What's new

Incredibles killed my sub (1 Viewer)

CraigWalkeR

Auditioning
If I knew this movie was gonna have some great audio, I woulda watched it alot louder than I did. I guess I should watch this again soon.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Craig here's a hint for you. All animated movies have great sound. Any animated feature from the early 80s on has fantastic sound. They record every single noise in a very tightly controlled soundstage, no on-location microphones, effects, etc.

JasonRabb

Grip
Hey gang, just a shout out to all of you for the assistance on this forum getting people up and running. I found it really wonderful to browse the forum (while at work, hehehe) and get my sound meter working and tuning up my new HSU sub with my B&W's. This is really a great place to meet, learn and explore the joys of home theatre. It also is a wonderful venue to get out those home theatre jitters..."if i plug this in like this will i mess it up?" A big overall thanks and cheers!

-Jason R.

Shad R

Supporting Actor
I would have loved to watch it at that volume. My 15' def tech did an outstanding job. I'm almost scared to try it at a higher volume, because if it blew out an SVS, my Def Tech will probably keel over and die. AVP scared me when it made a wierd noise, so I turned it down. I had the sub running WAY hot, turned up all the way on my sub, and almost all the way on my reciever, with my volume at + 6. (Denon 100x7 model, can't remember the model number, but one stout powerhouse reciever). Ever since it made that noise, I've been scared to turn it up back to where it was, but it hasn't made that noise sense. I watched the incredibles at like, 1 am, so the volume was very low, but it still sounded awesome. My favorite surround scene, near the end, with those hover things, and the guards shooting. That sounded great! Supposedly my sub will go down to 14 hz, that's what the manuel says. I dont know if it actually does, but it can handle some serious bass. A tad boomy at times, but definately no slouch.

Joey Skinner

Second Unit
I just finished The Incredibles; this movie should have a warning label: EXTREME LOW FREQUENCY EFFECTS, adjust subs accordingly. I went out and bought it because of this thread. I have an IB with 4 15" AE drivers and I'm not scared to crank it. While watching "Master and Commander" I discovered that something in my couch excites at a certain low frequency and gives a "Bass Shaker" effect. The Incredibles had my couch going crazy several times.:D The scene where the first rocket launches had a popping noise that I thought was a speaker bottoming. Does anyone recall that scene? I'm thinking now that it was part of the soundtrack because I've heard recordings of real rocket lauchings and they make the same sound. Anyway, even without the amazing LFE it was a great movie my wife and I really enjoyed.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Doh!! That was a speaker bottoming, I heard that "effect" in LOTR: Return of the King when the ring was calling to Samwise. Watch it with that IB man!!!

Gordon Groff

Second Unit

Hey BrentL!
This is a factor that is rarely mentioned - Concrete floors and Bass effect. I ran into the same thing. I kept going for higher and higher levels to compensate - including the dreaded "Clack" of bottoming out to get the full "effect". I finally went totally overkill with a pair of SVS Ultras (stacked ), driven by a Crown 2K (1000W/Ultra). What I have now easily handles full ref levels down to 10hz. In my room, instead of the shaking, I get the "pressurization" effect, which is cool, but still not quite as much fun as in a framed floor situation. Of course, anyone upstairs gets the full effect (silverware dancing on the table, outside lights shaking, etc.) :D

Having your theater on a framed floor really helps the low stuff to be fully experienced. On concrete, you have to seriously overcompensate. Or get butt kickers. :)

BTW- watched Incredibles last night, but since there was a mixed crowd, had to keep it to -12. :frowning: Still, by the time is was over, I think we all had had enough bass to last us a while!

Gordon

terence

Supporting Actor

My HT is upstairs over the garage, when my subs dip below 20hz. I get an ass and back massage from the twins! I love when a movie has bass that goes subsonic, it shakes, pressurize and excites the wood floor/room like you want believe. When I finally do get a basement, I will build a wood floor on the slab just for that purpose. I helped a friend set-up a PB12-Plus/2 his HT is on a slab and he eq’ed it to where he can make his couch shake, but not like a wood floor.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Yep it's tough, it's worse when you are in a 40x40 unfinished basement.

REALLY tough to pressurize that:)

Brent

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

My SVS 25-31PCi easily played back those sub-sonic LFE fast and sustained effects w/couch / chair (vibrations), floor (including kitchen), air, pant-legs (@ all my seating locations) wall, china cabinet door panes (approx. 24' away) with authority and impact @ -10 to -8 dB below REF Level!

I love the reaction's that some of my friends have when they experience their seats vibrated along with their pant legs!!! :D SVS = 4D experience!!!

Although a cement slab foundation LFE impact is different vs. the wood foundation (add vibrating feet like in my kitchen), ... my HT/family room foundation allows enough pressure to feel the seat & pant-leg synchronized LFE impact movement at the other corner of my room, ... approx. 21' from my SVS corner. :emoji_thumbsup:

Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks