Income tax issue/question

John*Wells

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
John
in 2019 From January to April, I Physically lived and worked in South Carolina (which has a state income tax so I filed state and federal of course). I moved to Florida( which has no state income tax) in May 2019 and worked and physically lived there from May 2019 to January 2020. I moved back to south Carolina in mid January.

When I filed my income taxes for 2019, I got a refund Federal and ended up owing State in South Carolina (which I Paid yesterday) The Tax Preparer told me that because I didnt Declare Florida as official state of residence while living there (which I didnt do because I didnt have my own place and had roommates ) the State of SC Could tax me for the full year. Lesson Learned ,,

But was she right? I usually set my W4s up so I overpay during the year as not to run into having to Pay

Malcolm R

Executive Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm not a tax attorney, but that sounds right to me. You technically remained a resident of SC the whole time, so your income you earned while in FL was likely taxable in SC.

Reactions: John*Wells

David Norman

Producer
Premium
Reaction score
Sounds correct -- been a while since i had that issue. I remember splitting in a taxable state ending up paying both state taxes, but was able to deduct the amt paid in the nonresident state from the amt I owed in resident state -- basically ended up being the same as if I'd worked in one state the entire year.

About 2/3 of the way down the page under Common Method 2:
https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tip...ive-and-work-in-more-than-one-state/L79OKm3jI

Most states also have a Free Tax Help Line to call if you want to double check further

John Dirk

Producer
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
JOHN
I am not a tax expert but my wife is a CPA and prepares multiple tax returns per year. According to her, you can file what's called a part-year return in SC and explain that you were in Florida for a period of time. The burden of proof is low so they really shouldn't ask too many questions.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DImitri001