incoming 25-31pci with strde-835 calibration?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Joy, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

I went out today and bought analog rat shack meter. Hooked up the 35ft subcable to sub out on SONY STRDE-835 receiver( I know it was either no sub and new recever or [​IMG] ). Well I was messing around with meter with test tones and think I have front rear center matching pretty close. There is no sub test tone ( even when turn sub on in menu). My fronts are Mirage FRx7(35Hz-22KHz, +/-3db), Mirage center, and infinity inwalls for surrounds. I have Tosh SD2710 DVD payer. I plan on getting Avia but prob have to order seeing that the 25 stores I went to didnt have it in OK. I cant find in my receiver manual the crossover set(I know I cant change it). Right now front speakers set to large, all else to small. Looked on SVS sight , but no info on pci manual yet. Am I just jumping the gun for preparedness or can you give me some insight prior to the day I get my big box and cant complete a synapse due to elation[​IMG] [​IMG]
    I seem to see alot of imput to set fronts to large regardless, and then where should
    i start the subs crossover?

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

If you go large with the fronts, small everywhere else, I wonder if the bass from 'everywhere else' will go to the sub or to the mains.
    I can't think of any advice to give you, since that sub will need to be tweaked about 4-5 different ways to be sure you get the most from it, there's no real 'out-of-the-box' bam there ya go crossover setting, except maybe at or just below the 40 mark.
    I'd still vote for small all around, but you be the judge.
    You'll be impressed!
    [​IMG]
    Good Luck -
    - CM

3. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Anybody else!

4. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

No. Nobody's here right now.....

When you get it, set it up in a corner if you can, open the crossover on the SV all the way, and set all of the speakers in your system to small.

Start with the sub's level control in the Sony at -5 or so, with the sub's volume knob at a low point. Like almost off. Tweak with the SV's volume knob to get it close, using music for a reference. That's about as far as you can go without the VE type discs....

- CM

5. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

I emailed mirage for their imput(trying not to bother svs guys until sub comes)and the sent back
    1-Front speakers to large, all others to small.
    2-Set the crossover as low as it will allow, the 40Hz range
    3-Volume preference is subjective. Turn it up halfway then decide if that's too much or too little.
    For what it is worth, I guess I will wait till sub comes and experiment. Thanks!
    [​IMG]

6. Calvin S

Calvin S Agent

I have the same fronts (Frx-7s) as you, and I've been messing around with crossover levels trying to find the best setting. With my Denon 3802, I can set only to 80, 100, or 120 Hz, so the only way to get to 40Hz is wiring front speakers through the subwoofer.

What Mirage is saying is totally counter to what I've read other places. Most people say you shouldn't set front's to large unless they are powered (which yours aren't). Also, AVIA stated that an 80Hz crossover is for 8" or larger woofer's, and our's are only 5", so we should set to 100Hz. Even with an SPL meter and a testing disk, finding the best settings aren't easy. I'm planning to try a little testing with both, and see what sounds better, but right now I'm waiting on a new subwoofer cable.

I'm interested to hear how the Mirage's sound with an SVS. I wanted one, but my wife didn't like the way they looked, so we bought a BPS-150i. I'm hoping I win the SVS contest, so I can return the Mirage subwoofer, but if not, I'll have to live with that one.

7. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Calvin,
    I think Mirage means the adjustable crossover on the sub, not the reciever( both svs and mirage lf150 go 40 -120 on crossover). I have sound and vision test disc and tested out with Large vs small without sub, I hear a lot more bass in front with large(Ya I know ya should) compare to small. I guess I will have to wait till svs comes[​IMG]
    I cant find Avia around here so I will have to order online but I think the sound and vision will help when I get the sub until I get avia.

8. Calvin S

Calvin S Agent

Yeah, I knew they meant you would have to use the subwoofer's crossover. I just didn't think too much of that suggestion, since it means you can't wire directly from receiver to subwoofer. I think I'll try watching a movie tonight and test the large versus small. I'm sure you will get more Bass -- the question is will it sound better. I'm also interested in trying out the no-center option, as a guy is advocating on another thread, and see what that sounds like.

9. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

This may be a dumb question but can I use the subs adjustable crossover knob while just running a sub cable in from the receiver to the sub without running speaker wire to the towers( keeping towers connected to receiver standard way)? I assumed I could[​IMG] My Mirage rep also told me to set towers to large and sub cross to 40. But he thinks I will buy the mirage sub, and I might if I dont like the svs[​IMG] I think I just need to chill out until my sub gets here and then play. Thanks for all your imput[​IMG]

10. Calvin S

Calvin S Agent

Actually, I was all ready to say no, but I think I just understood what Mirage was advocating. When you set front speakers to large, but subwoofer to yes, that puts Bass to both places. However, setting the subwoofer's crossover really low takes most of that stuff back out, and just lets the lowest stuff in, where your Mirage fronts won't reproduce anyway. You end up pretty much at the same point, except you have the Mirages reproducing the low mid bass instead of the subwoofer. Whether that's the best setting depends on who does best reproducing that range.
    Obviously this only works setting fronts to large -- if you set them to small a whole frequency range gets missed. I still think setting at 40 is too low, since the Frx7s output at the 40 level is probabably severely diminished, but perhaps 50 - 60 wouldn't be bad. I wonder if Mirage is trying to sabotage the effectiveness of the SVS, so you won't think its as good as it is [​IMG]

11. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Mirage has no idea that I am planning to use an SVS, they think I will use their new LF150 sub(pretty similar on paper compared to freq resp and db of 25-31[​IMG] I actually was going to purchase it, but the rep and mirage kept saying"anther 2 weeks, anther 2 weeks, for like 2months:[​IMG] . I kept in touch with Ron and Tom and they made a bette roffer with the 25-31pci, or so I will soon hear[​IMG]