In-wall speakers, should I consider these?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Todd^B, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Todd^B

Todd^B Stunt Coordinator

I have not seen many people discuss in wall speakers very much at all.

Are they even worth looking into, or should I go straight to the tower/surround speaker section of my local store? Are they comparable?

I am creating my basement home theater from scratch. I am just getting the framing started now, so I would like to get some ideas. Space is a minor concern, sound is a major concern here.

Can anyone recommend a good set of fronts and surrounds? ($700-$1000 range) And maybe a good receiver for the speakers. Probably go 7.1 ($800-900 range) My current center is a small HK (forget the model #), and a decent Yamaha sub that I will use until I get more money.

Another thing I should mention...I will be getting a projector for my home theater. We will be seated about 14-16 away from the screen. The overall room dimensions are 25x26 feet. I would also like to have a 2nd room option and maybe a 3rd also.

In wall speakers that I have listened to:
    Polk Audio RC65I $249
    Polk Audio RC55I $139 (liked these better than the RC65Is)
    Infinity INFERS210
    Klipsch RCW-3
    Klipsch RCW-5

2. Perry Jonkheer

Perry Jonkheer Second Unit

Sound being a major concern and this is a dedicated room, I would get Dipoles. Do not bother with inwalls because you will compensate sound quality. The only reason I have them is because I simply do not have room for dipoles and they would look goofy in my room.

Hope this helps...

3. Todd^B

Todd^B Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the help. Any suggestions on speakers and possibly a receiver then?