What's new

in-wall speakers/wire recommendations (1 Viewer)

Daniel_James

Auditioning
I'm looking for some opinions before finishing walls and installing speakers. The max distance distance of my speakers wire runs will be about 20 foot for each rear speaker, 10 foot for the one of the front speaker and about 5 foot for the other. From what I've read it seems I should go with 14 gauge CL-3. Would you agree? Decided on CL-3 so I don't have to bother upgrading in the future, is there a big difference in price? Also I only have about $300-$400 to spend on the 4 in-wall speakers, are there any recommedations on speakers? The room is limited in size, 12x11.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
12 or 14 gauge will be quite adequate. you can find them with the proper code CL2 or 3 (check with your local building inspector to be sure about the code in your area) locally or say at partsexpress or accessories4less.

John Desmond

Stunt Coordinator
I'd say 14 gauge should be more than adequate for the length you need. Check out the inwall speakers that ACI sells. Very good sound for not a lot of money.

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Daniel,

Also I only have about $300-$400 to spend on the 4 in-wall speakers
Well my first recomedation will be an JBL NSP1 for $209, or buy JBL S26 = $170 = $340 for four, but the S26 are a little difficult to hang, the N24 and S36 are very good hanging speakers.

Hope this helps,
Pablo Abularach

JohnBrianW.

Stunt Coordinator
I took a look at 2 different Monstercables for inwall use. I forget the names of each but one was .95 and .75 per foot CDN.

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Daniel,
I used Acoustic Research 14 gauge CL-3 rated wire to do the first floor of my house.
http://www.araccessories.com/in-wall/wire/iw1445.asp
You should be able to find this for about 50 cents a foot in bulkier quantities such as a 100 foot spool. I bought a 250 foot spool from AudioAdvisor.com but I'm not sure they're carrying this cable anymore. They may be carrying a different brand but I'm sure others carry it.
I also find this document helpful. The chapter on hiding the wires gives a quick summary of the different types of in-wall rated wiring.
http://www.crutchfield.com/download/...yNHm/HTIG.html
good luck,
--tom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks