What's new

In-wall speakers for home theater? (1 Viewer)

RobLJ

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone recommend going to in-wall speakers? Pros-cons? I'm still not sold on the idea though.

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
I was actually forced to go all in-ceiling because of a really difficult room...even the center channel.

As long as you go for quality components and are patient when calibrating it can sound quite excellent. Just make sure you choose components that have some flexibility in aiming. The Energy Veritas Custom 2.0's I used have a center pod with the tweeter and twin mids configured so that the entire pod rotates to aim the sound. They're also switchable di-bipole so I could really tailor the room.

Pros
-Flexibility in placement only limited by structural supports (I had a major support where the center would have gone...so I went with two...equidistant from center screen.)
-It fulfilled the wife's "hide the technology" edict.
-Carefully sprayed grills and frames match the paint/decor.
-"WOW factor" when people hear amazing sound coming from nowhere.

Cons
-Fishing wire
-Not feasible to test for optimal placement...once they're in they're in.
-Sound traveling to the adjacent room.

RobLJ

Stunt Coordinator
I like the idea of being able to keep the equipment 'out of sight' and match it to the room. I'll keep noodling it.

Did you use anyting to sound deaden the walls?

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
We really only hear it in the master bedroom which is directly above, not that my Denon 3805 can't make other parts of the house feel it. :D Since it was all done ala remodel I was limited as to how much deadening I could do. This wasn't a rip all the drywall out remodel but a go through the floor of the bedroom above to run the wiring because we were going to replace the carpet anyway...remodel.

I managed to fill most of the space between joists with insulation recommended for sound absorption. For the spaces I couldn't get to I at least made sure that the speakers themselves were surrounded by insulation...also to prevent any unwanted bass reproduction.

If you haven't already, check out my home theater page. There are a few shots at the bottom where you can see the speaker placement. The 4th picture down is the aforementioned bedroom floor.

RobLJ

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the help guys.

I don't think I want to go IB just yet. I do have a place to keep the sub out of sight.

Paul, nice makeover on that room. :emoji_thumbsup:

djsHTnut

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Daniel
Here is a link to my setup.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...ad.php?t=31945

I have changed some of the decor, but you can see my In-walls on the main wall picture. I really like my in wall setup.

Pros and Cons for me:

Pros-
1. Leaves more floor space.
2. Looks really good and impressive.
3. IMO Sounds really good.
4. Easy to install, Minus running wire.

Cons-
1. Once its in its in, would be difficult to patch holes, but if I sold my house the living room and dining room share space so it would look nice to prospective home buyers having the speakers out of the way.
2. Makes it hard to upgrade speakers, you would have to upgrade to an equal or larger size speaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks