What's new

Incorporating a company *PLEASE HELP* (1 Viewer)

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
Hey, does anyone know the steps/requirements to go about incorporating a company? If anyone knows and is from the DC metropolitan area, where is the agency or institution around here where one would go to here? Any info or links would be extremely helpful and greatly appreciated.

Benny G

Second Unit
Oh, yes!! I had to find this out for a class earlier this semester. It's really quite simple. Well, it's simple, but I can't remember the exact requirements.

Here's what I recall:

1) The company name must include one of the following words: Corporation, Company, Incorporated, or Limited. The name cannot include the words: Bank, Industrial Bank, Deposit, Surety, Security, Trust, or Trust Company.

2) You need to draft "Articles of Incorporation" for your company. They talk about the name, business description, shares, incorporators, detc...#1 as above is actually part of this.

3) Submission form and fee.

Those are for Michigan..but Washington DC is likely similar. You should be able to find the exact descriptions and requirements online somewhere. Try the official Washington DC website..it's sure to be there.

Don Black

Screenwriter
Gregg,

Any attorney should be able to get you setup with Articles, Bylaws, Incorporation filings, etc. for about $300.

You should do a trademark/company search yourself to make sure that your chosen name is valid. Don't have the lawyer do this since this is all profit.

Good luck. It's really quite easy. I've incorporated 3 companies since I was 18.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> Any attorney should be able to get you setup with Articles, Bylaws, Incorporation filings, etc. for about $300.

Or you can do it yourself much cheaper. In some states you can do it easily online. No real need for a lawyer, unless you have more money than you need.

Don Black

Screenwriter
I wouldn't say that at all. The amount of time my lawyer saved me was well worth his fees.

If you have more time than money, I suppose you could give it a shot and do it yourself. But unless your business is really small potatoes, an attorney's second pair of eyes, with respect to bylaws, etc., is worth the money for the security they provide in the event of a lawsuit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks