What's new

Incredibles killed my sub (1 Viewer)

Rob Ritch

Agent
We were watching the incredibles this afternoon and all of a sudden my sub bottomed out and the from that point pop pop pop. I pulled the cover and sure enough three holes. Two in the actual cone and one in the suspension. Not a great loss, it was the only thing remaining from an old Kenwood HTiB. I have upgraded the receiver to a Denon 2802 and the Center, mains and souronds are Mirage AVS series. The only problem is that SWMBO is not gonna ok a big buck sub and is not real happy at the idea of replacing it at all. Looks like about $200.00 is the budget to replace the sub. Anybody got any suggestions on a decent sub in the $200.00 range that will blend well with my system? The room is a 16 x 18 family room with over half of one wall open to the kitchen.

Ilkka R

Second Unit
Real Name
Ilkka
Heh, I was actually waiting for when the first "The Incredibles killed my sub" thread would appear...! :D

Oh well, more customers to SVS and HSU...

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
:D

Yeah, the sub AND surround speakers got a great workout.

This movie will no doubt be in the home theater reference pile.

William_Gravem

Stunt Coordinator
I just watched that this afternoon as well... the room shook throughout and I started wondering if this movie was going to cause anyone any problems. I read that this movie puts out bass below 20hz.

Sorry I can't offer you any advice on the $200.00 sub question. I've seen a lot of posts where people have a 100.00 budget, I think Dayton is the general recommendation around here. Good luck.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There are plenty of movies that have sound below 20Hz.

The Dayton is only $129 + tax & shipping.

Aaron Howell

Stunt Coordinator
FWIW, Onecall has it one sale for $128. Go to the "Deals" section on this site and look under yesterday's date.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Just how subsonic heavy & deep is the movie?

In just a few spots, or placed threw out???

Need something, new (movie), to stretch the subs lower legs..
Lower the Hz and high the amplitude the better, well,, with in reason-->10-20Hz

I read that it is a decent movie with a good pic Q along with (nice use of surrounds & well recorded).. But they didn't go into just how deep or how often the bass was/is aside from mentioning it will give your sub a work out.

A possible new Ref Bass movie as mentioned by some getting it prior to release, or rather falling somewhere in the middle of the deep bass (sub

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Geoff:

There are probably (help me out guys!) 20, 30 'bass hits' in the movie. Lots of explosions, lots of heavy stuff being dropped, falling, etc. From start to end. Don't know how deep, but worth your while no matter.

There is even a lot of really good material on the surround channels (not just ambient, but voices and such that work VERY well)

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Nice, hope that it lives up to some good and DEEP low end.

The use of the surrounds is just as you mentioned, (what I read), real material and not so much a rear/side back ground ambience thing like so many movies.

Going to go grab a few DVD's tomorrow, so guess I'll grab up that and Fight of the Pheonix also. The crash is supposed to be pretty intence.. Read something about the sound mixing of that movies plane crash & it's bass, was interesting what was said/wanted. Think it was in Ultimate AV Mag and is/was on the net.

Sorry not trying to derail Robs blown sub thread..

Tanks
Geoff ¥

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
I'm still sub(SVS)-less for another month or so, but I was very, very impressed with the sound quality of this film. Sounded amazing on my Maggies!

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Geoff:

For surround use, in one part (gives NOTHING away), Mr. Incredible yells he will answer the phone.

ALL from the surrounds, it was at home and the reverb, levels, etc. was JUST like if someone was in your house and yelled they were getting the phone.

Seriously, I thought someone was yelling in my house!!!

Alan M

Second Unit
I just saw flight of the pheonix.Yes,the crash episode is amazing on my maggies.Good low end stuff also,made my sub work hard:) .

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Flight of the Phoenix:

Heres that review I ran across. The bass and why discussion I mentioned above, was during the Sandstorm according to the review. Not seeing the movie yet, I don't now if this is leading into the crash, part of the crash, after the crash, or possibly part of all three! :confused:

I take it, that it is mentioned in the extras (on the DVD itself), about why they wanted to insert this it Bass into the sound track badly.

It's a short review and those that have the movie, may not know that a discussion about it is on "the DVD itself", somewhere.

Check it out ¥-HERE-¥ if you like.

Again I'm getting away from the orig topic ~{Incredibles Blew My Sub}~ thread, I do appoligize Rob...:b

Cheers
Geoff ¥

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
We had Incredibles on in the background (kids were watching it) last night at a family thing. In just the first hour, there were at least 10-15 heavy hitting moments of note. I wasn't paying attention to the scenes, but I did note a few times when all the air was excited in the room. Gonna throw it in this evening when I get home...

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
John:

Prepare to be impressed.

By the way, are you running a full 5.1(+?) set of GR Research? Or are you doing 2.1?

Gralen

Stunt Coordinator
cant wait to buy it this weekend. problem is velodyne has my sub for repair. just sent it today flight was good . just didnt have my sub.plane crash was awesome

CobyH

Auditioning
I BLEW MY TEMPEST....WAAAAAAHHHH

Only about a third of the way in, something under 15 hz hit and hit hard, and it popped and now it no workie. So, I'm the second. This was last night. For what it's worth, I'll echo the previous comments..the bass was deep and tight and hard hitting and the surround effects were well utilized. This is my new reference movie for surround sound, no matter what other folks use. I'd be interested in an analysis of how deep they're going with the bass in this; if someone has that info, fess up.

I talked with Adire and they can't fix my Tempest, but when the new ones come out supposedly I can pick up one of those. Ah, well.....I should have put a subsonic filter on my system. It went under where I tuned my box and unloaded on me.

Coby

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Coby, you too bud? Sorry!

Wow...

I am amazed my JBL held together, I was running it a bit hot, no distortion or issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks