What's new

In-wall speakers for 7.1 (1 Viewer)

Steve Taylor

Auditioning
I'm considering using inwalls for my back surround channels instead of book shelves. The speakers would have to be above a door and the seating area is going to be about 4 feet from the rear wall. Would this be to close? Im wondering if using bookshelves and angling them down some would work better.

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
I went with bookshelf speakers for 2 reasons

1) ease of upgrade

2) superior sound to in wall speakers

Don't get me wrong, there are some really good sounding in wall speakers out now, but I think that most people on this forum will agree that bookshelf speakers are going to sound a lot better.

I have been also trying to decide if I want to go the inwall route with the Paradigm AMS-250. The sales guy At East Hamilton Radio said that they would be the best match for my Mini Monitors, but I havn't been able to get any feedback to see if this is a bad idea.
My home theatre is not that large (aprox 12'x16') and I wanted a little cleaner look than having my titans hanging on the walls.(WAF taken into acount :) )

I notice that there is very little posted on the subject of inwall speakers. I am building a dedicated HT room 11'X15' and the designer has specifically listed Triad Silver or Atlantic Technology inwalls to go with my Polk rt2000p mains and Polk CS400 center. After looking at the price on the Triads I am probably going to go with Polks. Either 35i's or a combination of 35i and FXi50's. I want the audio for surround music as much as movies but am having a hard time deciding what would be the best setup. With nowhere locally to listen to properly setup dipole/bipole speakers, I don't know if I'll like the sound with music.

I would appreciate any comments on any of the subjects and if anyone has experience with inwalls I would love to hear it.

Regards
Emmett

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
Emmett,
I had the FX300's and RT25i's in my HT (7.1 system) and was very pleased with the sound from both. Although my web page does not show them yet, I just upgraded to the Polk Lsi series and am waiting for the Lsi15's to arrive, hopefully some time this week. I have already setup my new Lsi7's, LsiFX, and LsiC.
Go with the FX50's for the surrounds, and the 35's for the rear speakers, you won't be disappointed. If you can audition the Lsi models you might catch the Upgrade Bug.
You might want to check out http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com and see what kind of response you get to your question from other Polk owners.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks