What's new

In-wall speakers as rear centers? (1 Viewer)

Anthony Moore

Supporting Actor
I just ordered the Denon 3802, and as everyone knows, it has 7.1 channels with the two rear centers. Well, my couch is against the back wall with no chance of moving it out at all.
What do you guys think of getting a pair of in-wall speakers for the rear centers?? I figure if I buy regular speakers, then they will be more ABOVE my head sticking out from the wall rather than behind me. If theyre in-wall, then I think itll work out. But are any in-walls good for this purpose?
I have Paradigm Monitor 11's as my mains, and paradigm all around so far. Paradigm makes in-walls too:
http://www.6ave.com/product.jsp?x=AMS100R http://www.6ave.com/product.jsp?x=AMS300
Will either of those be ok? I would rather, of course, buy the cheaper ones, but I dont know if theyll do the trick. Any input would be great.
Thanks

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
my only concern would be the timbre-matching.
as long as the in-walls sound the "same" as your other speakers then i think it's a good idea.
------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

Anthony Moore

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the input. Does anyone know if eitehr of these will do? Will they match? If not, are they close enough to do a good job?
Thanks

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Anthony,
Before you go spending $300-$500 on in-walls you might want to try these:
http://www.audioc.com/speakers/BFlat/bflat.htm
I have a pair of the coaxials that I'm using as my rear speakers and think they're great. At $135 for a pair it might be worth a shot. At least if you don't like them you can send them back.
Brian
------------------

DavidMich

Stunt Coordinator
I have 2 In-Wall M&K speakers for the side surrounds and 2 additional M&Ks for the center surround, mounted in the ceiling behind the sweet spot. The sound is phenomenal.
There is NOTHING wrong with using in-wall speakers.
As stated above, the main thing is timbre-match. Second most important is location, location, location!!
If you are using Paradigm speakers up front, then by all means, use nothing but Paradigm for your surrounds.
As long as they are placed properly, you will be very pleased.
------------------
The choices we make define our lives, because choice, not chance, determines destiny.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Get the rectangular Paradigms. A friend is using Studio 40s and a similar pair of Paradigm's in-walls (I don't have the model off the top of my head, but they have the same drivers as the Studio series) and they are very impressive. I was shocked at how good the in-walls sounded. I say go for it.
icon14.gif

------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)

Mike OConnell

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
I am using the Paradigm Reference SA-10R's in-ceiling for my rears and they do a fantastic job! They timbre match great with my Studio 60's, CC's, and ADP's!
Or, depending on the rest of your speakers, you may want to consider somthing like the Boston Acoustic Micro 80's or 90's with their better mounting hardware to allow pointing them where you want.
Or, B&W has some speakers, the LM-1, or the WP-1 that can easily be mounted and swiveled as needed.
Good Luck,
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks