What's new

Incompatible Movie Watchers (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Unless I misunderstood your problem [quite possible] it should have. Details would help.

I don't think you misunderstood my problem, and it was a great idea to give it a try. From everything I was reading, Powerline works by transmitting an internet signal through the electrical wiring on a circuit. For it to work, both the adapter that sends the signal into the electrical wiring from the router and the adapter that picks up the signal from the outlet need to be on the same circuit.

Turns out, my living room (where the router is) and my bedroom are on different electrical circuits. The building is also very old with wiring that's probably ancient, and from what I was reading about Powerline, that can cause problems too. I attempted to set up the adapters multiple times, but I was never able to establish a network. As best I can tell, whatever circuit is in the bedroom is not connected to the living room. (Which almost makes sense because I think the individual apartment units are newer divisions and not the building's original configuration.)

Great idea, just didn't work out. Fortunately, Amazon had a generous return policy, so I didn't lose any money in trying it out.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Great idea, just didn't work out. Fortunately, Amazon had a generous return policy, so I didn't lose any money in trying it out.
How's that work? When I've returned things to Amazon, I had to pay return shipping. I'm always wary of buying anything I'm not confident will be exactly what I want.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
How's that work? When I've returned things to Amazon, I had to pay return shipping. I'm always wary of buying anything I'm not confident will be exactly what I want.

When I was looking to buy the item, it said that it was covered by their electronics guarantee which allowed returns within 30 days.

I think Amazon only charges a return fee for something if you're returning it for changing your mind. Even if this item hadn't been covered by the electronics guarantee, I would have selected the option for "didn't work / defective" which would have processed it without a return fee. While I don't think the adapter was defective, I wouldn't have felt dishonest saying that it "didn't work".

They also do free returns for most clothing items.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
From everything I was reading, Powerline works by transmitting an internet signal through the electrical wiring on a circuit. For it to work, both the adapter that sends the signal into the electrical wiring from the router and the adapter that picks up the signal from the outlet need to be on the same circuit.

Not exactly. A "circuit" [in residential 120V context] is just a group of outlets [and their respective connected devices] wired in parallel. This is helpful in gauging the maximum load each "circuit" should safely be able to handle. When the limit is exceeded the respective breaker for that circuit should trip, thus protecting connected equipment.

I believe what you are speaking of is "phase." In an apartment setting you may very well have 3 phase electrical service as opposed to the typical single phase found in most standalone homes. Powerline equipment should ideally be connected on the same phase but can work across different phases, albeit at the cost of reduced throughput.

Without more specific information it's hard to tell what may be happening in your case but I do believe Powerline can work for you. Here to help if you want to dig deeper.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
When I was looking to buy the item, it said that it was covered by their electronics guarantee which allowed returns within 30 days.

I think Amazon only charges a return fee for something if you're returning it for changing your mind. Even if this item hadn't been covered by the electronics guarantee, I would have selected the option for "didn't work / defective" which would have processed it without a return fee. While I don't think the adapter was defective, I wouldn't have felt dishonest saying that it "didn't work".
I had a similar experience with some smart electrical plugs I purchased through Amazon. The first brand I purchased couldn't be programmed from my Android phone, so I returned the devices at no charge. The next brand, which use a different setup app, worked fine.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Hey John, I’m not sure what more specific information I can give (though of course feel free to ask if there’s something I’m leaving out.) I bought what was one of top rated Powerline kits and followed the directions to the letter. The two devices were never able to detect each other so it didn’t work. An additional issue is that I don’t have a ton of wall sockets, so the standard advice of “if it doesn’t work in one socket, try another” didn’t apply - there weren’t any others to try. It wasn’t even that it worked, but slowly - I couldn’t get out of the setup phase. I followed all of the FAQ and troubleshooting directions provided by the manufacturer, tried resetting everything multiple times, etc. Each of the two adapters appeared to be in working condition, the one that the router was plugged into acknowledged that it had a signal from the router, but I could never get the Powerline adapters to notice each other.

It was enormously frustrating and difficult to get to those outlets in the first place, I have to be honest and say that I’m not likely to repeat the experiment. The kit is already on its way back to Amazon.

Edited to add: I really did appreciate the suggestion and hope that came through. It was disappointing that it didn’t work, but oh well. I’m no worse off for trying!

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Wirecutter has recommendations for best wireless headphones for TV watching
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wireless-home-theater-headphones/

Thanks, Dave!

Does anyone have an experience with these (in particular, the Sennheiser RS 165s)?

Wireless seems like a great way to go and I'd have a perfect place to store the headphones/stand near my chair. That's IF wireless headphone technology isn't problematic. I've never used any before.

I DO have some experience with older model open-air Sennheiser wired headphones from my early radio days. But I don't even know if it's still the same company or has changed hands since then. I know their microphone products are still widely used and highly regarded.

And one of the things that disturbs me about the Wirecutter review is that it doesn't seem to take into account audio fidelity. Most of the emphasis seems to be on set-up and ease of use.

Reading the Amazon reviews makes it sound like these headphones are really designed to be plugged into a TV and not an audio receiver. Hmmmmmmm.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hmmm. The RS 175s seem similar but have a set of faux surround settings.

Adam: I'd also be interested in hearing about those headphones you said you use.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
It was enormously frustrating and difficult to get to those outlets in the first place, I have to be honest and say that I’m not likely to repeat the experiment. The kit is already on its way back to Amazon.

