What's new

In-Wall Volume Control for speakers on porch? (1 Viewer)

Steve Owen

Second Unit
I've got a Denon 3803 receiver which has 7 channels of amplification. It also allows for using two of those channels for a separate zone. So I'm going to put two speakers on my 3-season porch.

The speakers I have on order are HomeTheaterDirect.com Level 2 outdoor speakers. I'm wondering how best to handle the issue of volume control.

I see three options...

1) Run back into the living room, grab the remote, point at the receiver, and change the volume as needed.

2) Get an IR extender and just take the remote out with me.

3) Install in in-wall volume control to attenuate the volume locally.

Any thoughts on those options? How badly can I expect an in-wall volume control to mess up the sound (not that I'm expecting amazing sound from $60/pr speakers, but I'd rather not do something to make it even worse). Any brands of in-wall volume controls to avoid?

Thanks for any suggestions!

-Steve

David Range

Agent
I went with door number two. I've got the repeater stashed in a cabinet with the audio equip in the basement and the receiver on my deck off the second floor. Works well and much easier and cheaper than an inwall controller.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Another option that may be a little cheaper is a remote that does both IR and RF. The RF receiver would be somewhere line-of-sight to your home theater receiver. The remote could work from outside, and since RF is omnidirectional it doesn’t have to be pointed in any particular direction. Radio Shack sells some of these remotes; check eBay.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks