In wall vs. in ceiling speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary Tjia, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Gary Tjia

Gary Tjia Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    I plan to wire speakers around the house for music listening. I have vaulted ceilings in the living room and dining room. I have a few questions:
    1. Would in-wall speakers be a better choice than in-ceiling speakers for music?
    2. What would be the minimum placement distance between them?
    3. What should I be looking at for in-wall or in-ceiling speakers? What brand and model should I check out?
    [​IMG] Thanks,
    Gary

2. Gary Tjia

Any suggestions??

3. Michael Botvinick

Michael Botvinick Stunt Coordinator

Gary,
    I am going through the exact same thing. I local audiophile gave me a few suggestions. Make sure that the speakers are not too far apart or seperated by rooms (for example one in the kithcen and one in the dinning room). If you are only going to put one speaker in a room MAKE SURE it is a stereo speaker and run two sets of wires. Mu buddy loves his in-wall Definitive Technologies. He thinks they are the best out there. I have heard them and they sound good )I own a def tech set up for mt HT) But there is a comapy out there called Home theatre direct and they sale over the internet. Real good prices. I am thinking aobut going with them since you never turn up real laud the music thoruhgout a house. It is more for ambiance. They make a stereo in celinig and in wall. They also make volume controls for the wall with impednece built in. Just a suggestion. Email me if you have any other questions.
    -Michael
    [email protected]

4. RogerC

RogerC Auditioning

I just finished wiring my new house with whole house audio. I used Klipsch Synergy in-wall speakers in the kitchen, den and master bedrom and Klipsch in-ceiling speakers in the the master bathroom. They are connected via Russound volume controls. These controls give you on/off control of the entire system from any of the controls.

I am happy with both ceiling and wall speakers. I would recommend wall speakers for most rooms. Ceiling speakers work well in a bathroom where there is not much wall space and they sound great when relaxing in the tub.

Roger

5. Michael Botvinick

Michael Botvinick Stunt Coordinator

Roger,

how did you wire the Russound? Did you need to run special wire for them (Networking)? Aprox. how much per speaker did you spend on the Klipsch. If you look at my previuos post I am about to do the same and I was considering using Home Theater Direct with Their volume control. This of course would not control the source equipment, I would have to run network cable for that. Onfortunatley that was out of my budget.

This Forum is incredible! Scarry how much power we all have as a large group.

Thanks,

Michael

6. Jim_Stu

Jim_Stu Stunt Coordinator

My new house has both wall and

ceiling SpeakerCraft series 6 units.

The wall units sound better to me in

most rooms.

For speaker matching and volume controls

there are basically three 'schools of thought':

1) Each VC/speaker-pair ran to a 'resistor box'

near the amp. The 'box' settings do

the impedance matching.

2) Daisy chained VC units that do impedance

matching with adjustments at each VC.

3) Commercial systems, stores, factories, and etc., use

a high (25/70) voltage amplifier, so that, wire lengths

contribute less to the amplifier load. They are adjusted

with transformer taps at each speaker. In general this

is not a good home set-up because the frequency range is

compressed to near that of human speech. However, higher

fidelity 70V systems are used in sporting venues.

JRS

7. RogerC

RogerC Auditioning

Hi Mike,
    Here is my setup:
    I have my receiver (zone 2) routed into a Russound connecting block (EZB-1) which is routed to the four sets of speakers. The Russound Smart Select volume controls are connected to the speaker wires coming from the EZB-1 connecting block and also to another EZB-1 which is powered by a Russound Smart Select power supply. This connection requires a special "Russound" wire which is shielded. Each Smart Select is set to handle the resistance load to the amplifier.
    I also have a Channel Plus video distribution system with 2010 infrared ports throughout the house. The whole house IR is powered through the video distribution system. At any port, I can connect either an IR emitter or receiver.
    The Smart Select volume controls can adjust volume, turn on/off the speakers in that room, or turn on/off all the speakers.
    The whole house IR allows me to control my entire electronic suite from anywhere in the house, so I can switch from CD to DVD to radio, etc.
    I also have Direct TV with two receivers that are routed into a modulator and fed into the video distribution (as well as DVD and VHS). This way, I can also watch one of two DTV feeds or the DVD/VHS in any room.
    Don't you just love technology?
    You can find out about this stuff at these sites (or ask me):
    Russound http://www.russound.com
    Channel Plus http://www.channelplus.com
    Roger[​IMG]

8. RogerC

RogerC Auditioning

Mike,

I forgot about the Klipsch. They were about $250 each.

Roger

9. Gary Tjia

Michael,

Have you checked out the in wall speakers at Home Theater Direct? What do you think of the HTD AL-W80 in-wall speakers? The price of $160/pair seems very reasonable if it actually sounds as good as its specs.

I am also looking into the Paradigm AMS-250 and AMS-300. Have you looked at those? They had very good reviews in Audioreview.com.

Anyone who had purchased the in-wall speakers at Home Theater Direct, please share your input.

Thanks,

Gary