Incomplete JBL Studio set, what to do?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Matt Lee, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Matt Lee

Matt Lee Agent

Hi. So I have a pair of JBL S38IIs, and an S-Center. I put off buying my surround speakers because a)I'm a poor college student, and b) my roommate had a couple of speakers we could use as surrounds for the time being while I saved up more money. We are also using his receiver (Panasonic SA-HE100K).

So now I'm getting close to being able to buy my surrounds (I wanted either the S36II or S26II). I originally planned to get 2 pairs, since I planned on getting an HK AVR525 soon after. Now I may still get a 525 if I can find one, otherwise it'll probably be an AVR430. But for the surrounds now I'm willing to settle for buying one pair and having a matched set of 5 speakers (until I do a big upgrade), rather than wait and possibly get stuck with just my front 3 and no surrounds. Of course if I can find another pair on ebay or something I can always complete my 7.1 later too.

So here's my obvious problem. The Studio line is discontinued, and the few places that had them on clearance seem to be out. So:

1) Anyone know a place that still has some around? Or who looks like they will for awhile? I may not even be able to buy them until the middle of April

2) If I can't get my studio series surrounds, how horribly unmatched would the new Northridge E series be? And in general, how do they compare to the studio series overall?

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

You could get on Adire's case to get their XBL^2 enabled HE series speaker kits out and then I'll upgrade to those and sell you my S26II montiors :p)

3. John Tami

John Tami Stunt Coordinator

Ebay......

The S36II are there often....many from official JBL retailers with full warrantys. Also Bestbuys seem to have them I keep reading...YMMV.

And S26II's come up every other week or so at Ebay from the JBL/HK store...reconditioned, 5yr warranty, I got 2 pair and swear they are new units. They go fast...so bid late (like 30 seconds to go) with the amount they are worth to you. (I got two pair from them last month...$111 and $138 per pair) I bid over $200 since they were worth at least as much as a new "E" series pair from Bestbuy to me....

4. Bill Mullin

Bill Mullin Stunt Coordinator

Actually, the Studio Series II has been discontinued. I've read in a number of posts that the new Studio Series line will be out early this year, but nobody seems to know exactly when and JBL isn't talking (I've asked them). I'm also in the market for Studio Series speakers, but have decided to wait until the new series is released rather than hassle with eBay sellers or calling vendors hoping to find some Series II's still on the shelf. Have patience, the Studio Series will soon be yours . . . on yes, they will be yours! [​IMG]

- Bill

5. greg baker

greg baker Stunt Coordinator

I would recommend Harmanaudio.com for the HK 525. It is factory reconditioned but it has full warrnanty and you would never know it is not brand spanking new. They have Studio speakers on occasion as well.

6. jeff days

jeff days Auditioning

I guy in the "HTF marketplace, Hardware for sale" has some of the S-CenterII for sale, which are getting very hard to find. I think I'm going to get one of these for a rear center before I can't find them anymore. I emailed him and he said he also has a few of the S36IIPM for sale as well. These are new in sealed boxes. I have a pair of the S26II I tried for the rear surrounds, though they didn't sound right with the S-CenterII and and S36II I have up front. I think since the S26II don't have a midrange driver, they just didn't seem to match the S36II that well. I ordered a set of the S36II from him for the rear and I'm going to use the S26II for my PC.

7. John Tami

John Tami Stunt Coordinator

Your missing what I was saying...this is an OFFICIAL HK/JBL Ebay store. You are dealing with them...(though in my 5 years of eBay experience it's all been very good) not some perceived flacky net company. They put up both "buy it now" and Auction items. The Studio's are always auction. Both of my pairs came in packaged in the factory S26II box...each speaker and grille and manual was shrinkwrapped and sitting in styrifoam holders. I have inspectd every square inch....not one mark anywhere. And the sound..... [​IMG]

The experience was no different then the one I got from buying my S36IIPM's from Bestbuy.com.

And instead of $209 per pair for some E series, (which sounded great!!!) I got Studio II's for $111 and $138 (plus $26 each pair shipping)respectfully.

I guess the only hassle is the extra cash I have left over...you know..heavy wallets! [​IMG]

8. Nathan Bjork

Nathan Bjork Stunt Coordinator

I had the same problem, matt, I looked around online and I was going to get a complete S-II setup but I am 15 so I had to spread it between Christmas and B-day. I got the S-centerII and was going to wait for the S-38IIs till may but I saw almost eveystore go out of stock that had them so I found them for 230 and bought them. Problem was thatI still needed surrounds and just about every studio series was exstinct (except for floorstanders) so I had to get some N26II's at best buy for 130. They match very well even considering the 1/4" difference in the tweeter. My setup doesn't sound much differnt than my moms Northridge E series so I figure that the N and S series match very well, its all in your head thinking that the one tweeter is smaller.

9. Joshua H

Joshua H Stunt Coordinator

I have a 2 pairs of S38s and the SCenter, was thinking I could try something new if I could recoup my costs (I'm a student). PM me if you're interested.

Mods if this is inappropriate please delete it, I'm not sure on the forum rules.

10. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

The Northridge E10s make fine surround speakers for a Studio front/center rig.

If multi-channel audio is your thing, however, you might want the same speakers all around.