What's new

In-Wall Wire Runs / Jct boxes and tubing (1 Viewer)

Domonic A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Domonic Ableidinger
I am wondering what all of you have used for running wire in your ceilings and walls. I neeed to run about a 30' run through the basement ceiling for an FP. I also wnat to run tubing in the wall (2x4 studs) for the speakers and would like to use gang boxes for the locations and have the tubing come in one side and continue out the other side to the next box.

The tubing needs to be flexable to snake it through the I joists and studs. I will also need a couple of 90 degree bends. I would like 2" for the ceiling and 1-1/2 for the walls.

Thanks for your help.

Domonic

MikeWh

Second Unit
I think most people here use gray plastic electrical conduit or standard white plumbing PVC (especially for larger diameters, like 2"). Additionally, you'll find flexible conduit in the home building stores (I usually see it in a bright blue color). Standard metal conduit is also readily available, but I think most DIY'ers won't like messing with it.

I haven't seen much talk here re: snaking low-voltage wires through in-wall conduits. I think most people really don't want to bother. For those who have used in-wall conduits, please speak up....

BTW-- You say you'd like 1-1/2" conduits running through your studs. This may be too large for your local building code (it is for mine). Generally, the code in my area says you cannot bore a hole larger than 40% the width of the stud (which is 1.4" for a 2x4).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks