In-wall Speakers placed in Ceiling?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EdL, Dec 7, 2002.

1. EdL

EdL Auditioning

Does anyone know why most in-wall speakers are rectangular and 2 & 3-way configurations and ceiling speakers resemble car speakers?

The home we purchased has in-wall speakers (SpeakerCraft 6.0 RT) in the ceiling. They sound like nothing but mid-range. I will be building a box to enclose them, which should help.

I'm wondering if I should just replace them with, "normal", speakers.

Any experience or opinions on using in-walls in the ceiling?

2. Daniel Levin

Daniel Levin Extra

Inwall speakers utilize the wall as an infinite baffle and in theory don't need an enclosure. I use Paradigm inwall speakers as my rear surrounds and they sound very good. You may want to insert dampening material between the ceiling joists if there is no insulation, or push insulation away if it is too close.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

4. EdL

EdL Auditioning

Wayne,

I'm trying to find out why in-walls and in-ceilings are built the way they are? Is it because the sound is traveling down versus across etc. I am one of the few people that I know of that have in-wall speakers in the ceiling. Most if not all in-ceiling speakers are round and resemble car speakers while the in-wall speakers more closely resemble bookshelk speakers. Why? Is there something inherently better with the respective designs?

For the records I hate the way the SpeakerCraft 6.0's sound and I'm looking for a replacement.