In-Wall Wire Runs / Jct boxes and tubing

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Domonic A, Jan 28, 2004.

  1. Domonic A

    Domonic A Stunt Coordinator

    Sep 29, 2003
    Likes Received:
    Real Name:
    Domonic Ableidinger
    I am wondering what all of you have used for running wire in your ceilings and walls. I neeed to run about a 30' run through the basement ceiling for an FP. I also wnat to run tubing in the wall (2x4 studs) for the speakers and would like to use gang boxes for the locations and have the tubing come in one side and continue out the other side to the next box.

    The tubing needs to be flexable to snake it through the I joists and studs. I will also need a couple of 90 degree bends. I would like 2" for the ceiling and 1-1/2 for the walls.

    Thanks for your help.

  2. MikeWh

    MikeWh Second Unit

    Mar 3, 2003
    Likes Received:
    I think most people here use gray plastic electrical conduit or standard white plumbing PVC (especially for larger diameters, like 2"). Additionally, you'll find flexible conduit in the home building stores (I usually see it in a bright blue color). Standard metal conduit is also readily available, but I think most DIY'ers won't like messing with it.

    I haven't seen much talk here re: snaking low-voltage wires through in-wall conduits. I think most people really don't want to bother. For those who have used in-wall conduits, please speak up....

    BTW-- You say you'd like 1-1/2" conduits running through your studs. This may be too large for your local building code (it is for mine). Generally, the code in my area says you cannot bore a hole larger than 40% the width of the stud (which is 1.4" for a 2x4).

Share This Page