INCREDIBLE deal on ReplayTV at CircuitCity.com

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Balcziak, Dec 13, 2002.

1. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

Sonic Blue just announced a new $50 "bonus" rebate on the 40-hour ReplayTV. That means there is now $100 in manufacturer rebates on this model.
    You can buy it at Circuit City for $299.99
    -$60 MSN Holiday Dollars Rebate
    -$50 Sonic Blue Rebate #1
    -$50 Sonic Blue Rebate #2
    --------------------
    $139.99 net after rebates and free shipping
    Just took one off their hands. [​IMG]

2. Beau B

Beau B Stunt Coordinator

Does this unit have 5.1 sound? Is this better than a Tivo?

3. Esten

Esten Supporting Actor

4. Bill Balcziak

5. Beau B

Beau B Stunt Coordinator

I talked to Direct TV yesterday and They told me $5.00 a month as well for TiVo.

Beau

6. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

Also, if you upgrade in a couple years to the next latest and greatest model, your lifetime subscription doesn't apply right? It's only for the model you purchased at that time? So at $5 a month, that's over 4 yyrs before you break even.

7. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

The big debate... is the lifetime worth it? Good question, both have pros and cons.

It's tough to decide. The current replays I have I've owned for over 2 years. They had the service built into the charge for the unit ($700 at the time) Now, I have to decide is $250 better or $10/mo? I figure it could be sold for more with the service for life... The question is, how long will it take for me to decide to upgrade?

8. Bill Balcziak

I've decided to pay the monthly fee and keep the machine only as long as I don't see anything better/cheaper/more capacity. These price/performance curves only go in one direction, and I don't want to be stuck using an obsolete device because I foolishly signed up for a lifetime "deal." As we all know--and it applies to home theater equipment especially--this scenario sometimes only takes a couple of months to play out. And, since the lifetime subscription only applies to this exact machine while I and I alone own it, I am only doing ReplayTV a favor by signing up for a long-term commitment.

There isn't an instance I can think of where I've come out ahead buying lifetime or long-term anything. Usually I end up paying waaaaay too much for something I lose interest in pretty quickly. Although I'm sure somebody will inevitably proclaim how smart they were to sign a long-term contract, I think the vast majority of people probably regret signing up for these things.

9. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    DIRECTV has NOTHING to do with standalone (SA) Tivo's.
    The subsription fee for DIRECTV w/ TiVo receiver (Sony SAT-T60, Highes HDVR2) is indeed $5.00 per month (or will be soon).
    But the (SA) TiVo's (Sony SVR-3000, Tivo models) are still...and probably will be for the forseeable future, $12.95.
    If you have DIRECTV - the integrated units (DIRECTV receivers w/ TiVo built in) are the way to go.
    If you don't have...or don't want DIRECTV...standalones are the only option.
    When I had DIRECTV I had (3) Sony SAT-T60's w/ TiVo. I loved them.
    I don't have DIRECTV now (I have Digital cable) and I just bought my first standalone Tivo - a Sony SVR-3000 and I love it also.
    Before I bought the standalone TiVo - I tried ReplayTV 5080:
    I liked it at first...but sending shows over the net between ReplayTV users is cool - IT JUST TAKES AN EXTREMELY LONG TIME.
    After 3 1/2 days of downloading the last SOPRANOS episode - I gave up at the 60% downloaded/transferred point.
    I returned it after I decided the sharing was't worth the hassle - and after a couple of bad ReplayTV customer support phone calls when I was on hold each time for over 2 hours before speaking with anyone.
    ReplayTV potential buyers should know that the customer service portion of Sonic Blue (who makes ReplayTV) is awful...it was just transferred to India. Yes, that's right, India...in a cost saving move I suppose.
    Can't really beat the priice on the ReplayTV though...but after trying it..I went right back to TiVo.
    Good luck..PVR's are the bomb...all of them [​IMG]

10. Tim Abbott

Tim Abbott Second Unit

Tim
    Just an FYI....I believe the $60 in MSN rebates comes in the form of $60 to spend at one of their sites later on. I don't believe it is an actual cash refund. Its still a pretty good deal.....I picked one up today.
    Worst case scenario, its $60 to spend on DVD's at Circuit City down the road, as CC is obvoiusly one of the stores that participate.

So far the ReplayTv seems pretty cool, but I wonder what I am missing with Tivo........Maybe I will have to get one of those and compare.

11. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

You know, I was really wondering about the replay support. I have had to deal with them in the past few days. To say the least it's a fustrating task.

I was also talking to a guy with a thick india accent on one call. He was having a tough time understanding what I was talking about so I asked for a supervisor. The supervisor also had a thick accent. Yesterday I called again this time a third rep with a thick india accent was talking to me. At the end of the call a supervisor was suppose to be calling me back. I asked where this call center was. He said he couldn't tell me, said security reasons. I thoght that was odd. He finally said 'the west coast' I was so tempted to ask of what continent, but I didn't.

BTW, the supervisor never called me back. Monday I'll be calling sonic blue directly to get my problem resolved.

12. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

replaytv has ethernet built in. I'm not sure if Tivo has it or not. That's a MUST in my opinion because I'd rather not have a phone line tied up. I believe the ReplayTV also has a USB port which one could use with a wireless ethernet adapter so you wouldn't need to run cabling to the RTV location.

I don't have one but this is what I surmised in the little research I did into them.

I'm just not sure how it gets hooked up with a digital cable box so I can record pay-programming while watching something else and without me remembering and needing to switch the RF bypass...

13. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas

14. Michael D. Bunting

Michael
    FYI: The REPLAY's (5000 series anyway) DO NOT have a Digital OUT
    The USB 2.0 on the new S2 SONY TiVo's can support ethernet connectivity...but that's for another forum. [​IMG]
    All you need is a router and a ethernet adapter to plug into the usb2.0 slot on the new series 2 TiVo's (Sony SVR-3000's anyway) and that eliminates the need for using the "phone line".
    Just an FYI

15. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

FYI Michael, the Replay 5k's DO have Digital out, digital audio via a tos-link (optical) connection. All digital audio out is 48k.

4 and 4.5k have component video/rgb video out via a 15 pin vga connector that can be configured for RGB or YPrPb, need a cable to match. The 5k boxes have component video out, no option for RGB anymore.

The 5K boxes do have USB out, but SonicBlue says wireless ethernet won't be supported until first quarter next year, jan-march.

16. Evan Hartnett

Evan Hartnett Stunt Coordinator

17. Michael D. Bunting

Michael
    Yep..I was wrong...Thanks for clearing that up Jeff.

They do indeed have Optical OUT - what I was thinking of was - Optical IN.

They (nor the TiVo's) have Optical Inputs - which is something I would kill for.

18. JeffreyMercado

JeffreyMercado Second Unit

Can anyone explain what the differance between the Model 4504 and the 5040 is besides the front panel?