a friend). I really do love the Morning View album, I think it is full of terrific songs. I'm certainly impressed!

Dan

6. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

Dan,
    Glad to hear you like this great band. Pick up Make Yourself and S.C.I.E.N.C.E. ASAP, you will not be disappointed.
    Evan,
    I wish that was how the drums would have been set up. They actually had a neat setup. They had a curved ramp going up behind them. The turntables were on a riser to the left and the drummer was on a riser to the right, they were both facing the crowd. There was a couch in front of the turntables and a chair in front of the drums. They had a big screen set behind and the light show was killer. On the screen they showed various images and sometimes live images of the band. THe coolest images were when they had the screen set up like three windows and you were seeing all types of crap through them. The light show was very impressive.
    I still wish they would of played "Blood on the Ground".
    "I don't want to talk to you anymore
    I'm afraid of what I might say
    I bite my tongue everytime you come around
    Cause blood in my mouth beats blood on the ground"
    -Dean-

7. Jack Fanning

Jack Fanning Second Unit

Jack Fanning
    I definitely agree! I've seen Incubus twice live and are seeing them tonight in B'ham, AL. The Morning View record has been probably my most played cd of the last year or so.