InCeiling speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Colton, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Colton

Colton Supporting Actor

Would it be wrong to use in-ceiling speakers throughout my entire home theater? I'm eyeballing the Triad InCeiling Gold/6 Omni speakers:

http://www.triadspeakers.com/products/icg6o.html

So, I'm curious if this would be ideal? Suggestions/comments welcome.

- Colton

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Since you're asking for suggestions, let's place your thread here in Speakers/Subs.

3. MikeNg

MikeNg Second Unit

Not wrong, but IMO opinion not optimal either. Most people opt for the all-in-ceiling approach because they want their HT to 'disappear'. Getting a speaker that's designed for this purpose should work fine.

Personally, I think imaging suffers a little because of it. If you get speakers that allow you to pivot the tweets, that'll only help your cause. The Triads you're considering look like they won't have any problems for your application (assuming you can fit their enclosure in your ceiling without any issues that is).

I'm going in-ceiling for all the surround channels but elected to keep the fronts as box speakers. I plan to run 2-channel audio as well, and felt that in-ceiling for the fronts was a compromise in sound quality.

Mike

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Not “wrong,” but certainly not the most desirable approach.
    Mike’s advice is correct on all fronts: In-walls suffer from poor imaging and coloration, since sheetrock makes for a pretty insubstantial enclosure (since it’s not terribly rigid). Bass response of in-walls is typically lacking, too – weak and mushy, poor extension.

That said, I think Mike’s recommendation for regular speakers up front and in-ceilings for the rears is a good compromise. I have a friend with a set up like this, and it works quite nicely.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. JohnCZ

JohnCZ Stunt Coordinator

To keep my wife happy, I put in ceiling speakers for the surround and rear channels of my 7.1 system. I know its not optimum but its discreet. I had a problem with the sound not encompassing me. I went to a 7.1 system from a 5.1. That helped a lot. I love it and can live with it till my kids grow up.
    Only one recommendation is not to cheap out on the surrounds. I went with a pair of 8" from paradigm.

J

6. John_Stra

John_Stra Extra

I tried the in-wall rear speakers and the part that was most difficult was the direction of audio and level. I would recommend using in-ceiling for whole house audio(background music) and excellent external speakers for your HT.

J

7. John S

John S Producer

Infinity 210's or something like that, are one of the few speakers with a good sub, that I have found work even acceptably as all in-cieling.