Incompatible Movie Watchers (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I have so many different things I want to respond to here! :D

This means I'll be home much more often and our HT is in our living room...right next to my wife's home office. She'll continue to work there (doing her writing) and is not going to be happy with me watching films/TV in the adjoining room.

Something tells me I'm going to need to come up with another set-up!

I have a version of this problem because my wife and I share a smaller space; we have a one bedroom apartment and the big problem is that there just isn't the space for us to both be home and doing independent activities with the way everything is set up. The dilemma for us is that to have any more space, it's simply not affordable in our area, so we'd have to move - the kind of move that would turn our commute from a half hour into two hours. That's a non-starter at this point, so we have to make the best of what we have. I think the situation has been workable as long as it has been because we usually work different schedules; she usually gets a couple hours of alone time before I get home, and then we have a couple hours together, and then she goes to bed and then I have a couple hours alone.

I think the long term solution for this, if we continue living in the same space, may be something similar to what Neil has suggested. I think we probably need to set up a second setup in the bedroom. Right now, we have a smaller TV and Blu-ray player in there, but no surround sound (not a dealbreaker for me). Worse, because of the older, thick walls in our apartment, wi-fi signals die before reaching the bedroom, and there's no cable extension in there, so no streaming and no watching cable - physical media only. There's also just a bed in there, so there's no place to just sit and watch TV without being in bed. So I think long term, I may have to look into running some ethernet wires in there and putting in another streaming box, and possibly rearranging the furniture in such a way that I could put a comfy chair or two in there so that it's actually a comfortable space to watch TV.

My wife and have very similar tastes and watch a lot of TV and movies together. So much that we get a bit stuck when I’m traveling or working long hours and can’t watch the “don’t watch that without me!” shows.

I think that's actually the biggest problem I face, more so than space. We like a lot of the same programming, but sometimes have different approaches to what we want to watch and when. For me, I always want to watch a new TV show on the day that it airs, or watch a new release disc the day it is released. I like routine in my life, I like having some of my viewing choices figured out in advance, and being able to tell myself, "You've got a new episode of True Detective to look forward to on Sunday" or "That new 3D disc is coming out on Tuesday" really does improve my quality of life. I recognize that that may be completely silly, but on the other hand -- it works for me. So my biggest frustration comes where I might be waiting all week for a certain show to be on, or for a disc to arrive, and my wife will say that she wants to watch it with me, and doesn't want me to watch it without her -- but that she's not in the mood to watch it that night either. And it's one of those things where it seems silly to argue about, but it also impacts quality of life when you're surrounded by discs you want to watch but feel that you're waiting on someone else. At one point, I had a ridiculously long list of something like 50 discs that I wanted to watch, but where she had asked me to wait for her to watch them. That's when I realized this had gotten out of hand.

This was one of those things where I actually had to stop and think to myself about what I actually wanted. Did I want to watch these movies or shows right away, even though that would potentially mean excluding here from something she was interested in? Did I want her to make more of an effort to watch things on my time frame? Did I just want her to understand where I was coming from? It turns out the answer was a little bit of all of the above. Some things I really did want to watch right away, no matter what. Some things I was happy to wait if she was definitely interested and if we could watch them soon. And I found out that she hadn't realized that this was becoming a big deal to me, and we easily arrived at a reasonable compromise.

For TV shows that I participate in discussions about on HTF, we agreed to watch them together on their original airdates, so that I would still be able to participate in those discussions here. For shows that I'm not part of HTF discussions for that we watch together, we still aim to watch them on their original airdates, but I'm willing to postpone as long as it doesn't become a pile-up of episodes waiting to be watched. And for movies that I order on disc, we both make an effort to communicate better about it. If it's something that I'm expecting to arrive in the mail on Tuesday and watch that night, I'll let her know so that she can decide whether or not she's interested in watching it with me that night (instead of it being a surprise announcement that I'm expecting to watch a certain thing right now). And she's also agreed that if she asks me to wait to watch something with her, the statute of limitations is up after a week. She realized it was a little unfair to tell me that she wanted me to wait to watch something with her, but then wouldn't be in the mood to watch that thing for weeks or months. Or, if it's a movie that I know I'll want to watch again in a very short time period, I'll say, "Avengers is coming in the mail today, I'd like to watch it tonight, but I also know that I'm going to want to see it a few times while it's still new" and then she might say, "I don't feel like watching it tonight but I'll watch it with you next week."

So I guess my two cents, for what it's worth, is just to figure out what it is that you want to accomplish, and build a conversation around that. I think compromise is important, and I think it's also just important to re-evaluate how the home situation is working from time to time; better to make small adjustments or to take the temperature on a situation while it's still cool, instead of waiting for the frustration to mount. For a situation like Mike's, I imagine he's going to do the lion's share of the compromising here, and that probably makes the most sense if he's "off" and his wife is working - working from home is still work, after all - but retiring means that Mike has put in his fair share over his lifetime and has earned this time to relax. Being home more often will be the new normal and something he's earned, not a matter of him being lazy or being a slacker or playing hookey - so my advice, for whatever little it may be worth, is to look at the big picture and for ways for both of you to find a compromise. One that recognizes that Peg is still working and needs the space to do so, but also one that recognizes that being home more often is just part of Mike's new day-to-day life, and that he should be able to participate in his hobbies in his free time instead of having to wait until she is off the clock to do so.

So one possible solution, as Neil mentioned, was to have a second setup, perhaps in the bedroom or some other part of the house where the volume won't be a disturbance. Another possible solution might be to work on partially soundproofing her office so that he can sit in the next room and not bother her. Even getting a new, heavier door can make a big difference.

(Probably off-topic, but writing this is reminding me of a conflict I had at a previous job with one of the managers that wasn't actually my boss. She had an office outside of my cubicle; she had a door, I did not, but she refused to close the door as a matter of policy. I was required to be on multiple conference calls throughout the day, and the manager in the office behind me would constantly complain about having to listen to my end of the phone calls. To be clear, I wasn't shouting or being overly loud; I was merely doing my job as assigned. I think she ended up making a complaint to my supervisor about this, who basically told her to stop interfering with my work and to feel free to close her door as necessary. The point being that it was inappropriate for her to ask me to make an accommodation when she had a door that could be closed and I didn't.)

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This might become even more crucial in coming months, Robert.

I'll be heading into semi-retirement soon...retiring from my current job after 30-years but continuing to work part-time---but in a much scaled-back schedule. This means I'll be home much more often and our HT is in our living room...right next to my wife's home office. She'll continue to work there (doing her writing) and is not going to be happy with me watching films/TV in the adjoining room.

Something tells me I'm going to need to come up with another set-up! :D

But I don't know how I'm going to accomplish that! :unsure:
Have you thought about investing in a high-end pair of headphones, Mike? Unless I have company over, I do pretty much all of my movie/TV watching wearing beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro headphones. Excellent sound quality, and helps me shut out the rest of the world.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Josh,
You can spend a little bit extra and get a Google WiFi mesh set up for wifi.

Best investment I've made in a long while. All my old routers couldn't offer good speed or signal strength. Google WiFi gives me full speeds with no worries about walls etc.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’ll look into it, and thanks for the suggestion - but I think the room itself is the problem. Every signal dies on its way to the room, and I think it’s just the older building with whatever materials are in the wall killing the signal. My cell phone doesn’t get reception in there either.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
but I'm willing to postpone as long as it doesn't become a pile-up of episodes waiting to be watched.
But big pile-ups are the best! What’s better than an episode of The Good Place? Bingeing three episodes of The Good Place! :D

Thanks to TiVo, and doubly so with Netflix, I have no idea when shows air. They just exist to be watched. And some nights there just isn’t time for TV, so I’m always getting backlogged. I think I’m four episodes behind on The Gifted right now. I’ve got one or two seasons of Westworld sitting on the TiVo!

My wife though makes sure we watch This is Us as close to air date as possible. :)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
But big pile-ups are the best! What’s better than an episode of The Good Place? Bingeing three episodes of The Good Place! :D

Thanks to TiVo, and doubly so with Netflix, I have no idea when shows air. They just exist to be watched. And some nights there just isn’t time for TV, so I’m always getting backlogged. I think I’m four episodes behind on The Gifted right now. I’ve got one or two seasons of Westworld sitting on the TiVo!

My wife though makes sure we watch This is Us as close to air date as possible. :)
Oh do I sympathize about not knowing when shows are broadcast. I’m also retired and when my wife did also, I complained in jest that her retirement had cost me my last tenuous connection to the day of the Week. :lol:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I totally appreciate that way of watching TV, but it’s not for me. It starts feeling like an obligation having the stuff pile up, and then I end up getting to none of it and not feeling any desire to try.

