In your opinion, what's the best Street Fighter game out there?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Frederick, Apr 9, 2002.

1. Frederick

Frederick Second Unit

I was playing a demo of Dead or Alive on the `Box last night, and although it was VERY impressive, I miss SF. I haven't played a SF game in years, but when I did, that was the ONLY thing I'd play. Me and Ryu (Evil and not-so Evil) would rip into anyone foolish enough to cross our paths! Only my best friend could go toe-to-toe with me. Maybe it's because we live so far apart now and I was diggin' through the old memory bank gettin' emotional, but now I need a fix, and VF ain't gonna do it for me. So tell me: which of the last SF is the one to get, and for which system? Help me out guys, I'm gettin' the shakes [​IMG] ...
    Freddy C.

2. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Street Fighter 3 3rd Strike for the DC. Excellent game. The animation is to die for and I have a blast playing it. Best SF released IMHO.
    If your looking for some old school Street Fighter on the go you may want to try the Gameboy Advanced Street Fighter Turbo. Its a really nice translation that will keep you busy when you got nothing else to do[​IMG].

3. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

I loooove SFII Turbo (not Super SFII Turbo). The original characters and designs are still the best, IMO, and SFII Turbo had a great balance between strategy and frenetic action. That said, I don't think that there has been a good release of this for any system - they just never feel quite right...

-Dave

4. BrianB

BrianB Producer

5. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

You can find Street Fighter 2X for the DC in Japan; it's the original Street Fighter 2: The World Warriors (possibly the first upgrade where you can play as the bosses) with online capability. Big thing.

My personal favourites are Alpha 3 and the Capcom vs SNK games.

6. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I think Street Fighter Alpha 3 for Dreamcast has just about every character to be in a SF or SFAlpha game (not SF3, though). Nonetheless, I loved SFA2 and SFA3 (they were so fast). I can rip up anyone with a lower skill level than me with Akuma.

7. BrianB

BrianB Producer

8. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

Street Fighter 2 Turbo for SNES is about as good as it gets. While I like some of the later games, they really just seemed to add gimmicks and keep speeding it up.

The SF series is still my fave fighting series and I have a bunch of fond memories playing it in the arcades, in my home, and reading about it in every magazine.

9. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Brian - I should have said a "perfect" release, rather than "good". [​IMG] The SF collection had a really good version (most reviews called it perfect), but something just didn't feel right. I know I'm being neurotically picky, but hey, it's one of my all-time faves. [​IMG]
    -Dave

10. Scott L

Scott L Producer

The top SF players agree (in Japan and US) that Super Turbo (SSFII Turbo, aka- ST) is the best version. Wasn't released in the US but had it all, supers in the original SFII design. Plus all the 3rd Strike & Alpha players know how to play the game as it's still SF. If you're looking to get into tournament play, Fredrick, ST will stand the test of time as there are still many hardcore fans of this version.

I like ST, SSF2, Alpha 2 and Hyper Fighting.

11. Matt Wooten

Matt Wooten Second Unit

Street Fighter Alpha 3 on PS1 was the best too me. i never liked dreamcast's controller so i never got down on that version. Gawd i remember those alpha3 days..

12. JasonK

JasonK Supporting Actor

My own fave was Street Fighter 2 Turbo for SNES. I still play that from time to time.

The SF2 game for the Game Boy Advance is pretty damn good, too. It's just not as much fun playing the CPU...

I had SF3 for Dreamcast, but never really got into it, and never tried 3rd Strike. Would have loved to played it online and take numerous beatings, though.

13. DeanWalsh

DeanWalsh Second Unit

My all time favorite is SFII Turbo. I thought the SNES translation was great (a big improvement over the initial SNES release), I remember paying $150 for the Japanese import (which makes me cringe today), but I just couldn't possibly wait 6 months or so for the PAL release.
    As for the best home version of SFIITurbo I'd have to say the 3DO version was the most accurate to the coin-op. But nowadays emulators come in damn handy! [​IMG]
    As for a more recent edition, I love SF3 3rd Strike for the DC, still very much old skool SF, very true to the series, and lush animation.

14. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

SF2 Turbo... the greatest fighting game of all time.

15. Frederick

Frederick Second Unit

I think I have Alpha 2 for the PS. I think. I have to go and check. A lot of my PS games have walked out of my apartment [​IMG].
    I remember when Turbo came out. Me and my boys stayed up for almost 2 days playing that one. The classic pairing was when me and my best friend took up the pads. I would pick Ryu (of course), he'd take Ken. No timer, `cause our battles always lasted longer than the time limit. The fight would start, and we'd both stand there waiting for the other one to move. Then it was flashes of kicks and punches! We'd set rules like no fireball or corner traps (I hate it when someone gets Chun-Li or Dhalsim or Honda, back you in the corner, and let loose with those multi-kicks or punches), and our fights were like chess matches! Man, I loved those days ...
    I never got into the Marvel vs. Capcom stuff. It just didn't seem right. I mean yeah, it's cool being Wolverine and all, but I liked just plain Ryu, not super-atomic fireball Ryu that'll blast a hole through titanium [​IMG]. I forgot about the 3rd Strike series. Let me set some ground rules: I need to be able to play them on my PS2 or my Dreamcast, although I may need to get another controller for the Dreamcast. I can't see fighting with the standard one. Never tried, though ...
    Freddy C.

16. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Frederick, I suggest you either buy a "total control" adaptor that allows you to use PSX pads on the DC or invest in a pair of Agetec Arcade Controllers... Which are expensive.
    Another option - goto LevelSix.com or www.cart-mart.com, and buy a pair of Uno pads.

17. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

The last one that I got into was SFII Turbo on the SNES. Maybe it's time to hook up the old SNES again.

-Andre F

18. Christopher Chung

Christopher Chung Stunt Coordinator

In my opinion, my favorite Street Fighter game is "Marvel vs Capcom 2" for Dreamcast. Eh, a bit more than button mashing with the air combos an all, and a whole lot of chaotic fun!

19. Marshall Alsup

Marshall Alsup Second Unit

Street Fighter 2 Turbo. A SNES classic!!!

I also like Alpha 3 on ps1 but for some reason I just couldn't quite get into it as much. I think its because the ps controllers hurt my hand after a while.

I used to make fun of my friends that played that lame ass Mortal Kombat game back in the day. It was like, why play shit when you could play THE SHIT!

I love the Street Fighter series and this thread rules!

-Marshall

20. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Street Fighter Alpha 3 on the DC + ASCII 6 Button Pad = Heaven