In-wall speaker wiring

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by JoeFish, Jul 27, 2003.

1. JoeFish

JoeFish Stunt Coordinator

Hey all. I'm getting ready to wire my house up for sound. I'm planning on running the speaker wire in-wall, and having 5-way binding posts near where I'm putting the speakers.

My question is, do I need to run a certain type of speaker cable for in-wall applications? I have thick, 12gu cable I was going to use, but a friend suggested I get something designed for in-wall use.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

-Joe

2. Kevin Eckhardt

Kevin Eckhardt Stunt Coordinator

It's best to use in-wall wiring. It is designed specifically for that purpose, and is most likely required by the building/electrical codes in your area. Parts Express has Carol Cable in-wall 12 gauge speaker cable for ~$20 per 100ft. Item number 100-740. It's been recommended on the forum before and is what I plan to use for my in-wall speaker cable runs.

Kevin

3. BobK

BobK Extra

This is from memory, so I'm not 100% sure that I'm right, but in wall speaker wire is designated as CL2. So any wire that is CL2 or CL3 or above is OK for in the wall use.

4. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

Home Depot also has in-wall rated wire and you can get it cut to the length you want.