Meanwhile, I’m pretty happy right now cause there’s a new Star Trek episode tomorrow.

Yeah, I’m probably weird :)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It’s also worth mentioning that I have so few shows that I actually watch these days that it’s rarely more than one or two in any given week. If I had a couple things every night I’d probably feel differently.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I would think incompatible taste in movies would be a deal-breaker on marriage in the first place.

I disagree. Incompatible taste in movies is pretty trivial in the final analysis of a marriage - especially compared to core things like common values and goals, general disposition, having respect for each other, etc. IMO, as long as there is some common ground that both spouses can enjoy watching or doing together, then everything should work out fine (I say should, since nothing in life - and in particular marriage - is guaranteed).

Personally, I think maintaining a certain amount of distance between partners and their hobbies / interests is healthy. It's important to spend time together, but it's also important for each person to have some space to do their own thing without criticism or withering looks from their other half. It all depends on each couple and how they manage their free time together. And anyone who has kids knows how precious alone time is.

My wife and I share some common likes and dislikes, but a lot of what I watch is not to her taste, and vice versa. We get along just fine. She'll watch Marvel movies, many old movies and several mystery / detective TV shows (like Columbo or Miss Marple) with me, but she's not into any kind of space-based sci-fi or overt fantasy kind of material. Basically, she's a girly girl and likes romantic comedies, dramas and HGTV shows. She's also Japanese and while her English is very good, she understandably prefers to relax when watching television and watch things with Japanese subtitles...which automatically eliminates a huge chunk of my DVD and Blu-Ray collection. We're fortunate to live in a large house (by Japanese standards) and so when I want to watch my stuff I can go upstairs to the home theater room and have at it, while she can watch what she wants on our 50" Panny plasma downstairs. She doesn't mind or feel left out, because we try to watch something together fairly often (right now, we're enjoying watching The Grand Tour on Amazon Prime and The Miss Fisher Mysteries on Netflix, along with the occasional movie). The main thing is, even when we're watching different things in separate rooms, we're aware of what each other is doing, and check in / touch base with each other and ensure contact from time to time. I can't speak for anyone else, but so far (almost 10 years of marriage) it's working for us.

All this blather is to say that I agree with those that recommend Mike try and put together his own separate screening area if at all possible. Man cave time, Mike!

Last edited:

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
I have so many different things I want to respond to here! :D

I have a version of this problem because my wife and I share a smaller space; we have a one bedroom apartment and the big problem is that there just isn't the space for us to both be home and doing independent activities with the way everything is set up. The dilemma for us is that to have any more space, it's simply not affordable in our area, so we'd have to move - the kind of move that would turn our commute from a half hour into two hours. That's a non-starter at this point, so we have to make the best of what we have. I think the situation has been workable as long as it has been because we usually work different schedules; she usually gets a couple hours of alone time before I get home, and then we have a couple hours together, and then she goes to bed and then I have a couple hours alone.

I think the long term solution for this, if we continue living in the same space, may be something similar to what Neil has suggested. I think we probably need to set up a second setup in the bedroom. Right now, we have a smaller TV and Blu-ray player in there, but no surround sound (not a dealbreaker for me). Worse, because of the older, thick walls in our apartment, wi-fi signals die before reaching the bedroom, and there's no cable extension in there, so no streaming and no watching cable - physical media only. There's also just a bed in there, so there's no place to just sit and watch TV without being in bed. So I think long term, I may have to look into running some ethernet wires in there and putting in another streaming box, and possibly rearranging the furniture in such a way that I could put a comfy chair or two in there so that it's actually a comfortable space to watch TV.

I think that's actually the biggest problem I face, more so than space. We like a lot of the same programming, but sometimes have different approaches to what we want to watch and when. For me, I always want to watch a new TV show on the day that it airs, or watch a new release disc the day it is released. I like routine in my life, I like having some of my viewing choices figured out in advance, and being able to tell myself, "You've got a new episode of True Detective to look forward to on Sunday" or "That new 3D disc is coming out on Tuesday" really does improve my quality of life. I recognize that that may be completely silly, but on the other hand -- it works for me. So my biggest frustration comes where I might be waiting all week for a certain show to be on, or for a disc to arrive, and my wife will say that she wants to watch it with me, and doesn't want me to watch it without her -- but that she's not in the mood to watch it that night either. And it's one of those things where it seems silly to argue about, but it also impacts quality of life when you're surrounded by discs you want to watch but feel that you're waiting on someone else. At one point, I had a ridiculously long list of something like 50 discs that I wanted to watch, but where she had asked me to wait for her to watch them. That's when I realized this had gotten out of hand.

