What's new

In your opinion, what's the best Street Fighter game out there? (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I still have my SNES set up and play SSF2T every once in a while. I have SF2 and SSF2T.

I really enjoyed Marvel vs. Capcom for DC. The animations were great, the gameplay was fast, and I loved it in pretty much every other way. Just something about Capcom 2-D fighters...

John Chow

Second Unit
I would say check out Capcom vs. SNK2 if you have a PS2 (or Dreamcast(i think)). For some reason SFA3 on PS1 didn't feel right to me. With CvsS2 you can pretty much customize the hell out of it and actually even has old versions of some of the characters. There was a version of Chun Li that still had the upside down kick from the original Street Fighter, although the input sequence was different. It also has what they call 'grooves' which are more or less the different fighting styles, which included the parry system from SF3, a couple of the Alpha systems, and some of the SNK systems. You can also customize it so that you pick some things from one groove and other things from other grooves. Here's the ign review:
Link Removed

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
John, Capcom vs SNK2 came out for the DC in Japan, but not the US where it's PS2 only.

Frederick

Second Unit
SNK? I'm having an elderly moment appearently, `cause I'm not remembering what they made. Are they responsible for King of Fighters? I'm remembering someone named Terry or Bogard or something, but I can't seem to lock down the details ...
I never got into Mortal Combat either. I don't need to decapitate my opponent, just beat him into submission :D. My friends would drive around the city looking for competition in MK. They once stopped at a truck stop, played for about 4 hrs, then proceeded to drive to a shopping mall with an arcade and wait for it to open to play some more (it was really late when they were at the truck stop, and they somehow managed to break the joysticks :rolleyes:). Samuri Showdown was another one of my favorites. Is that SNK? Man, I need some gensing or something ... my memory's going to pot!
Freddy C.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
You're spot on, Freddy, SNK are behind the King of Fighters & Samurai Showdown series of games.

Capcom vs SNK is a mish-mash of both companies' games/characters.

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
SNK lovers with a DreamCast should definately go find Garou: Mark of the Wolves (AKA Fatal Fury: The Next Generation). Good stuff.

Matt Broeska

Stunt Coordinator
have you guys seen the trailer for "bang the machine?" it's this movie documenting street fighter championships. i'm dying to see it. if you go to www.shoryuken.com they've posted a couple clips from the movie. i'm downloading them as i type this. here's the links:
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
i hope all those links work.

I wish the makers of today's 3-D fighting games would take a page from the great 2-D fighters like the SF series- easy to learn, hard to master gameplay. All of the 3-D fighters I've tried have way too complicated a fighting system, where you have to memorize a million different pad and button combinations. DOA3 is a bitch for me, and as I understand it, it's considered one of the more shallow games of the genre. Give me the simpler, more addictive play of SF2 turbo any day.

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
Walter, you took the words right out of my mouth. I suck at new fighting games because I cant put in the time to learn 37,281 different button combos. SF on the other hand.... a person could pick that up in a day and be pretty good too!

-Marshall

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
One thing that disappointed me about Capcom vs. SNK for DC is that it looked to be really low res. It bugged me when I played it, plus I couldn't play that long without blistering up (actually couldn't play games for a while because of it).

Frederick

Second Unit
Morgan, you got blisters? I don't think I've ever gotten a blister from gaming. Sore hands, definatly, but no blisters. You must have been kickin' butt!

Freddy C.

Jason F.

Stunt Coordinator
My Gawd you guys are brining up some great memories. I would ride my bike about 10 miles (seriously) to Cosimo's arcade with only a few bucks and I would have money left to burn after many many hours of kickin' some arse. :) **sigh** The good ol' days :D My favorite was SF Championship edition and Mortal Kombat 2. Both of which the SNES had great home translations for.

Larry Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator
SFII for Snes best ever. 10 star code ruled. My roomate played it every day for an entire semester at college while i pledged. He got so good that he could play through the entire tournamnet on 10 star and not get one bit of damage. Oh the battles we used to have on that game and NHL 94(pengiuns vs. penguins or All stars east vs. all stars east. for SNES( Best Ea hockey game ever. Best goalie control too. they changed the gameplay in 1995 for the worse!) God I miss those days. nothing like sitting in your dorm with your door open and inviting every sap that walked by to play SFII turbo. only to kick their ass!. my character was always Ryu roomamate Ken. the amount of fireballs fireed at each other must have been in the thousands.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Morgan, you got blisters? I don't think I've ever gotten a blister from gaming. Sore hands, definatly, but no blisters. You must have been kickin' butt!
Well I have had this happen to me on SFA3 for PSX, SFA2G (SF Collection) for PSX, and Killer Instinct Gold, plus some others I can't remember.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I had the skin rip off from underneath my nail on the thumb, hurt like hell. I just wrapped it in tape and kept playing.

Using a joystick the bottom part of my palm got red and sore after daily play. I just put a rubber sticker on the board and no more booboos.

[grandpa Simpson voice]

"Did you ever see a game that could take a bite out of yooouuuu?"

[/grandpa Simpson voice]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks