Incredibly stupid bass management quesiton.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Philip Hamm, Aug 7, 2001.

1. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Philip Hamm is the biggest HT bass idiot ever. Just wanted to get that out in the open before you read this post. Don't think that fancy green "Administrator" logo means I know anything about HT. I am an idiot.
    Here's the bass management problem:
    I am getting no bass from the "5" in 5.1 when I use the "External Decoder" mode on my receiver. This is not a problem for DD soundtracks but it hampers DTS and DVD-A greatly. DTS is really the problem since I've got so much software. Historically most of my DTS software has had enough information in the LFE channel to mask this problem (mostly old LDs). However, recently I've discovered my problem and I want to fix it!
    A new receiver (the real solution) is out of the question. Any solution that costs more than $100 is out of the question. I can't afford it.
    What I'm thinking is that I can do is:
    (1) Get a second sub, hook it to the main L/R speaker outputs, use the onboard speaker level connections to listen to the bass from the main L/R channels. I'll have the bass from the mains. Since this is used on a ver low percentage of software I won't feel bad about it being a cheapo sub. Besides the real serious bass should be going through the LFE anyway.
    (2) Hook up my existing sub using both the line level and the speaker level connections simultaneously. In theory this should work nicely. In practice I'm pretty sure it's impossible.
    (3) Get some kind of crossover for my L/R preamp outs - feed the sub with the low output and send the high output back to the power amp in! Not sure if this is feasible.
    Can you help me?!?!?! (got an old el cheapo sub in a closet collecting dust?)
    ------------------
    Philip Hamm
    AIM: PhilBiker

2. MaxY

MaxY Guest

Well knowing the type of reciever could help. [​IMG]
    Not sure what you are using but if you have a DSP A1 it does use bass management on it's 5.1 channel input.
    You might want to think that if this is what is happening in your case the first thing to check would be that you have all speakers set to large.
    I know it sounds simple but this freaked me out on my DSP A1 and might just be what is going on with your unit.
    Max
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
    Equipment Lists for My HTs
    Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here

3. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Phil - your Onkyo is likely similar to my old 828THX I have somewhere around. If I am reading your question right you are playing some source through the db25 input without bass management and your 'system A' configuration in the receiver is set-up for a sub? Perhaps you just need to redefine it as no sub (temporarily) and then take your existing sub or the one laying around and set the crossover appropriate for your left and right?

4. Trevor Schell

Trevor Schell Supporting Actor

quote: Well knowing the type of reciever could help. [/quote]
    If I can recall correctly Philip is still using his 'Built like a Tank' Audiovox 10 watts x 5 beast. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Trevor..[​IMG]
    My HomeTheater S.E. Sonically Enhanced
    Updated new pictures!
    [Edited last by Trevor Schell on August 07, 2001 at 10:38 PM]

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

The kind of receiver is an Onkyo TX-SV919THX. If you want more details search for my posts over the last two weeks on the "Hardware" forum and look where I mention bass management.
    Phil the problem with your proposal is that with sub set to "no" the 919/828 does not reroute the LFE line information to the mains. I verified this by using the LFE test tone on Video Essentials with the sub set to "off". Nothing out of the mains, not even a very quiet signal.
    Soliciting suggestions.....
    ------------------
    Philip Hamm

6. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Then perhaps from the sub out of the DVD-A player jack you need an A/B switch and get out that extra sub.

7. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Philip,
    It would be helpful to know which DVD-V/DVD-A player you have.
    So far, none of the DVD-A players I've worked with (JVC, Panasonic, Pioneer, Onkyo, Integra Research) have provided bass management for DVD-Audio discs.
    I don't have any DTS material that I consider appropriate test material, so I have not (to this time) tested bass management on the various players for DTS.
    So, for DVD-A, you're SOL, which is why Outlaw is making the ICBM [​IMG]
    Regards,
    ------------------
    John Kotches
    Contributing Writer
    Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

8. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm Supporting Actor

9. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

quote: It would be helpful to know which DVD-V/DVD-A player you have.[/quote]The problem components are a Technics DVD-A10 and a Millenium 2.4.6 DTS processor (for DTS). I have yet to hear back from Definitive about using the speaker level and line level inputs simultaneously on the ProSub 100 but I doubt it's possible.
    ------------------
    Philip Hamm
    [Edited last by Philip Hamm on August 08, 2001 at 11:08 AM]

10. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Unbelievable.
    According to DefTech, I can use the speaker and line level inputs simultaneously.
    Problem solved, for the most part.... Wow. Now I have to set it up.
    ------------------
    Philip Hamm