Edited to add: I really did appreciate the suggestion and hope that came through. It was disappointing that it didn’t work, but oh well. I’m no worse off for trying!
Hey Josh - No worries and it most certainly did. I understand your disposition. I would be equally frustrated. I'm an ardent DIY guy and sometimes drive myself to the point of insanity trying to get things to behave. I wouldn't recommend it as I am frequently enraged yet, for me, when it comes together the satisfaction is almost always worth it.

I also love solving problems for others and, in that sense, feel I have let you down.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
John, you didn’t let me down at all! In fact, quite the opposite. Before you had mentioned Powerline networking I had just completely given up on ever having internet in the bedroom. Now, I’m feeling inspired to keep tinkering until I can come up with something.

Its just crazy to me that my router worked just fine providing WiFi throughout a larger two story house plus attic and basement, shared by about six people, with absolutely no issue, and the same router can’t handle a single story apartment unit that consists of a living room, bedroom, tiny kitchen and tiny bathroom. My entire apartment fits into less space than one floor of the last house I was in. This shouldn’t be a problem.

Because Amazon was so hassle free with returning the Powerline stuff, I decided to order a Wi-Fi extender from them. I’m not holding my breath, but it’s worth a try. The last time I tried an extender was when we moved in five years ago, and maybe the technology has gotten better since then. It should be there when I get home today so I’ll give it a try and report back.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
John, you didn’t let me down at all! In fact, quite the opposite. Before you had mentioned Powerline networking I had just completely given up on ever having internet in the bedroom. Now, I’m feeling inspired to keep tinkering until I can come up with something.

Thanks for that. It means a lot to those of us who make our living solving problems.

Its just crazy to me that my router worked just fine providing WiFi throughout a larger two story house plus attic and basement, shared by about six people, with absolutely no issue, and the same router can’t handle a single story apartment unit that consists of a living room, bedroom, tiny kitchen and tiny bathroom. My entire apartment fits into less space than one floor of the last house I was in. This shouldn’t be a problem.

Actually it makes perfect sense if you understand the technology. See below...

upload_2019-2-14_18-21-7.png

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Thanks, Dave!

Does anyone have an experience with these (in particular, the Sennheiser RS 165s)?

Wireless seems like a great way to go and I'd have a perfect place to store the headphones/stand near my chair. That's IF wireless headphone technology isn't problematic. I've never used any before.

I DO have some experience with older model open-air Sennheiser wired headphones from my early radio days. But I don't even know if it's still the same company or has changed hands since then. I know their microphone products are still widely used and highly regarded.

And one of the things that disturbs me about the Wirecutter review is that it doesn't seem to take into account audio fidelity. Most of the emphasis seems to be on set-up and ease of use.

Reading the Amazon reviews makes it sound like these headphones are really designed to be plugged into a TV and not an audio receiver. Hmmmmmmm.
I used wireless (RF) headphones for TV viewing 20 years ago. I've been using bluetooth headphones and speakers for several years now with my iOS devices. I doubt modern options are problematic, this is pretty standard stuff now. :) It really comes down to audio quality. Wirecutter can be a good starting point, but if you're not "average joe" then take time to read their review and the non-recommended competitors in case you find they discounted what's important to you.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I decided to pull the trigger on the Sennheiser RS 175s.

Nearly all the reviews I could find online were VERY positive and I think the idea of going cordless just makes a lot of sense in this application. Nearly everyone says the RF transmitter is flawless with this unit. I'm looking forward to finding out.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Thanks for that. It means a lot to those of us who make our living solving problems.

Actually it makes perfect sense if you understand the technology. See below...

View attachment 55283

John, you any good with WiFi?

I got a WiFi extender and for the first week, everything was perfect - strong signal everywhere in the apartment. But after that, we’ve had issues. There are moments now where we’ll see that our devices are connected to WiFi, but the internet connection is just gone. (It stays working for wired devices.) After a few minutes, it usually returns. Then, it’ll drop out again for a few minutes a few hours later.

Everything was working so perfectly and we haven’t changed a setting or anything. Any idea what could be going on or how to fix it?

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
John, you any good with WiFi?

I got a WiFi extender and for the first week, everything was perfect - strong signal everywhere in the apartment. But after that, we’ve had issues. There are moments now where we’ll see that our devices are connected to WiFi, but the internet connection is just gone. (It stays working for wired devices.) After a few minutes, it usually returns. Then, it’ll drop out again for a few minutes a few hours later.

Everything was working so perfectly and we haven’t changed a setting or anything. Any idea what could be going on or how to fix it?

I played the extender game for quite a while and had similar issues and it drove me nuts.

That's why I tossed them in the recycle bin and went with Google Mesh. BEST wifi coverage I've ever had. near perfect speeds in every since room of the house. NEVER could say that with all the extenders tried.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It would be overkill for what I’m trying to do and signicantly more expensive than what I’m looking to spend.

I live in an apartment with a large bedroom and a large living room connected via a narrow hallway. The internet comes in through the living room. Just need to get it to the bedroom. So the idea of spending hundreds of dollars for multiple mesh devices to go just a few feet, that’s way overkill for what needs to get done. Especially when the need for internet in that room is only for about two hours per week.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks