In-wall speakers -- which are best

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marshall Sander, Mar 24, 2002.

1. Marshall Sander

Marshall Sander Stunt Coordinator

First - I have read on this forum that in-wall or in-ceiling speakers will not sound as good as free standing bookshelf or tower speakers.

But, I've got to go with in-wall (or in-ceiling) speakers.

Please help me out with directing to me to some top brands for these speakers. Also, what sort of center channel do you use with these speakers?

Thanks in advance.

2. David Barteaux

David Barteaux Stunt Coordinator

3. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

Triad. Period. [​IMG]

4. Troy McHenry

Troy McHenry Extra

B&W has a line which is fair, if you want the best look no futher than Thiel (http://www.thielaudio.com). Their powerpoint and powerplane speaker are the best in-wall speakers. Thiel actually sells more of them then they do their regular floorstanding models.
    my 2 cents...
    -Troy

5. mctague

mctague Stunt Coordinator

California Audio Technology, while having a rather dated-looking website, does have some fairly impressive looking implementations.
    26 subwoofers in the room. 16 for LFE, 2 per channel, so this is a lowly [​IMG] 5 channel system:
    http://www.calaudiotech.com/cat1/featurenav.html
    I do have a local dealer, but I've never actually heard them.

6. Michael Botvinick

Michael Botvinick Stunt Coordinator

If you are on a budget check out Home Theater Direct.

If not I have heard the Defiitive Technologies in-wall and they sounded really good and I am NOT an advacate of in-wall speakers.

Good Luck

7. Bill Lucas

Gotta disagree with the Thiel plug. The Powerpoints are NOT inwall speakers (they are onwall), they sound thin and shrill to my ears and they don't integrate well with subs. Thiel tends to "voice" their speakers to appeal to a certain market so you will either love the sound or hate it. BTW, I have experience installing over 20 brands of inwall and onwall speakers. Good luck in your search.

8. Michael Botvinick

Bill,

Since you have installed so many speakers please help us out. In two weeks I will install 8 in-ceiling speakers, the corresponding Vol. control. Plus I will also install 4 rear channels in my new HT. You downplayed Theil, so what would you recommend? My wife will want to paint the grills to match. As stated in my other post, I was cosdering Home Theater Direct for the in-ceiling. Any experience with them? Any advice would be great. How hard is it to cut the openings and install?

Thanks,

Michael

9. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

Michael,

Give Bill a budget so he can make a recommendation without going outside of your price range. In walls, like everything else go from $100 to mega $$$$.

10. Michael Botvinick

Sorry Bill,

Just noticed your other post from earlier and went to the Triad web site. They speakers look great and have a cutt-off at 80hz. These would be perfect for my surround.

How much are the Triad InWall Bronze/4 Surround? or the Silver? And can someone who is not on Tool Time install these easily?

Thanks I would really apreciazte the advice.

11. Michael Botvinick

Thanks Brian,

For the in-ceiling which will be just background music, cheap is better that is why I was looking at Home Thet. Direct. For $60 each the in-ceilings look OK. Especially when you have to buy 8 of them. For the 4 rear channels, the more I rear about Traid, the better they look. Still on a budget though. Would like to spend about $100 each. My front three speakers are Def Techs 2002 and 3000 matching center.

12. Marshall Sander

Brian - good idea to give a budget; especially after Troy's recommendation of the Thiel - $1300 for each Powerpoint speaker.

My budget for in-wall or in-ceiling speakers is $2500 for six speakers (LF, CF, RF, LR, CR, RR). My Center front speaker will not be in-wall.

I will use my existig subwoofer and buy a nicer sub in a couple of months.

So far, thanks to everyone who replied. I've seen a lot of speakers that I never would have known existed. The problem with many of them is I can't find a dealer who sells them.

13. Bill Lucas

Michael,

The Omni Round InCeiling speakers retail for $600 a pair. A pair of Silver Omni InWalls are $700 and do a great job. I'll have to check pricing on the Bronze and Silver surrounds but they are more expensive. Hope this helped.

Installing inwall or inceiling speakers is fairly straitforward. Most speakers come with a template for hole cutting and after that it's a simple matter. The Triads can be ordered with NCBs ( new construction brackets) that make mounting extremely easy.

Marshall,

How big is your room and is it open or closed (dedicated)? Triad Bronze InWall LCRs could make an excellent front soundstage depending on the size of the room and your could use Bronze InWall Surrounds and Silver Omni InWalls in the rear and stay arround or within your budget. Good luck.

14. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

I'd have to go with Klipsch In-wall's on this one, I love the sound of horns, and oh my, I love the reference driver woofers [​IMG]

15. Marshall Sander

Bill - my room is 15x20, with the television centered on the 20' wall. The room is acoustically challenged -- it has a peaked ceiling, hardwood floors, missing the left wall, and glass doors in the rear.

I appreaciate any suggestions you might have. Thanks.

16. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

Paradigm makes three lines of inwalls. I believe for your budget you can get the inwalls in their Reference line, and the Studio-CC center. I haven't demoed them and so cannot comment on sound quality.

17. John Desmond

John Desmond Stunt Coordinator

Another vote for Triad. Great inwalls!

18. Michael Botvinick

John,

Where did you buy/demo the Triads from? And which models did you hear? They are not easy to find

19. Bill Lucas

Michael,

Triads are a custom installers dream. They are marketed mostly (IMHO) to custom installation companies.