This was one of those things where I actually had to stop and think to myself about what I actually wanted. Did I want to watch these movies or shows right away, even though that would potentially mean excluding here from something she was interested in? Did I want her to make more of an effort to watch things on my time frame? Did I just want her to understand where I was coming from? It turns out the answer was a little bit of all of the above. Some things I really did want to watch right away, no matter what. Some things I was happy to wait if she was definitely interested and if we could watch them soon. And I found out that she hadn't realized that this was becoming a big deal to me, and we easily arrived at a reasonable compromise.

For TV shows that I participate in discussions about on HTF, we agreed to watch them together on their original airdates, so that I would still be able to participate in those discussions here. For shows that I'm not part of HTF discussions for that we watch together, we still aim to watch them on their original airdates, but I'm willing to postpone as long as it doesn't become a pile-up of episodes waiting to be watched. And for movies that I order on disc, we both make an effort to communicate better about it. If it's something that I'm expecting to arrive in the mail on Tuesday and watch that night, I'll let her know so that she can decide whether or not she's interested in watching it with me that night (instead of it being a surprise announcement that I'm expecting to watch a certain thing right now). And she's also agreed that if she asks me to wait to watch something with her, the statute of limitations is up after a week. She realized it was a little unfair to tell me that she wanted me to wait to watch something with her, but then wouldn't be in the mood to watch that thing for weeks or months. Or, if it's a movie that I know I'll want to watch again in a very short time period, I'll say, "Avengers is coming in the mail today, I'd like to watch it tonight, but I also know that I'm going to want to see it a few times while it's still new" and then she might say, "I don't feel like watching it tonight but I'll watch it with you next week."

So I guess my two cents, for what it's worth, is just to figure out what it is that you want to accomplish, and build a conversation around that. I think compromise is important, and I think it's also just important to re-evaluate how the home situation is working from time to time; better to make small adjustments or to take the temperature on a situation while it's still cool, instead of waiting for the frustration to mount. For a situation like Mike's, I imagine he's going to do the lion's share of the compromising here, and that probably makes the most sense if he's "off" and his wife is working - working from home is still work, after all - but retiring means that Mike has put in his fair share over his lifetime and has earned this time to relax. Being home more often will be the new normal and something he's earned, not a matter of him being lazy or being a slacker or playing hookey - so my advice, for whatever little it may be worth, is to look at the big picture and for ways for both of you to find a compromise. One that recognizes that Peg is still working and needs the space to do so, but also one that recognizes that being home more often is just part of Mike's new day-to-day life, and that he should be able to participate in his hobbies in his free time instead of having to wait until she is off the clock to do so.

So one possible solution, as Neil mentioned, was to have a second setup, perhaps in the bedroom or some other part of the house where the volume won't be a disturbance. Another possible solution might be to work on partially soundproofing her office so that he can sit in the next room and not bother her. Even getting a new, heavier door can make a big difference.

(Probably off-topic, but writing this is reminding me of a conflict I had at a previous job with one of the managers that wasn't actually my boss. She had an office outside of my cubicle; she had a door, I did not, but she refused to close the door as a matter of policy. I was required to be on multiple conference calls throughout the day, and the manager in the office behind me would constantly complain about having to listen to my end of the phone calls. To be clear, I wasn't shouting or being overly loud; I was merely doing my job as assigned. I think she ended up making a complaint to my supervisor about this, who basically told her to stop interfering with my work and to feel free to close her door as necessary. The point being that it was inappropriate for her to ask me to make an accommodation when she had a door that could be closed and I didn't.)
Josh - I bought a wi-fi extender/booster. You plug it into an outlet between your wi-fi and the target area. Worked for me adding the wi-fi to the home theater which is as far away from our router as you can get.
https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-N300...&qid=1549542664&sr=8-3&keywords=wi-fi+booster
The above is a link to an example only - no recomendations - the one I bought is no longer avail.

Other than that - many of us are in the same boat - you find ways to make it work. I rather lose my movies than my wife.:) So far we've managed to keep both.

