What's new

In-Wall speakers (1 Viewer)

Bill Bradstreet

Stunt Coordinator
For my master bedroom, I'm looking at using in-wall or in-ceiling speakers. I just did some reading on MTX speakers. I've never heard of them before, but they seem interesting. A sort-of-local store (2 hours away) recommends them. So, of course 2 hours was too far so I visited their web site.
I had never seen an in-ceiling speaker before. I've always focused on in-wall speakers. The in-ceiling variety had a circular enclosure sealed so that you didn't have to worry about HVAC issues. Also, I imagine it will produce a more appropriate sound as they designed the speaker to work well in the enclosure.
I've been looking at Klipsch, DCM and now MTX. Are there any other brands that people recommend? I'm not out to spend a fortune. For the most part, this will be news, radio & MP3. No critical listening will take place in this room.
I'm planning on mounting whatever I get in the angled portion of the tray ceiling and wiring them to an amp which is connected to a wall volume control. I haven't decided whether I'll install 2 or 4 speakers up there. It is a relatively large room (22x14). We're going to have a bed (duh?) and a reading space in this room. I have a feeling though this will be the room where my wife plays her music loudly. I tend to catch her dancing gleefully up there. ;-) So, power handling is still of importance.
Thanks...

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
A friend of mine is looking for something similar. Would you mind sharing any links you've amassed in your in-wall research?

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Bill,

Since you said you're not doing any critical listening I wouldn't spend a fortune on them. Not even the price of the MTX speakers. Try the ACI B-Flat coaxial in-walls. They have a pair of 8" coaxial speakers for $135. You can get them with either a square frame or round frame. I'm using the square framed speakers as surrounds in my HT setup. I think they sound great. I'd compare them to in-walls costing 2-3 times the price.

Brian

Nick L

Second Unit
I'm going to have to recomend Home Theater Direct for inexpensive inwall speakers. From what I've read everyone who has bought from them has been very happy. Here is a link for them.
As far as MTX speakers go, they are mainly a car audio manufacturer. IMO they don't make that great of speakers, they make decent subs and great Car audio amps.
Nick L

errol

Stunt Coordinator
Hi ya folks,

I have the hometheaterdirect level 3 speakers. Excellent speakers. Super easy to install. Painted them also to match the walls. Folks hardly notice them.

Thanks,

Errol

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks