Incredible Hulk: TV Series box set on 10/21

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Patrick Mirza, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza Supporting Actor

Universal Home Video has announced The Incredible Hulk: The Television Series Ultimate Collection.

Due on October 21st, this six-disc box set will feature fullscreen transfers and Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono audio tracks. An exact episode listing (or whether this is a first season set) hasn't been released yet, but the actual discs are titled "The Search for a Cure" (disc 1), "The Race Against Time (disc 2), "The Legend of The Incredible Hulk (disc 3), "The Jack McGee Files (disc 4), "The Beast Within (disc 5), and "The Hidden Powers of The Incredible Hulk" (disc 6).

Each disc lists a running time of approximately 145 minutes. Retail is $69.98.

2. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Sweet! I'm going to have to pick this up.

3. Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou Cinematographer

Its a no brainer that this is more than 1 season. Its a six disc set.

4. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

It looks like a mix and match from different seasons just to fit a theme.

I want full season sets.

5. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

It appears to be a "best of" compilation from the whole series. Each of the six discs is titled by "theme".
    I hope they reconsider and release the series in season sets. This trend of "best of" and random-sampling sets
    is getting very tiresome. The fans have spoken: WE WANT SEASON SETS IN ORDER!!!!

6. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I would definitely prefer them in season sets as well, but if this is the best that we can get, I'll still buy it.

7. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

It's that old quandry again.

By purchasing this type of set, you're giving tacet approval to it. Not purchasing it, you have nothing.

8. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

Eric's right. Though I don't think this is always the case (I happen to believe that strong sales of the Married... with Children "Best of" sets led to the season 1 release), it probably is the case with Universal here. If this box set sells well, they'll probably take that as a sign that people like buying these types of things. If people protest, they still won't get their season sets due to poor sales of the material already released.

I think the most we can hope for here is that they eventually release all the episodes in different box set collections in no particular order (like Image has done with The Twilight Zone and I Spy). Again, I think that's the best case scenario. So hardcore fans might as well buy into it.

Just when I thought Universal was starting to turn things around...

9. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

Well, if this set contains 'The First', I'll probably pick it up.[​IMG]

10. Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou Cinematographer

Do the math, with those running times its only 18 episodes approximitely.So unless someplace has it for 40 percent off no way im getting it, and thats coming from a big hulk fan.With that money i can get saved by the bell boxed set, and the ang lee hulk.

11. Barry Hebert

Barry Hebert Agent

Well, on principle, I'm a fan of full season box sets with nice supplements, space saving packaging, and oh yeah, very reasonable list prices.

But as television product on DVD expands, and at many different price points, it becomes obvious that I can't justify owning "everything" that I might like to have on my shelf. There are a great many "long running" shows that I enjoy, but would almost certainly never own in complete season sets. For me, The Incredible Hulk fits into that category. Depending on the content of this set, I might pick it up.

By comparison, however, I can't stand single disk releases of one or a handful of episodes (like most Warner animated TV product). I think those are wasteful of shelve space and almost always overpriced relative to content.

As an example... I won't buy current Star Trek TOS single disks, although I have jumped all over box sets of TNG and DS9. HOWEVER, I will not buy season sets of Voyager, ...but, I MIGHT be tempted with a single box set sampling of Voyager. I fully expect at some point Paramount will release "theme" sets of TREK. They did it with VHS and Laser. And they will pick up sales to those who wouldn't/couldn't commit to season sets.

It would be nice if every show imaginable could be released in a format to please everyone. But that's just not likely to happen.

12. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

What is up with Universal?? First they release a list of tv shows they are going to release (ie-Sliders,Magnum,etc). Then we hear nothing and when they do release tv shows. They are not from the list.

13. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I agree with Barry above My shelf is getting rather large on TV sets so I really have to try to be a bit more selective. I like the Hulk but probably not enough to buy it. Looking aroound my room here I have Season 3 &4 of DS9 unwatched, Mash Season 4, Sanford and Son season 2, Dead Zone Season 1, TNG Season 7, UFO Vol 2,B5 Season 2, sitting here unwatched as of Yet, and about 50 movies.

Coming this year stuff I want NYPD Blue and The Shield Season 2's, the rest of DS9, Green Acres, Battlestar Galactica, Smallville, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Looney Tunes, B5 Season 3

It goes on and On. I simply will never get caught up.

14. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

fab indeed yet I wished that it was full season sets though

15. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

16. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I'm with Todd. I wish Universal would release already announced titles before adding new ones. I'd consider this, but only in season sets. Passing on this might send the signal that season sets aren't wanted, but I'll just have to risk that. I'm not going to pay for greatest hits boxed sets and then the full sets if and when they come out.

17. Chad A Wright

Chad A Wright Supporting Actor

If it doesn't come out in season sets, I'm not buying. That goes for everything (except Loony Toons). I figure there is enough product out there that are in season sets to keep me busy. If they don't want to release the Hulk in full season ... I can live without it.

18. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

I just posted the list of episodes on the set over at http://www.tvshowsondvd.com.

My copy/paste is flaky or else I would have pasted it here, and I have to run off to the gym and don't have time to retype it.

Gord

19. Barry Hebert

Barry Hebert Agent

After looking over the episode selection for this set, I must say this is a likely purchase for me. While I might have chosen to replace a couple of these episodes with other "more personal" favorites, this does represent a strong selection of truly "classic" Hulk episodes.

Universal is obviously timing this to coincide with the feature film release. Undoubtedly this is a disappointment to those craving "season" sets. But I think it's better to have this set than have Universal "test the waters" with a season one set, and "potentially" no further follow ups. Can anyone here say "Mary Tyler Moore".

Frankly, I would probably buy into similar collections for shows like Six Million Dollar Man, Bionic Woman, Man From Uncle, and other relatively long running shows.

--Barry

20. Shane Bass

Shane Bass Extra

It would be great if we could get some Kenneth Johnson commentaries, particularily on Prometheus. His commentaries on the "Pilot" and "Married" were excellent. I am like the rest of you concerning season sets. I would love this release to be in season set form, but I am still picking it up, just so I can have something. My VHS tapes are starting to look a little weak.