ADDED: Even for those of you that have the same movie and TV likes now - tastes change over time. Including mine.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Have you thought about investing in a high-end pair of headphones, Mike? Unless I have company over, I do pretty much all of my movie/TV watching wearing beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro headphones. Excellent sound quality, and helps me shut out the rest of the world.
The trouble with headphones iike that is the long cord from the receiver to the couch and all the pets between. And don’t you lose many of the effects of sound systems?

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I nipped it in the bud a very long time, ago.
What I used to do is take my dates to revival house theaters.
Always, I had introduced potentials to my favorite big screen classics.
If the film wasn't liked, then I'd stop dating those clueless persons altogether.
This was the litmus test.

Finally, I did meet someone who liked every film that I liked.
Yet, after a goodly 18 months of film viewings had been depleted,
I came to discover that we didn't have anything else in common.
So, go figure.

Now, in the case of Mike and Peg?
2 nights for your movies, 2 nights for hers;
and 2 glorious nights of movies you can both share and agree on.
The 7th night, of course, you take her out to a restaurant;
after all, there's a pair of Goldens who also need their night of space, as well.;)

Last edited:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Perhaps this thread should be called "How to deal with the wife when I want to watch something she doesn't."

That said, there is going to be compromise if you want a happy household.

So, my wife is not at all a fan of violence and really does not like movies with lots of loud shootouts.

So, news flash...I'm a guy and I am going to end up watching this kind of thing.

Compromise: Headphones if she is home or watch these movies when she is not. The speakers in the home theater here can be heard throughout the house. So, if I put a good war movie on the windows, tables, and dishware will rattle and my wife is going to tell me to "Turn that shit down!"

Yes, when I am watching a good war film, or action film I like to listen to it through the speakers to get the full effect of being "surrounded" by all that glorious sound. But I am married to a beautiful woman, that is also brilliant, and treats me like I am the most important thing in the world to her...so, if I want to keep that up I have to make an effort to behave.

Believe me, for me it is an effort. I am not naturally well behaved nor am I particularly good at it. In fact my more natural state is to be behaving horribly. My domestication process has been a long and difficult struggle that appears to have no end in sight.

Why a woman that looks like a playboy bunny and has the IQ of Einstein and has caused car crashes walking down the street from gawkers and so could obviously find another suitor in a heartbeat puts up with a painfully horribly behaved nut like me is a mystery for the ages.

I must have something but I can't figure out what the hell it is.

Anyway, we do watch films together. But she likes to look them up and read about them prior to giving me the OK to put one on. She does like to discuss film with me and she claims I have both widened and deepened her appreciation of the medium. She even asked me to help her write a filmmaking class for her students and to speak to them about film from time to time.

So, while we obviously don't like all the same stuff...I liked Mandy for example, she would likely be horrified by that picture...we coexist beautifully.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
What I'm learning from this thread is that a solid marriage requires the same set of tools as a state-of-the-art home theater system. Adaptors, gold wiring and an understanding that HDR also stands for Headsets, Dear and Right.:D

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I would think incompatible taste in movies would be a deal-breaker on marriage in the first place.
Nope. About the only movies my wife and I both like are certain Holiday movies, Mystery movies, and select comedies. She will not, absolutely not, watch horror, SF, Fantasy, or war movies. No exceptions. I'm welcome to watch most of them (depends on the gore/violence/language content) in the room with her but she'll do something else while they're on. That works well for Halloween night as I can watch my classic horror movies while answering the door.
That, or incompatible taste in television (meaning that she likes everything that's on now, and you're more the Streets of San Francisco type [or possibly vice versa]).
Again, nope. She likes Hallmark channel, Mysteries, Reality TV, soap operas, lawyer, police procedural, and a few current comedy series. Of those I only like some Mysteries and some current comedy. I prefer to watch older material (up until ~2010, very little after) on disc. She won't watch discs of even her favorite series preferring to watch them "live" with commercials. She does like older material, as do I, and there's a bit of crossover, but it's mostly that I prefer watching discs and she prefers gambling on whatever comes on.

About ten years ago we moved to separate viewing areas. She's in the living room and I'm in the den. Until then we traded off shows so we both could see what we truly liked. Now, I watch what I want (mostly on disc with a smattering of streaming - my set's not connected to cable), and she watches what she wants (and can be on the phone at the same time - something that has always annoyed me no end whether it was my show or hers we were watching). It works quite well for us. The grandkids gravitate to whichever set has something they like with grandma letting them watch some of their shows on occasion (hers is the only set connected to cable and what they like isn't on Amazon Prime Streaming - the only streaming service I have because it's included with Prime).

Last edited:

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Again, nope. She likes Hallmark channel, Mysteries, Reality TV, soap operas, lawyer, police procedural, and a few current comedy series. Of those I only like some Mysteries and some current comedy. I prefer to watch older material (up until ~2010, very little after) on disc. She won't watch discs of even her favorite series preferring to watch them "live" with commercials.
Krikey, Howie...did I marry your wife's sister? Actually, I can hardly get my wife to watch anything on television as she's pretty sure that it's the instrument of Beelzebub. I can sometimes squeeze out an Agatha Christie Miss Marple movie or a NOVA episode on building pyramids to capture her interest, but that's the gamut.
Didja ever notice that whenever you're watching anything upstanding that might have a risqué scene in it, that's the exact moment your wife walks in?
"What-in-holy-hell kind of trash are you watching now?!"

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Krikey, Howie...did I marry your wife's sister? Actually, I can hardly get my wife to watch anything on television as she's pretty sure that it's the instrument of Beelzebub. I can sometimes squeeze out an Agatha Christie Miss Marple movie or a NOVA episode on building pyramids to capture her interest, but that's the gamut.
Didja ever notice that whenever you're watching anything that might have a risqué scene in it, that's the exact moment your wife walks in?
"What-in-holy-hell kind of trash are you watching now?!"
:laugh: My wife doesn't have a sister... She loves any of the Agatha Christie TV shows or movies (Marple and Poirot especially) so I can watch those with her as I really like them too. Anything on NOVA, or any other documentary, is out. Not going to happen. She's not against TV but just doesn't like the majority of what I watch. She absolutely doesn't like to rewatch any of the 60s/70s TV shows I like and watch fairly regularly (doesn't like any Star Trek or any series with Bob Newhart - a couple of my favorites although, surprisingly, likes Charmed but won't watch the DVDs I purchased for her preferring to wait for it to show up on some channel and watch it with commercials). She rarely rewatches a movie and just doesn't understand my large collection of TV/Movies although she's mostly tolerant of it only making the occasional derogatory remark: "So.. are you building a new wall there or what?".

I get that "What *are* you watching?!?" reaction on occasion. The den is downstairs (in the "basement") and I can hear her coming down the stairs so if it's something for which I might get such a reaction I just pause it until she's gone back upstairs. For example, every time I decide to watch an episode of Deadwood or Game of Thrones, two series she'd never in a thousand years watch, I'm ultra aware of where she is. If it's Deadwood I'll likely just do a full stop. GOT depends on just what episode/scene is playing but it always gets paused as she'll usually make a comment about something on the way to the laundry room or pantry (both down a short hallway off the den). I usually try to save such shows/movies for times I know she's not likely to make an appearance.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
I get that "What *are* you watching?!?" reaction on occasion. The den is downstairs (in the "basement") and I can hear her coming down the stairs so if it's something for which I might get such a reaction I just pause it until she's gone back upstairs. For example, every time I decide to watch an episode of Deadwood or Game of Thrones, two series she'd never in a thousand years watch, I'm ultra aware of where she is. If it's Deadwood I'll likely just do a full stop. GOT depends on just what episode/scene is playing but it always gets paused as she'll usually make a comment about something on the way to the laundry room or pantry (both down a short hallway off the den). I usually try to save such shows/movies for times I know she's not likely to make an appearance.
Sneaky little buzzard, aren't you?
For all the misgivings my wife has about watching TV, she's just tickled pink that I spend so much time writing commentaries in threads here. She views it as "positive" energy on my part. I once invited her to read some of my jillion commentaries in the 77 Sunset Strip thread. I consider them to be at least fairly literate and even possibly entertaining. When I asked her what she thought:
"Oh, I read a couple of them. I don't know who these people are at all." Now there's a response about as warm and welcome as an arterial clot. Conversational spackle.

Well, thirty-one years of marriage. She can cut through my heart like a chainsaw through fruitcake. Fortunately, she likes to drink and can be funny as hell. That'll do.

Last edited:

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I have a main "theater" where we do all our movie and show watching. If there is something my wife does not want to watch, she goes to the bedroom where we have a smaller "theater" to watch something else. I'm the home theater hobbyist so she respects that and is cool about me watching what I want when I want (music too). We will have been married 20 years Feb 20.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks